List Mgmt. The Kelly and All Draft and Trades Discussion Thread- #freetim #ITSHAPPENING

What will we pay for Kelly?

• 2019 1st, future 2020 1st and 2nd for Kelly and their 2020 2nd

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • 2019 1st and future 2020 1st

Votes: 99 46.9%
  • 2019 1st plus a player e.g. Petrucelle, Brander

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • 4th rounder and Kurt Mutimer

Votes: 35 16.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Geelong has constantly been in Freo's ear trying to get something happening.

In a world where Geelong behaved like a professional football club and negotiated like everyone else, I don't think the Purples would have bothered.
No doubt.

I also think that Bell being a very green footy manager with no experience, and also being a bloke with a giant ego, is contributing to this behaviour. He wants to be the hero footy manager that wows the footy world and gets a unlikely trade done that everybody applauds. He wants to make his mark and make a name for himself. A more experienced footy manager who was less eager to make a name for himself would not waste time chasing players, let alone offering up top 10 picks for players, who had repeatedly told him that they did not want to be at his club.

Nor would they appear on trade radio making comments on trades that have nothing to do with their club. In fact, i bet the most experienced footy dept and list bosses almost never appear on trade radio at all. Because there is no point. You can't do or say anything on there that positively impacts anything for your club on there. So if you were experienced and knew what you were doing, and wanted to direct your time and attention to purposeful things, you would not appear on trade radio at all unless a trade had already been done and you wanted to give some kind of update to your clubs supporters. Let alone appear on their every day giving a running commentary on trades that you might get involved in. But Bell is stroking his own ego by going on there and commenting on things that are none of his business.

Yep, saw that headline on the Worst Aust. Scott fears Kelly is missing link to WC premiership chances!
That was Scotts argument last trade season as well!
It's a pretty f*kd attitude inmho, i know it's a tough business and a ruthless competition with a lot of money involved-but to try and limit another club's shot at finals by manipulating or deflecting trades is a new low...am I being naive?
If we had embedded TK for 2019 season, would the result be the same?
Chris Scott would go as far as taking cheap shots. a bit unethical just because TK has asked to be traded to a team that Geelong don't want him to go to

Victorian media last year : Kelly has no right to ask for a trade after just one year

Victorian media this year : Hey St Kilda are you talking to Ben King about a return home to join his brother

The deal falls through. Kelly goes into the draft. We trade for a pick higher than pick 6 most likely five.We pick Kelly in the draft with early pick.Geelong get nothing .You know its a thing.
How would that ever happen, Sydney looking at trading 5 for Daniher, we'd have to pay the earth for 5.

Last edited:
Yes. There was no way we were getting over Geelong with the Willie news dropping when it did.
Geelong wouldnt have been where they were without kelly so the whole finals series wouldve looked a lot different

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Victorian media last year : Kelly has no right to ask for a trade after just one year

Victorian media this year : Hey St Kilda are you talking to Ben King about a return home to join his brother

The continual double standards are so blatant now and unfortunately seem to be on the rise.

Crows going to have multiple players heading out of their side this year and a lot of draft picks. They may want to move some of that currency across to next years draft.

If it comes down to something as simple as 14,24 and 33 for Kelly (which i feel is distinct overs) I do wonder how the crows would feel about our first rounder next year for 23 and 28. Would still give us a genuine presence in this draft with the ability to pick up 2 quality talents.

The continual double standards are so blatant now and unfortunately seem to be on the rise.

In more positive news. TR was just talking about the doomed AFC camp. Apparently Freo is one of the only clubs that doesn't have full time sport psych/ welfare staff at the club.

This would not be a good thing for someone like TK considering his personal family circumstances.

We are very well resourced when it comes to player welfare. Combine that with reports he rebuffed meeting with Longmuir and we are in the driver's seat here.

There might be some foot stamping from the Cats and it may take longer to seal the deal than we fans would like, but it will get done. This trade has game set match written all over it.

Anyone else concerned with the big young midfielders hole on our list if we trade ourselves out of the 2019 & 2020 drafts?

Sheed at 24 is our youngest best-22 mid, then we have nothing. Brayshaw & Ainsworth appear very limited in their athleticism & skills respectively. Foley & O'Neill while still early days, didn't exactly have elite talent WAFL seasons either.

If we don't bring in a young midfielder until the 2021 draft (meaning he doesn't play until 2022), our entire midfield with the exception of Yeo (29) and Sheed (27) will be over 30. And we all know how quickly Eagles fall off after 30 because of the travel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that Brendon Goddard has come and said:

“In this case it does feel like (Daniher) he owes the club,” Goddard told RSN.

