Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a bit of a rort let’s be honest but who cares. Past history shows that there is such thing as footy karma. Look at
-Keuezer Cotchin
-Scully/trngrove Dusty
-Finishing last and getting 1st pick at pick 6.
-Rebuilding smack bang in the middle of multiple compromised drafts and in the end landing 3 top 10 picks anyway in Prestia, Caddy and Lynch.
-Getting screwed by Pies and Treloar but the alternative outcome has worked out so much better. Meatball, Rioli and another 1st round pick

We’ll just go out and land another Stack/Pickett/Ross with the pick or get overs in another trade and in the end will be a better outcome anyway bc the footy Gods are real my friends.
Amen brother. Best post ever!!!!!

Edit: I just re-read Brendan Gale’s tweet on the matter and he said they had asked the AFL to review the decision and got the explanation that he fell just short of band 2 compensation in 2019. So that was a very fast process seemingly without any proper challenge to the original decision. And the review appears to have been simply the AFL re-stating their original decision. The club should not be satisfied with this and should pursue the matter at least to the point they are fully satisfied the decision is fair. The AFL should be given the opportunity to conduct a full hearing on the matter, and if they don’t, or even if they do and the club is still not satisfied, it should be off to VCAT for a hearing by an external body. Great fan of Benny Gale but it would not be good enough to leave the matter there without a better explanation to satisfy Richmond supporters and members in my opinion.

Great post MR. The only issue I can see is that the Compensation Table, as I understand it, would be a moving feast. ie the Table now looks different this week after the Ellis (and Ellis Yoeman?) deals have been done. As each deal is done, be it a Free Agency deal or just a re-newed contract, the positions change for quite a number of players around that deal with players moving in and out of bands because of that. I would imagine a Club could check with AFL one week about a possible band placing only to have say six players be re-contracted while the consideration of matching an RFA offer is taking place only to have that player fall out of the higher band. It's a very fluid thing when you are placed near the edges I suspect.

Last edited:
NRL is worse. Just watch the grand final for further proof of how bad they are. Canberra Raiders literally just had a flag taken away from them. Despicable

Have they finally played that game's Grand Final have they.....................................?

the problem with the whole compensation table is that there is wriggle room if the afl doesn't agree with the fixed result. this will always result in speculation about tampering with results. if this wasn't true why don't they just release the criteria for the compensation and end all this. they won't because they want to help the lower clubs and deny the stronger. its is obvious from past results that this happens.

the problem with the whole compensation table is that there is wriggle room if the afl doesn't agree with the fixed result. this will always result in speculation about tampering with results. if this wasn't true why don't they just release the criteria for the compensation and end all this. they won't because they want to help the lower clubs and deny the stronger. its is obvious from past results that this happens.

They can't because the AFLPA doesn't want all over 25 year olds player's contracts publicly released.

They can't because the AFLPA doesn't want all over 25 year olds player's contracts publicly released.
they can release the compensation table without releasing the 25 year old players contract details, can't they??? it's obvious that the clubs don't even understand the rules judging by gales reaction. I think most people have a rough idea of what ellis is getting. its just another way the afl can shift the goal posts if they want.

Its the way it is because clubs manipulate rort just about everything to suit themselves.I think i read that somewhere. They only have themselves to blame in this.I think the Vickery deal fell into this.

With Franklin the afl stuck to its guns the only reason franklin got them pick 19 instead of pick 1 was there ladder finish as the compensation was after their first pick. It may not have been fair to the hawks at the time but it was correct according to the procedure. I didnt hear too many tiger supporters carrying on about that deal.
Some may think the Ellis deal is unfair to us but in all likely hood the afl has stuck to the procedure and to call them cheats or they are going out of their way to undermine smacks of churlishness and hypocricy.

they can release the compensation table without releasing the 25 year old players contract details, can't they??? it's obvious that the clubs don't even understand the rules judging by gales reaction. I think most people have a rough idea of what ellis is getting. its just another way the afl can shift the goal posts if they want.
'
They would need to be releasing it multiple times daily at this time of year. I am not against it, I can just see how unwieldy it would become. I also think the AFL want to avoid manipulation by the Clubs and players so having it as vague as possible means the deal is more likey to get done on it's merits (not what has always been happening), and that teams collude to get better compensation when it's their turn to have a go.

Will never happen while the current people are there at the AFL. Until these people go the admin will continue to be a joke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its the way it is because clubs manipulate rort just about everything to suit themselves.I think i read that somewhere. They only have themselves to blame in this.I think the Vickery deal fell into this.

With Franklin the afl stuck to its guns the only reason franklin got them pick 19 instead of pick 1 was there ladder finish as the compensation was after their first pick. It may not have been fair to the hawks at the time but it was correct according to the procedure. I didnt hear too many tiger supporters carrying on about that deal.
Some may think the Ellis deal is unfair to us but in all likely hood the afl has stuck to the procedure and to call them cheats or they are going out of their way to undermine smacks of churlishness and hypocricy.

