MMA-UFC UFC 243 - October 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Israel was on and made Rob look poor. AFTER he was losing the first round. Dropped him at the end of it too.

You were taking it away from Israel. Your post was contradicting.
Considering you though Megan Anderson was a kiwi and that 2 Aussies fought each other (which never happened) I wouldn't be sniping other posters

Rob's had a history of getting knocked down by his opponents. Brunson and Romero both were able to land heavy on his chin. He was able to take both of those and was probably given longer to scramble by the Ref but meh was being out classed anyway. Unfortunately for every Izzy is very Jon Jones like, doesn't seem to have any obvious weaknesses. He's a deserving champion.

It's up to Rob now to come back stronger, he's better than he showed in his fight but he's going to have to show alot more composure to trouble someone that good next time.

He made a huge mistake rushing him that last 10s of the first. Should have gone into the second with a 10-9 behind him and made izzy do more work. As soon as Adesanya landed that counter his corner should have smartened him up but instead he went even harder in the 2nd.

My feeling is Izzy is definitely a slow (methodical) starter but I think that's the time to take him down or atleast mix in some attempts. If he gets you with some world class BJJ then so be it standing and trading with a world class kick boxer with 6.5 inches of reach is a terrible game plan.

I think they over reacted to Gastelums ability to get inside the reach, Izzy would have obviously doubled down on protecting that.

Rob's had a history of getting knocked down by his opponents. Brunson and Romero both were able to land heavy on his chin. He was able to take both of those and was probably given longer to scramble by the Ref but meh was being out classed anyway. Unfortunately for every Izzy is very Jon Jones like, doesn't seem to have any obvious weaknesses. He's a deserving champion.

Wrestling

Well as a big Rob fan it was disappointing, but props to Israel, fought a smart fight and really looked a class above. Rob was trying to bring the pressure but Izzy controlled the distance very well and made him waste a lot of punches.

Anyway we got there before the first fight, I went to the last event at this venue and it's really not made for MMA, we were on level 2, good elevation to see the ground action but quite far away, would have been a lot easier to watch on the screens.

There was a shocker of a Just Bleed guy just near us, his favourite line was "Come on, let's have some blood for Melboooouuuurrrrnnnneeeeee!" Another great line was "Oh it's Snugglepot and Cuddlepie!" when two fighters dared to clinch on the cage. Drinking beers 4 at a time too, even on mid strength beer he was struggling by the end.

Hooker was impressive from start to finish, even calling out Poirier was very smart, not sure if he'll get that fight but a good idea to give it a crack. I actually thought Tai showed improvement in his wrestling, sure he went down very easily but Spivac appeared to have a great judo game. Tai did manage to get back up a lot better than he has previously, obviously didn't end well though.

Disappointed for Tafa as well, that was going to happen to either guy by the way that one was going, hoping he gets another chance.

Not sure what that fight will do for Jake Matthews, was a snooze fest, apparently he called out Condit but I doubt he gets a name like that even if he has hit the skids lately.

Happy for Megan Anderson getting a sub, not sure her opponent was that good but she'll be rapt with that.

All in all still a good day, great atmosphere and the crowd were pretty well behaved from what I saw.

Also had a piss in the chicks dunnies, walked in and though "gee a lot of cubicles in this one" and while I was pissing heard some female voices coming in and the penny dropped. Waited for them to go in and quickly ****ed off out of there, didn't get seen by the 100 or so chicks in attendance.

Robs striking declined about 10 years yesterday. He used to feint and have good shot selection, used neither.

He saw kelvin get inside a couple times and just relied on bumrushing the better counter striker. A TD attempt would have benefitted him greatly, or even some body shots. Headhunting was never the way to go v a world class kickboxer with good movement

Izzy v Jones is the fight to make now imo. Izzy has star power and Jones has no opponent, huge fight if it were to happen. Costa can wait or have an interim title fight

Robs striking declined about 10 years yesterday. He used to feint and have good shot selection, used neither.

He saw kelvin get inside a couple times and just relied on bumrushing the better counter striker. A TD attempt would have benefitted him greatly, or even some body shots. Headhunting was never the way to go v a world class kickboxer with good movement

Izzy v Jones is the fight to make now imo. Izzy has star power and Jones has no opponent, huge fight if it were to happen. Costa can wait or have an interim title fight
Izzy not going to 205 for a little while.