“As much as the injuries affected him, he could’ve gone about it in a better way with his rehab, particularly the first time around.

“At the time I didn’t think he dedicated himself hard enough to recovering and rehab and giving himself the best chance to get up and play and get himself right.

“That’s why it’s a bit disappointing.”

I guess the media will be saying "Ïf Joe wants to go to Sydney, it's incumbent on him to talk to GWS as
well, so Esssendon can get the best deal for him.

I mean, that's how it works doesn't it?

Trade 14 and future first to Saints for pick 5.

Offer 5 to Geelong to take him in draft
In this scenario why even offer Geelong 5?

We can take him there and we'd be denying Geelong a top class talent.

Anyone else concerned with the big young midfielders hole on our list if we trade ourselves out of the 2019 & 2020 drafts?

Sheed at 24 is our youngest best-22 mid, then we have nothing. Brayshaw & Ainsworth appear very limited in their athleticism & skills respectively. Foley & O'Neill while still early days, didn't exactly have elite talent WAFL seasons either.

If we don't bring in a young midfielder until the 2021 draft (meaning he doesn't play until 2022), our entire midfield with the exception of Yeo (29) and Sheed (27) will be over 30. And we all know how quickly Eagles fall off after 30 because of the travel.

The opportunity cost of trading for Kelly is we don't get to use our draft pick to recruit a higher end midfielder.

On the flip, if the trade is successful, you need to factor Kelly in to your assessment of our 2021 midfield. That changes the picture somewhat.

I do agree though. It is something will need to be addressed and the club will need to pay close attention to over the next 3-4 years.

In more positive news. TR was just talking about the doomed AFC camp. Apparently Freo is one of the only clubs that doesn't have full time sport psych/ welfare staff at the club.

This would not be a good thing for someone like TK considering his personal family circumstances.

We are very well resourced when it comes to player welfare. Combine that with reports he rebuffed meeting with Longmuir and we are in the driver's seat here.

There might be some foot stamping from the Cats and it may take longer to seal the deal than we fans would like it will get done. This trade has game set match written all over it.
He must know that if he shows any weakness at all and shows any outward willingness to consider a Fremantle trade that will be like waving a red rag at a bull with Geelong. Given that Fremantle have foolishly signalled their willingness to offer a top 10 pick for a player who doesn't want to be there, i think if Geelong smell any weakness or flexibility on Kelly's part they will just flat out refuse to trade him to us if they think that by doing that Kelly will quickly and easily accept Fremantle instead. His manager and the eagles must have told him that if he wants to get to us he must bluntly and firmly refuse all entreaties from Fremantle.

Not really, we have chosen to trade in Key position players instead of Mids so thats what you end up with.

Now that Brendon Goddard has come and said:

“In this case it does feel like (Daniher) he owes the club,” Goddard told RSN.

“As much as the injuries affected him, he could’ve gone about it in a better way with his rehab, particularly the first time around.

“At the time I didn’t think he dedicated himself hard enough to recovering and rehab and giving himself the best chance to get up and play and get himself right.

“That’s why it’s a bit disappointing.”

I guess the media will be saying "Ïf Joe wants to go to Sydney, it's incumbent on him to talk to GWS as
well, so Esssendon can get the best deal for him.

I mean, that's how it works doesn't it?
I don't understand why so many people dislike Goddard.:astonished:

what on earth are sydney doing? meant to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater - not drinking it:

JONES TELLS SWANS HE WANTS OUT
Zak Jones has informed Sydney that he would like a trade back to Victoria. “Zak is out of contract, he has been transparent, we have had an offer in front of Zak for a long time,” Swans CEO Tom Harley said. “St Kilda is the club that has expressed interest and Zak has let us know that, he has been really transparent about that.”

Maybe it is just how a professional club handles trade period.

Treloar was pick 7 plus their first round from the following year which ended up as pick 8 with a second rounder (28) going back. That is NOT what you are proposing.

Shiel isn't in the same stratosphere as a player but to indulge you was pick 9 (a single figure pick) plus their first from the next year (ended up pick 12) with GWS second going back.

So IF you can replicate those trades then we will be happy. That is NOT what you are proposing in terms of numbers which is the whole point. Get those sort of deals together and I'm quite certain that you have Kelly.

We’re really not far off the first trade for value and it could be manafactured. The Dylan Sheil trade was a shocker, Essendon channeled GC Suns with that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back