Toast Ned Guy and the List Management Team

Remove this Banner Ad

lenny20

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ned Guy and his team deserve massive kudos for their work in retaining our best players on significantly less coin than they could be making elsewhere.

He took over from the fiasco that was Gubby, whose highlights included trading Witts out for picks 44 and 62, Cloke out for 76, Marley out for 105, and paying big dollars for Wells and Mayne. Not the easiest position from which to take the reigns.

Since then, Ned has been in charge of a list management team who has:

- re-signed Jordan De Goey on less coin despite a $5 million "Godfather offer" from North Melbourne
- re-signed Darcy Moore on less coin despite very strong, Joe Daniher-level interest from Sydney. Many journos thought he was gone.
- re-signed Tom Langdon on less coin despite Sydney's interest. Again, most journos had him leaving.
- reportedly has Brayden Sier set to re-sign despite strong rumours of his departure
- re-signed Jamie Elliott despite a significantly bigger contract offer from Brisbane

During that period, we haven't lost anybody of note.

If he can snare Brodie's signature, it's pretty much the perfect record from his two years at the helm.

Maybe not all of it is Ned's doing - perhaps the culture we're building at Collingwood is conducive to players wanting to stay, even for significant unders.

Whatever it is that has our players looking to stick around, long may it continue!

i completely agree, but the next 12 months will make or break his reputation
Grundy, De Goey, Moore and Pendlebury all out of contract in the same year that we need to bring a superstar KPF into the team i.e Jeremy Cameron
We need all those 4 at the club in 2021.

After all that, why are the media constantly discussing our salary cap pressures?

SEN we’re discussing the wce re Kelly trade. They mentioned Nic Nat is on $1million a season and so is McGovern. You then add Darling, Kennedy, Gaff, Shuey who would be on decent coin. I’m sure Lycett didn’t join the club for small coin. Then you have Hurn who should be on decent coin. Yet they are able to afford Kelly??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After all that, why are the media constantly discussing our salary cap pressures?

SEN we’re discussing the wce re Kelly trade. They mentioned Nic Nat is on $1million a season and so is McGovern. You then add Darling, Kennedy, Gaff, Shuey who would be on decent coin. I’m sure Lycett didn’t join the club for small coin. Then you have Hurn who should be on decent coin. Yet they are able to afford Kelly??

Lycett left the club, he didn't join it.

They guess

Agree with OP. Results so far have been good.

In the end, I think most players sign because they enjoy the club culture, and feel they can reach their potential ( both personally and as a team).

Even if this means accepting less money than offered elsewhere.

Buckley needs to take a lot of credit for creating an environment in which players are prepared to make financial sacrifices in order to stay part of his team.

Lycett left the club, he didn't join it.

True. I stand corrected on that.

They obtained Vardy but he didn’t cost too much.

But the salary cap doesn’t seem to be a problem in recruiting who they want.

Really...... I'd prefer to hand over list management to the social media guru's. They really know their stuff with key drivers of hindsight, useless meaningless stats and forgetting all mention of previous 'list moves', both ours and other clubs, that stunk it up and continue to stink it up.

Grundy, De Goey, Moore and Pendlebury all out of contract in the same year that we need to bring a superstar KPF into the team i.e Jeremy Cameron
There's as much chance of Pendles going elsewhere as there is of WalterBlaknWhte changing his support to Carlton.

I don't think Pendles will be chasing big money on his next contract if he decides to go on. I reckon he'd likely go to year by year extensions and be looking for a lot less. He's had his big payday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However, he is still performing as a top 10 mid (top 5 imo) and top 30 player league wide.

He is, but he's 32 going into 2020 season and that has to start to wain at some stage. It's just the reality, player salaries, like their contributions to the team, tend to have some bell-curve shape.

The big difference is likely that they are not making stupid offers to, or overpay their mid range to lower tier players (like the Pies did initially with Varcoe, Greenwood, Mayne, Wells etc) so they can afford to attract/keep top end talent. Could you see the Eagles paying Mayne $500k? like we did when the Docker were only prepared to pay him $380K

The Wells one is over and the Mayne one has one year left and he actually has played a lot of average / above - average games and some great games. Wells played 5 great games.

The Gubby/Balme manoeuvre has been swept under the rug but that was a disaster. Plain and simple.
Also, Mayne is a great servant and clubman - no issue with him at the club, its the price we've paid that's the issue.

Those Wells and Mayne deals from Gubby, then Gubby getting suspended and us losing Balme was very Eddie.
I think the A.F.L did us a huge favour by suspending Gubby for a year.If he hadn't been banned he would probably still be with us today.I'm sure Eddie would have stuck by him out of a misplaced sense of loyalty and mateship.

The Gubby/Balme manoeuvre has been swept under the rug but that was a disaster. Plain and simple.
Also, Mayne is a great servant and clubman - no issue with him at the club, its the price we've paid that's the issue.
My recollection is that these things happened prior to the 2017 review. Are you saying that they were not addressed at that time?

He is, but he's 32 going into 2020 season and that has to start to wain at some stage. It's just the reality, player salaries, like their contributions to the team, tend to have some bell-curve shape.

Agree at some point the great man will have to start to decline (unless he is Tom Brady in disguise). The other factor for me is, when you listen to him speak in the media or podcasts he is so desperate for another flag (probably especially as captain) I think that he would be fully prepared to take a cut if it meant either keeping a player or getting a player in that would boost our chances of a premiership.

He took over from the fiasco that was Gubby, ...

Hine actually. Remember he had his appendix removed the day after the original Beams negotiation.

whose highlights included trading Witts out for picks 44 and 62, Cloke out for 76, ...

Yeah, I wish! :p

Since then, Ned has been in charge of a list management team who has:

- re-signed Jordan De Goey on less coin despite a $5 million "Godfather offer" from North Melbourne
- re-signed Darcy Moore on less coin despite very strong, Joe Daniher-level interest from Sydney. Many journos thought he was gone.
- re-signed Tom Langdon on less coin despite Sydney's interest. Again, most journos had him leaving.
- reportedly has Brayden Sier set to re-sign despite strong rumours of his departure
- re-signed Jamie Elliott despite a significantly bigger contract offer from Brisbane

Credit due to the whole Football department led by Nathan Buckley actually. Players would have gone elsewhere if they were unhappy with the football program, irrespective of Ned Guy’s powers of negotiation.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back