Costa is definitely next. He said he was interested in perhaps Yoel & Cannoneir after.

3 big LHW fights coming up.

Weidman v Reyes
Jacare v Jan
Anderson v Walker

Jones will fight one of them early 2020

Still so annoyed about this result, the next day! Whittaker was such a good, humble champion, not to mention that he has some classic wars in his fight history.

Rob has plenty of time on his side. Most don't realise he's actually a couple of years younger than Adesanya, who people call a "kid". His gameplan was obviously to apply immense pressure, which meant a lot of 100% hooks. He backed his own stamina to be able to throw those for a couple of rounds, and hopefully get the KO.

The problem was that Adesanya is so damn lanky, that maybe only 10% of anything was hitting him. Given his time again, I think Whittaker could get beat him. Needed to pick his shots more, and drag Israel into the deep waters of the 5th round I reckon. Adesanya looked gassed at the end of the Gastelum fight. If he does move up to LHW for Jones, he'll get ****ed up. Jones stamina against Smith and Gustafsson was outlandish, and he's is a fantastic striker but has even better BJJ/wrestling. If Israel wants a legacy, he should stick to fighting guys way shorter than him at middleweight. It's a winning formula, so far.

Probably Gastelum is next for Whittaker, with Adesanya fighting Costa.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Rob goes back and watches his performance a bunch of times with his coaches, because that strategy was never going to end well against a precision striker like Adesanya.. His hail Mary striking reminded me of Poirier against Khabib - Swing for the fences and hope for the best.

I like Issy, when he's not talking about opponents or fighting. He seems like a good guy on the embedded videos, but f***.. when he's talking about his opponents. :rolleyes:

I think that one becomes a war, though I'm not sure how good Whittaker's chin is now, maybe Romero cracked it? Either way I think Kelvin would manage to land on him at some point, he looks a bit ungainly but is damn effective.

gastelum is probably the best boxer in the division - rob’s boxing yesterday was poor.

1st Romero fight leg was ***ed during the fight...2nd Romero fight breaks arm during the fight...morning of Gastelum fight nearly dies.

Even though Rob was stopped the fact he didn't pick up any set back injuries is a good thing and I think I could sense that relief from him when he spoke after the fight.

I think a fight with Weidman would be cool. Ranking wise it's probably bit off but in terms of dollars & name wise in the middleweights it makes sense.

Whittaker is a fantastic ‘anti-wrestler’ - hard to takedown and really good striking. But as adensaya and thompson have shown he’s not an elite striker - and he’s too stubborn to admit it which cost him his title. However, unless his body/chin is stuffed he has time to regroup. A bit more balance into his game (ie some offensive wrestling which he’s never had to use) and he’s a good chance to be back.

In what was previously a strong wrestling division - Romero, jacare, Weidman, rockhold (which Whitaker’s is the perfect fighter to negate) has changed a bit and the next generation of fighters are better strikers.

Did anyone think Hooker was going to piece up Raging Al like that? He followed up his Poirier callout in a tweet:

Well goddamn it boys. The reaper has fallen. I thought he was doing well but I could have just been hyped up because he was so active.

Well goddamn it boys. The reaper has fallen. I thought he was doing well but I could have just been hyped up because he was so active.

Whittaker is a great fighter. At the end of the day, he fought an excellent striker who is very active in the division with a 7 inch reach advantage. Rob has just had a couple of surgeries, and hasn't fought in just under a year and half.

He's 2 years younger than the new champ, and over a decade younger than guys like Romero. Even an "up and comer" like Costa is the same age as Whittaker, who is already an established champion. He'll be back on the horse in no time.

Did anyone think Hooker was going to piece up Raging Al like that? He followed up his Poirier callout in a tweet:

Yeah I saw that happening tbh. It was a perfect matchup stylistically for Hooker. Al's not quite as technical, fast or explosive as a guy like Barbosa, and he doesn't use his range as well as Hooker does. I think Poirier's power would give Hooker problems, I could see him getting inside Hookers range regularly.
I think Cowboy would be a good fight for him, and I think Cowboy would actually give him a lot of trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back