NRL 2019 NRL Grand Final: Sydney Roosters v Canberra Raiders

Remove this Banner Ad

I literally only came here to talk about the balance of the reffing errors.
Not my fault the first response a perfectly sensible post received was somehow linked to Joel Selwood milking free kicks from a bitter raiders fan

I don't care. It escalated to a pile of tired old rubbish which has no place here.

Agree with the rest, but it was a try scoring opportunity, hence the sin binning, but a penalty try must only be awarded if you are 100% certain the player would have scored, yes it was highly probable, but not a guarantee. Correct call there

Anyway I see Annesley came out last night and gave the refs the tick of approval over the 6 again change of call, seems to think it would have been a bigger blunder to give Raiders the set from a 50/50 error than completely screw over a team with a shocking blunder rarely seen.
Yeah even as a Raiders fan I agree with this. There was enough uncertainty as to whether he wouldve scored to not award a penalty try imo although I think he'd would have scored.

3 contentious moments;
1. The trainer - wtf is he doing on the field within 5 minutes? Had the biggest grin on his face after blocking that likely Raiders try.
2. Cronk send off - correct call. Probably should have been a penalty try but not 100% certain so Im ok with that
3. 6 again. Just. Plain. Dodgy. Clearly disadvantaged Raiders, they lost a chance to score and off the back of that they werent set up to defend. Ref just played on, didnt give them time to rest

In summary Raiders was robbed

Wake up and smell the deep heat.

The Roosters success doesn’t help the NrL one bit. It’s not a growth area, it’s not a junior nursery and it geographically can never become one. It is a self sufficient club that the nrl doesn’t need to be successful to pay its way. It’s the oldest club in the competition aside from Souths and has had 111 years to build a huge fan base - and it still hasn’t. It sits in the middle of the table numbers wise.

Meanwhile the Raiders are a provincial club in a huge, huge growth and junior area, with a fairly dormant fan base due to 25 years of no trophies.

The room for growth if they succeed is huge.

Now you tell me, exactly who’s accountant would go into NrL headquarters and suggest that the competition be rigged for the Roosters to win instead of Canberra?
Now that I’ve had a couple of days to think more about the GF I will say a few points:
1. Roosters deserved to win on the balance of what I saw. There defence was great and their attack looked more likely.
2. The most influential decision made all night was when the trainer interfered with play. That was a potential 12 point swing and gave the Roosters momentum. At the very least it should have been a Raiders scrum. I believe it should have been a Raiders penalty. In a game that was always going to be tight it made it tough for the Raiders.
3. This talk of the NRL standing for National R(Roosters, Souths and Broncos) League is just horseshit.

Petty semantics aside, the records carry over. Again - nobody was stupid enough to say 2017 was the Tigers’ first AFL grand final. Don’t think many Rabbitohs fans dissect their titles into 20 NSWRFL ones and 1 NRL one. The competition has been in place since 1908 under 4 different names and the history carries through all of that.

Most people are correctly pointing out it’s our first grand final in 25 years - and that’s fine. Nobody who matters is referring to it as our first NRL grand final.
And thank goodness for this as Carlton have already won all the silverware they will ever get

Now that I’ve had a couple of days to think more about the GF I will say a few points:
1. Roosters deserved to win on the balance of what I saw. There defence was great and their attack looked more likely.
2. The most influential decision made all night was when the trainer interfered with play. That was a potential 12 point swing and gave the Roosters momentum. At the very least it should have been a Raiders scrum. I believe it should have been a Raiders penalty. In a game that was always going to be tight it made it tough for the Raiders.
3. This talk of the NRL standing for National R(Roosters, Souths and Broncos) League is just horses**t.
The trainer incident resulted in the correct call being made on the field unfortunately. Under the current rules the decision made by the refs was the only one available to them. The rule stinks and will be changed during the off season for sure.

How f##king ridiculous is it that the trainer is out there after three minutes??? The f##ks he doing there? That's what I wanna know. The calls from the refs were all pretty much spot on even though Cummins initially stuffed up the six again signal. But why are messages getting passed to the players after 180 seconds in a game they surely have prepared all week for? Trainers will just have to cop a send off for breaking the rules next year as the fines haven't worked and it potentially ruined the correct result in the biggest stage of all last weekend

3 contentious moments;
1. The trainer - wtf is he doing on the field within 5 minutes? Had the biggest grin on his face after blocking that likely Raiders try.
2. Cronk send off - correct call. Probably should have been a penalty try but not 100% certain so Im ok with that
3. 6 again. Just. Plain. Dodgy. Clearly disadvantaged Raiders, they lost a chance to score and off the back of that they werent set up to defend. Ref just played on, didnt give them time to rest

In summary Raiders was robbed

Point 1, fair.