Yep, bang on from what I am understanding. After a week of trying to understand it better I am even only now starting to get how fluid the whole thing is. Meteoric Rise did a wonderful post how the Compensation levels are a dogs breakfast of intentions. I'm sure the AFL are well aware of it, as are the Clubs, plenty of brighter minds than on here, there just isn't the will to make wholesale changes to the system of compensation.

I personally think the Clubs better be careful how much they comment (I think that is the case) or complain because I can see how compensation could be lost entirely some day soon if the inequities are pilloried too much. I would suggest that Clubs would rather idiots like some certain AFL-funded journalists shut their lazy arse mouth for fear of speeding up the removal of compensation all together.

Will never happen while the current people are there at the AFL. Until these people go the admin will continue to be a joke

Next station stop - no compensation at all. Be careful what you wish for................

Just trying to get my head around how AFL Clubs are 'rorters' in general and the poor old hard done by afl are struggling to maintain the correct line against a backdrop/chorus of being called cheats etal...
I would have thought it was more a case of AFL Clubs in general trying to obtain the best deal possible for their own players and members at all times!
Ie...RFC with their trade deals last year involving Miles/Lloyd...

Just trying to get my head around how AFL Clubs are 'rorters' in general and the poor old hard done by afl are struggling to maintain the correct line against a backdrop/chorus of being called cheats etal...
I would have thought it was more a case of AFL Clubs in general trying to obtain the best deal possible for their own players and members at all times!
Ie...RFC with their trade deals last year involving Miles/Lloyd...

Well, start by asking yourself how would a Club value getting Pick39 turned into Pick21 last Draft? What might a Club be willing to pay in all manner of ways to make that happen? Go easy on another trade that is being done, make it hard for another Club as a trade off, are simple non-monetary examples. There would be hundreds of ways to make that happen if creative enough.

Well, start by asking yourself how would a Club value getting Pick39 turned into Pick21 last Draft? What might a Club be willing to pay in all manner of ways to make that happen? Go easy on another trade that is being done, make it hard for another Club as a trade off, are simple non-monetary examples. There would be hundreds of ways to make that happen if creative enough.
No argument from me in those scenarios PA...just saying that Clubs have a duty of care to their own players and members to get the right deals done by the rules...even questioning how a Draft pick of 21 turned into the outer limits of Pick39...

No argument from me in those scenarios PA...just saying that Clubs have a duty of care to their own players and members to get the right deals done by the rules...even questioning how a Draft pick of 21 turned into the outer limits of Pick39...

And your most salient words are 'By the rules'. Draft manipulation is whispered not shouted from roof tops

Get a load of this tripe - explanation from the afl as to why we received band 3 and not band 2 comp for Ellis. Whilst Ive moved on and Im sure the club has too, it stinks and puts to rest the heresay and what ifs of the situation

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/e...d/news-story/1fb8f2254d616de8b40684477dd011e3

Ned_Flanders so its been disclosed today that both Lycett and Motlop were offered less guaranteed money than Ellis

Yep, but as the article stated, the number of $500k deals rose this year, reducing the ranking of the ellis offer to the others out there this year

So not a grand AFL conspiracy to * over Richmond , just wrong deal at wrong time

Get a load of this tripe - explanation from the afl as to why we received band 3 and not band 2 comp for Ellis. Whilst Ive moved on and Im sure the club has too, it stinks and puts to rest the heresay and what ifs of the situation

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/e...d/news-story/1fb8f2254d616de8b40684477dd011e3

Ned_Flanders so its been disclosed today that both Lycett and Motlop were offered less guaranteed money than Ellis

What a crock of bullshit. On more money than the other compo picks but less than other 25 year olds? GAGF

Yep, but as the article stated, the number of $500k deals rose this year, reducing the ranking of the ellis offer to the others out there this year

So not a grand AFL conspiracy to fu** over Richmond , just wrong deal at wrong time

Don;t like it, but it is what it is. I can't see how so many smart people don't understand the constant fluidity of the Compensation Table. And still no-one can tell me how many 25 year olds there are in the AFL when they bleat about the compensation situation. That is the starting point to understand it better - know what the pool is......

Don;t like it, but it is what it is. I can't see how so many smart people don't understand the constant fluidity of the Compensation Table. And still no-one can tell me how many 25 year olds there are in the AFL when they bleat about the compensation situation. That is the starting point to understand it better - know what the pool is......

That info is available on the various player databases

Ron The Bear do you have this detail?

That info is available on the various player databases

Ron The Bear do you have this detail?

Of course it is, but I haven't heard from anyone complaining that they know what the pool is to try and justify their potential gripe. They just don;t like the sound of their problem. Know what the parameters are before you state what the problem is if you want it to be taken seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back