MMA-UFC UFC 244 : Diaz v Masvidal

Dogcart

Draftee
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I love the fight but honestly I want to see Leon get the fight against Jorge. Realistically after that callout, I see Diaz vs Jorge and maybe Leon vs Tyron. If Leon wins he’ll get the title shot. If Tyron wins, and Colby beats Usman, I think Tyron gets the next shot

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I love the fight but honestly I want to see Leon get the fight against Jorge. Realistically after that callout, I see Diaz vs Jorge and maybe Leon vs Tyron. If Leon wins he’ll get the title shot. If Tyron wins, and Colby beats Usman, I think Tyron gets the next shot
If Masvidal beats Diaz he has the next title shot if he likes, he was in negotiations to fight Usman on this card but it fell through.

He was so much more hype than Leon it’s crazy, add to that if he gets through Nate in fashion.

Huge card. My early predictions:

Diaz def Masvidal
Gastellum def Till
Walker def Anderson
Thompson def Luque
Lewis def Ivanov
Lee def Gillespie

I don't have much of an idea about the other 3 fights.

Last edited:

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Diaz def by Masvidal KO/TKO
Gastellum
def Till KO/TKO
Walker def by Anderson DEC
Thompson
def Luque DEC
Lewis def by Ivanov KO/TKO
Lee
def Gillespie SUB
Rozenstruik
def Arlovski KO/TKO
Burgos
def Amirkhani DEC

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
No love for Gillespie? I reckon he is the dark horse of that division.

He's not a dark horse for anyone who has been paying attention. He's like a lightweight Colby without the douchebag persona. I reckon he will fight for the title one day soon.

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
He's not a dark horse for anyone who has been paying attention. He's like a lightweight Colby without the douchebag persona. I reckon he will fight for the title one day soon.
Seems like it’s just a matter of him not being active enough at the moment. I can’t remember off the top of my head right now his previous opponents but I’m pretty sure Kevin Lee would be his biggest name to date.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Seems like it’s just a matter of him not being active enough at the moment. I can’t remember off the top of my head right now his previous opponents but I’m pretty sure Kevin Lee would be his biggest name to date.

No question inactivity has been an issue for him as he's averaged only 2 fights per year since his UFC debut. Medeiros was his last and biggest name opponent and while he's not a big name he made him look second rate. Kevin Lee is far and away his biggest test, but I like the match up for him. Lee's got decent striking but doesn't appear to have one shot power and I believe his striking is effective because he's got the threat of the takedown in his back pocket. Gillespie on paper is a much higher level wrestler, so if anything I think he would be more concerned about the takedown which may make him cautious.

Problem for him is the lightweight div is by far the most stacked

Agreed it's the most stacked division and therefore the hardest to win a title at, but I don't mind the match ups for him the higher up the rankings you go. The guys at 155 that are just below Khabib in the rankings (Ferguson, McGregor, Poirier etc) are predominantly strikers who have showed weaknesses on the ground which plays in to his hands. I don't know that he'll get to a title shot as an undefeated fighter as there are so many ways to lose in MMA, but I think at 32 he's still young enough to continue to round out his game and get a shot at the gold.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
No question inactivity has been an issue for him as he's averaged only 2 fights per year since his UFC debut. Medeiros was his last and biggest name opponent and while he's not a big name he made him look second rate. Kevin Lee is far and away his biggest test, but I like the match up for him. Lee's got decent striking but doesn't appear to have one shot power and I believe his striking is effective because he's got the threat of the takedown in his back pocket. Gillespie on paper is a much higher level wrestler, so if anything I think he would be more concerned about the takedown which may make him cautious.

Agreed it's the most stacked division and therefore the hardest to win a title at, but I don't mind the match ups for him the higher up the rankings you go. The guys at 155 that are just below Khabib in the rankings (Ferguson, McGregor, Poirier etc) are predominantly strikers who have showed weaknesses on the ground which plays in to his hands. I don't know that he'll get to a title shot as an undefeated fighter as there are so many ways to lose in MMA, but I think at 32 he's still young enough to continue to round out his game and get a shot at the gold.

Have to respectfully disagree on Ferguson showing weakness on the ground. His BJJ is super legit, has one of the most dangerous guards in the world

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Have to respectfully disagree on Ferguson showing weakness on the ground. His BJJ is super legit, has one of the most dangerous guards in the world

Check out his fights with Lee and Castillo if you haven't. Lee took him down easily, mounted him and blasted him in round one, while Castillo controlled him for most of the fight from memory. No doubt he's dangerous off his back and in scrambles with his elbows and submissions, he's shown before that strong top control has troubled him. Gregor is a much stronger wrestler than either of those guys and could cause similar problems. I'm certainly not suggesting that he would dominate Tony, but his style of fighting has shown to be effective against him before.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Personally, I think Gregor's gonna steamroll Lee. while Gregor's sample size is pretty small he's shown to be another Khabib type, I think his pace and intensity will stifle Lee, particularly seeing as Lee's shown to struggle with weight cuts for Lightweight.

Gregor Gillespe's a killer.

In the same style - i'm keen to see how Mark O Madsen shapes in that division too. He and Gregor look like similar styles.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Personally, I think Gregor's gonna steamroll Lee. while Gregor's sample size is pretty small he's shown to be another Khabib type, I think his pace and intensity will stifle Lee, particularly seeing as Lee's shown to struggle with weight cuts for Lightweight.

Gregor Gillespe's a killer.

In the same style - i'm keen to see how Mark O Madsen shapes in that division too. He and Gregor look like similar styles.
Gregor doesn't have the striking yet. If Lee can keep it on the feet he'll have the advantage there

Wish they did Charles Oliveira v Gillespie - would have been a great fight.

Isn't Madsen already 34+? Very little future entering at this age

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gregor doesn't have the striking yet. If Lee can keep it on the feet he'll have the advantage there

Wish they did Charles Oliveira v Gillespie - would have been a great fight.

Isn't Madsen already 34+? Very little future entering at this age
True, but that's a big if, IMO.

Also true, but historically - previous instances of Olympic wrestlers entering the UFC haven't fared too badly despite arriving in their 30's. I certainly wouldn't put a ceiling on what he could accomplish at 34+.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Check out his fights with Lee and Castillo if you haven't. Lee took him down easily, mounted him and blasted him in round one, while Castillo controlled him for most of the fight from memory. No doubt he's dangerous off his back and in scrambles with his elbows and submissions, he's shown before that strong top control has troubled him. Gregor is a much stronger wrestler than either of those guys and could cause similar problems. I'm certainly not suggesting that he would dominate Tony, but his style of fighting has shown to be effective against him before.

You raise fair points. I’m a fanboy so always going to be a little bias haha

Back