Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

When I saw him live the big knock on him was that he looked so fatigued that even though he was at the contest he couldn't impact at all. Hands on hips.

Has improved that facet of his game immensely. He does the work and you need players to show the way by simply doing the work. Has earnt his place.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We bemoan the lack of a midfield that works hard both ways, then get surprised when the one who does this better than most polls well in an award judged by those who know his role and strengths best.

I agree. I don't think that he would be effective in a top 4 team or that he is highly rated outside of the club but he does offer the two way running we sorely lack. Like Liam Anthony and Gibson before him, flawed wingman can thrive in middle of the road teams if their desire is string enough, and to Dumont's credit, it absolutely is.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd say he is better than Brandon Ellis.
Hard to compare any of our guys with the tigers because the system they have is different to ours, but yeah, he's marginally better, according to the ""stats""

Screenshot_20191006-221740.png
Screenshot_20191006-221808.png
Screenshot_20191006-221831.png
Screenshot_20191006-221841.png

He'd want to be better than Ellis if he's 3rd in the Syd and we are any chance for a flag.

But I totally understand the guys who don't rate him. He's not great in the air but we couldn't ask for a more well rounded link up player and I trust him much more than I do Ahern as a defensive mid.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
The next career progression move for TD then needs to be spending alot more time in the centre square.

This was his strength in juniors and because the coaching group see him as a hard running mid that can win and use the ball then the obvious move is to get him the guts - this is especially the case given how poorly we have been performing in that area.
Agree, throw him in the middle more this year especially if we grab Ash or Stephens with our first.

Some pats on the back going on around here...

FWIW it is possible to rate Dumont's contribution, his workrate and his place in the team - and still be open to the possibility that he, along with a number of other players could potentially be traded to make us a stronger all round team.

I think he is a great team first player and puts in massive work on (and off) the field. If we don't make the right changes around him though it will be for nought IMO.

He's not great in the air but we couldn't ask for a more well rounded link up player and I trust him much more than I do Ahern as a defensive mid.

Very fair IMO. I don't think he's as good on the inside as many seem to believe as well - being a slower mid doesn't necessarily mean you're a great clearance mid. To take your example, Ahern would be a mile ahead as a pure clearance player. Horses for courses and balance being the key things.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I still haven't changed my view that he's one of the most vulnerable blokes in the team, and I don't give two stuff's about any "role playing" crap the footy dept might acknowledge.

He doesn't have line breaking pace or great foot disposal. Two things that Bailey Scott & Jared Polec have in spades.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I still haven't changed my view that he's one of the most vulnerable blokes in the team, and I don't give two stuff's about any "role playing" crap the footy dept might acknowledge.

He doesn't have line breaking pace or great foot disposal. Two things that Bailey Scott & Jared Polec have in spades.

I agree but at this stage it is up to someone to take his spot and we haven't had that happen yet. He is doing a good job with the skillset he has.

I believe that he'll transition to half-forward when Bailey is primed to go in 24 months time.

I like him, he's a natural footballer, not many of them left at the top level in an age of athletes getting selected for rep sides from U14 upwards.

With that said, thought his output this year was sub-par. Surprised by his SB result.

Serious question, who does the voting?
score out of 10 from the senior coach and another score out of 10 from the assistants as a group for a max of 20.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Small defender only, and only on an opponent who is no good in the air.
What are you talking about?? He's never played as a small defender in his career, is completely unsuited to that role, and just finished equal 3rd in our BnF as a midfielder.

The fact that Mr Symbiosis doesn't understand his role and its effect on Polec/Bailey's ability to play more eye catching roles doesn't mean it isn't valued by the club.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
What are you talking about?? He's never played as a small defender in his career, is completely unsuited to that role, and just finished equal 3rd in our BnF as a midfielder.

The fact that Mr Symbiosis doesn't understand his role and its effect on Polec/Bailey's ability to play more eye catching roles doesn't mean it isn't valued by the club.

Why do we get cut up by quick teams?

I agree but at this stage it is up to someone to take his spot and we haven't had that happen yet. He is doing a good job with the skillset he has.
If someone does take his spot, his trade value will be next to nothing. Right now after a top 5 B&F finish, he would have at least some currency.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Port are a quicker side than us and we all know what happened.

Same with the Dogs and we beat them.

You talking about the dead rubber?

I'm talking about teams when our season was on the line... GWS, Dons, Cats etc... West Coast.

Not nothing games against s**t teams.

We get flogged because our inside mids are treacle and our outside mids have as much hurt factor as a feather duster in addition to being slow (Polec the clear exception).

He is part of the problem, not the solution.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We bemoan the lack of a midfield that works hard both ways, then get surprised when the one who does this better than most polls well in an award judged by those who know his role and strengths best.

If only the Skipper and Cunnington could improve their tank and running ability like Dumont has over the past 3 years.

Maybe then Froggy wouldn’t have to cover their direct opponents every time there is a turnover...

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Bailey’s disposal isn’t that flash either...it’s the main reason why we didn’t get an earlier big for him in the draft.

He is also coming off a serious foot injury. He isn’t as close to taking Dumont’s spot as you’d like to think.

Last edited:

I'm talking about teams when our season was on the line... GWS, Dons, Cats etc... West Coast.

We get flogged because our inside mids are treacle and our outside mids have as much hurt factor as a feather duster in addition to being slow (Polec the clear exception).

To be fair, games against Dogs and Port that we won weren't dead rubbers to them.
We effectively ended Port's season as well as Hawthorn's.

But Port's season was on the line yah turkey.

If only the Skipper and Cunnington could improve their tank and running ability like Dumont has over the past 3 years.

Maybe then Froggy wouldn’t have to cover their direct opponents every time there is a turnover...

True, although fair to say that if Cunnington and JZ could increase there running similar to Dumont has over the last 3 years that might not necessarily make his spot any more secure...

Back