No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matty Boyd replacing Longmuir at Collingwood - stepping up to backline & defensive coach. Rapid rise. Feels like he only retired yesterday.

He's only on loan, yeah? We can call him back at any time, like a lovely nice dog off the leash.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
To be fair he hardly slipped through fingers. Went in the second round of the rookie draft, very close to not being drafted at all. Means every single club didn't rate him significantly enough. Credit to him that he is playing well. But for every McPherson taking in that stage of the draft. There is probably another 50 to 100 that never make it at this level.

He would be great to have on the team though. He is a tackling machine

Yes he slipped through our fingers , we gave Honeychurch another year and passed on McPherson . Honey was never going to make it while my you know what points to the ground.
This is not some retro opinion. What I saw of McPherson told me he had some very good AFL qualities , he is now showing exactly that.
My opinion we made a mistake.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
McPherson would be lucky to get a game with us. They were that bad.

Ok sorry , He's rubbish. I take it all back..
It doesnt go from good footballer to rubbish without a whole lot in between. He's a handy player and had a good year, but he would struggle to get a game for us.

Yep whatever you say.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It doesnt go from good footballer to rubbish without a whole lot in between. He's a handy player and had a good year, but he would struggle to get a game for us.

True, he would have found it difficult to get a game but the other side of the coin is he may have blossomed playing in a decent team, that is, us.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
True, he would have found it difficult to get a game but the other side of the coin is he may have blossomed playing in a decent team, that is, us.
Possibly, would be good depth at the least. I think he'd be in the Hayes, Gowers, Honeychurch bracket of getting a game here and there but struggling to get a consistent game.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Bad day? Given I've just disagreed with your opinion and not had a go at you - I didn't even quote you initially, these are rather abrupt and unusual responses.

No bad day for me.
Just an observation , and could be totally wrong , but your responses can often seem a put down of another opinion.
Rest assured I don't lose any sleep over dissagreement on here !

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No bad day for me.
Just an observation , and could be totally wrong , but your responses can often seem a put down of another opinion.
Rest assured I don't lose any sleep over dissagreement on here !
Certainly dont mean it that way. Mutt has commented similar. I've actually tried to stop quoting so people don't see it as a personal disagreement. I dont write anything I wouldn't say in person, I guess tone is hard to convey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Certainly dont mean it that way. Mutt has commented similar. I've actually tried to stop quoting so people don't see it as a personal disagreement. I dont write anything I wouldn't say in person, I guess tone is hard to convey.

All good from my end mate.
Always read with interest what you have to say. We don't always agree , but I like your contribution.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
West Coast: Tim Kelly, pick 57, 2020 3rd (from Geelong presumably, probably around 50)
Geelong: pick 14, pick 24, pick 37, 2020 West Coast 1st (15-18 bracket)

What does everyone think of the trade?

Think that is as close to fair as it was going to get. I’d rather Tim Kelly but it’s a pretty decent draft haul in return for Geelong. Leaves them with three picks in the top 25 this year and two picks in the top 20 next year. Been a long long time since Wells has been able to go to the draft with decent picks. His second (or occasional his first) pick is usually somewhere in the 40s. Think he’d be pretty happy with that.

Good chance to rejuvenate their ageing list if they can nail some of those picks. Unlikely they’ll end up with another Kelly.

R: Naitanui, Shuey, Kelly
C: Sheed, Yeo, Gaff

That’s a pretty handy midfield

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
To facilitate the Kelly trade, Essendon got involved

Pick 33 + Pick 57 for Pick 37 + Pick 52

That's just odd, and I really don't see the point. Surely there's a follow up?

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Why?

Think it makes sense. Essendon would prefer the higher second round pick. West Coast clearly wanted a little more back than pick 57 and pick 52 provides that. Seems Geelong’s pick they received at 37 will be going to St Kilda anyway and saves the haggling over pick 33. Win/Win/Win, except the Saints.

Doesn’t mean much in the scheme of things but think all sides are slightly more happy.

West Coast: Tim Kelly, pick 57, 2020 3rd (from Geelong presumably, probably around 50)
Geelong: pick 14, pick 24, pick 37, 2020 West Coast 1st (15-18 bracket)

What does everyone think of the trade?

Think that is as close to fair as it was going to get. I’d rather Tim Kelly but it’s a pretty decent draft haul in return for Geelong. Leaves them with three picks in the top 25 this year and two picks in the top 20 next year. Been a long long time since Wells has been able to go to the draft with decent picks. His second (or occasional his first) pick is usually somewhere in the 40s. Think he’d be pretty happy with that.

Good chance to rejuvenate their ageing list if they can nail some of those picks. Unlikely they’ll end up with another Kelly.

R: Naitanui, Shuey, Kelly
C: Sheed, Yeo, Gaff

That’s a pretty handy midfield
Not a bad return on pick 24 in the draft two years ago, especially as that pick was runner-up two years in a row in Geelong's B&F.

Spiritof82

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
No player is worth that many picks imo. Now Geelong can setup their future without bottoming out.

There's no guarantee the Cats will use the picks in the draft, there's still a week of trade week left, enough time to trade the picks for players from other clubs that are over 30 and on their last leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back