Point 2, cooper Cronk had his arms wrapped around Papalii. Provided one other player gets there the tackle gets made no question. You cannot penalise a player for a good defensive read that arrives basically simultaneously with the ball. If Papalii has his hands up to catch it rather than taking it in his chest, cronk makes contact AFTER the ball gets to him. That’s literally how close it was. The basic definition of a sin binnable professional foul is when a player deliberately breaks a rule to prevent a try scoring situation. Cronk didn’t do that. Penalty? Just. Sin bin. No way.

Point 3. The raiders were robbed of one of two things. Either the chance to put another kick in, because by all rights it should have been the last tackle as the previous kick came off a raiders player. Or 6 tackles based on an incorrect call. In which case it’s the roosters who are stiff. In the grand scheme of things if you take out what happened afterwards, a referee making one call and then changing it to the correct one immediately only for the players not to hear it.... it’s not that big a stuff up.

How f##king ridiculous is it that the trainer is out there after three minutes??? The f##ks he doing there? That's what I wanna know. The calls from the refs were all pretty much spot on even though Cummins initially stuffed up the six again signal. But why are messages getting passed to the players after 180 seconds in a game they surely have prepared all week for? Trainers will just have to cop a send off for breaking the rules next year as the fines haven't worked and it potentially ruined the correct result in the biggest stage of all last weekend

As much as it helped my side I literally turned to the bloke next to me and said exactly the same thing. He’s got no right to be out there unless a player is groggy from one of the early tackles.

As much as it helped my side I literally turned to the bloke next to me and said exactly the same thing. He’s got no right to be out there unless a player is groggy from one of the early tackles.

While I agree, it's nothing unusual. I hate it though. The best thing the AFL did before the 2019 season was to get rid of trainers during play (who also used to be on field from pretty much the first minute). The NRL should follow. Suspect what they will do though is change the rule so that the scrum feed goes against the trainers team.

The other rule change that's needed is to get rid of stripping the ball after players intentionally fall off a tackle.

Point 1, fair.

Point 2, cooper Cronk had his arms wrapped around Papalii. Provided one other player gets there the tackle gets made no question. You cannot penalise a player for a good defensive read that arrives basically simultaneously with the ball. If Papalii has his hands up to catch it rather than taking it in his chest, cronk makes contact AFTER the ball gets to him. That’s literally how close it was. The basic definition of a sin binnable professional foul is when a player deliberately breaks a rule to prevent a try scoring situation. Cronk didn’t do that. Penalty? Just. Sin bin. No way.

Point 3. The raiders were robbed of one of two things. Either the chance to put another kick in, because by all rights it should have been the last tackle as the previous kick came off a raiders player. Or 6 tackles based on an incorrect call. In which case it’s the roosters who are stiff. In the grand scheme of things if you take out what happened afterwards, a referee making one call and then changing it to the correct one immediately only for the players not to hear it.... it’s not that big a stuff up.
Looked to me like Cronks early tackle wrapped his arms which is what stopped him catching the ball. The early tackle caused the dropped ball. If papali catches the ball at speed he could very easily have crashed over for the try. But no guarantee hence no pen try.

Raisers were robbed of the opportunity for the strategic kick and possibly another set of six or even a try from the kick. But more importantly they werent given the time and opportunity to reset, handover happened very quickly and raiders were on the back foot immediately,. Roosters try. Game Over.

Raiders were robbed. Cronk wasnt ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I'm hyper emotional as a Raiders fan who sees them as my down-trodden team, who are routinely f’ed by the establishment.

Maybe I have a short memory.

But for all the inflammatory bullshit you see on this forum about refs/umpires across different codes... I can't think of a single big match in Australian sport that was so clearly decided by a refereeing debacle. By the referee himself.

This is a ******* outrage, our fans should be burning the stadium down.
It's always super classy seeing people trying to get a stadium doing an honest job burnt down. People who work there don't also have families to feed?

Don't watch if it upsets you that much

It's always super classy seeing people trying to get a stadium doing an honest job burnt down. People who work there don't also have families to feed?

Don't watch if it upsets you that much

That's some weird ******* obsession with me man. I can't imagine how long you spent trying to find "the perfect post" to try and make an idiotic point (that doesn't even stand given what I'd written.) How empty is your life?

Interesting to read that despite the NRL backing Cummins change of decision, the rules state he can’t change his decision unless an act of foul play had occurred.

Although can’t believe he actually tried to tell Wighton he never called 6 again...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back