Coach Is Hardwick now the second best coach in the league behind Clarkson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah dunno, just reckon pound for pound Hardwick gets more out of a list. He could get the worser list to a flag, if you know what I mean.

Clarko suffers a bit by having had a ridiculous amount of talent at his disposal until a couple of years ago

We were tipped to finish 13th or 14th and nearly ended up sneaking in to finals by winning a bunch of games against top 8 teams.

It wasnt luck. Clarko completely transformed the game style.

It has been a very long time 4 years, since Clarko won a final.

In that time, Dimma has won 2 flags and finished minor premier in 2018.

This thread should be titled , Is Clarkson the second best coach in the league, and even then it should be a debate between him and Simpson

I do like the pound for pound analogy with Hardwick I think it explains his strengths well. I heard even throughout 17 and just after that Richmond were an average side, too many average role players, no depth, etc. Hardwick has taken that list that admittedly on paper does have a lot of players that don't look that good and won 2 flags and topped the ladder in between.

Clarko
Hardwick
Simpson

Hard to argue with that order. Bevo not far behind given where he got a Dogs list few rated.

Fagan has turned around a rabble in only a couple of years.

Scott has a strong win loss but finals performances really s**ts the bed.

Longmire was up there but seems lost at the moment.
Fair assessment

This is ridiculous.

Clarko is the best coach of the modern era, miles ahead of Hardwick and an outright #1 for years to come.

He built the Hawks to the '08 flag - and then, despite going through a lull, he built his team up again with pretty much a vastly different personnel (and lack of quality draft picks due to their successful period of earlier) and won it again - 3 TIMES. He inherited nothing (unlike Hardwick), it was all him. That's what separates them both, the undoubted re-builds.

I dislike the Hawks and always have, but I can admit that Clarko fits the mould of an untoucheable coach.

To even put Hardwick close to him is a both pathetic and disgusting.

Last edited:
Clarko
Hardwick
Simpson

Hard to argue with that order. Bevo not far behind given where he got a Dogs list few rated.

Fagan has turned around a rabble in only a couple of years.

Scott has a strong win loss but finals performances really s**ts the bed.

Longmire was up there but seems lost at the moment.
Pretty hard to argue with this.

On a personal level, I'm also a fan of Buckley. I've never seen anybody change themselves outwardly so much. I actually hope he gets a flag one day because he has, in my eyes anyway, gone from being an arrogant tosser, to a pretty decent guy.

Outwardly anyway.

how is the current premiership coach not the best? if lions win next year, then Chris Fagan will be the best coach in the league, Adam Simpson used to be the best

For me pound for pound Hardwick is no.1. He has turned what in reality is a good solid list into a clear standout team purely by inventing a new game plan.

Clarko very good too but he had a generational list of leaders on board throughout that period of domination.

Clarko very good too but he had a generational list of leaders on board throughout that period of domination.

This doesn't even make sense.

He built a premiership list twice over from scratch, despite it being in two different eras of football, gameplans that he pioneered and made work, 4 times. Inherited nothing.

Get your hand off it.

I do like the pound for pound analogy with Hardwick I think it explains his strengths well. I heard even throughout 17 and just after that Richmond were an average side, too many average role players, no depth, etc. Hardwick has taken that list that admittedly on paper does have a lot of players that don't look that good and won 2 flags and topped the ladder in between.

Having seen it in 2007 with Geelong, I think there's a similar factor. The list has matured and grown at the same time, so the team that had 'only 4 good players' in mid-2017 (I remember reading that a lot) doesn't seem to get described that way now. If you seriously told me Grimes (especially), Edwards, Vlastuin, and Prestia were average role players now I'd question your sanity. A whole group has emerged over three seasons. Strong endorsement of investing in the draft and being patient. If you do it right (and that is a big if) a big clump of the team clicks at exactly the same time.

Anyone who says now it's an average list or whatever just doesn't want to admit they were wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This doesn't even make sense.

He built a premiership list twice over from scratch, despite it being in two different eras of football, gameplans that he pioneered and made work, 4 times. Inherited nothing.

Get your hand off it.
I think we can put this to bed quite simply.

Richmond 2017 was roundly slated as the worst list to win a premiership in the modern era.

Ergo Hardwick must be by definition the better coach.

As a Richmond supporter, who gives a s**t where our coach is ranked among other coaches.

Stuart Dew could be a better coach for all I care..

Richmond are winning, that is all that matters.. I don't care who is steering the ship.

What is it lately with everything needing to be ranked???

Simpson took a team that was predicted to be a wooden spoon team and turned them into premiers.

He polished a turd enough that it was able to shine.

This is ridiculous.

Clarko is the best coach of the modern era, miles ahead of Hardwick and an outright #1 for years to come.

He built the Hawks to the '08 flag - and then, despite going through a lull, he built his team up again with pretty much a vastly different personnel (and lack of quality draft picks due to their successful period of earlier) and won it again - 3 TIMES. He inherited nothing (unlike Hardwick), it was all him. That's what separates them both, the undoubted re-builds.

I dislike the Hawks and always have, but I can admit that Clarko fits the mould of an untoucheable coach.

To even put Hardwick close to him is a both pathetic and disgusting.
The thread doesn’t even remotely challenge Clarkson’s standing as number 1. It suggests Hardwick is number 2, clearly behind Clarkson, but ahead of all else.

I’d challenge you on suggesting Hardwick inherited something above what Clarkson did, given the line around his appointment was ‘worst team since Fitzroy’

The thread doesn’t even remotely challenge Clarkson’s standing as number 1. It suggests Hardwick is number 2, clearly behind Clarkson, but ahead of all else.

I’d challenge you on suggesting Hardwick inherited something above what Clarkson did, given the line around his appointment was ‘worst team since Fitzroy’
When hardwick took over he had at his disposal
-22 year old Delidio, #1 draft pick and had played over 80 games.
-21 year old up and coming J.Riewoldt who'd kicked 32 goals in 2009 and was about to explode
-20 year old Trent Cotchin, #2 draft pick,
-20 year old shane edwards with 30 games under his belt
-30 year old Ben Cousins who was actually pretty good still
-25 year old Jay Schultz
-22 year old Dan Jackson with 50 games under the belt
-27 year old 135 gamer and captain Chris Newman
-22 year old Richard Tambling playing the best footy of his life, 4th in the 2009 BnF.

compare this to Clarko not having buddy, rough, cyril, etc on the list but actually going out and drafting them in the first year

-21 year old up and coming J.Riewoldt who'd kicked 32 goals in 2009 and was about to explode
-25 year old Jay Schultz
-22 year old Richard Tambling playing the best footy of his life, 4th in the 2009 BnF.

compare this to Clarko not having buddy, rough, cyril, etc on the list but actually going out and drafting them in the first year
Hardwick had "the worst team since Fitzroy"
End of

-25 year old Jay Schultz

So four quality kids and a bunch of role players including a cooked Ben Cousins. Not exactly helping your argument. Tambling had one good year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back