Analysis 2020 Fixutre Analysis- Thumbs up or Thumbs down

I doubt we'll get a typical bottom 6 fixture, AFL will be expecting us to bounce back so wouldn't want to make it too easy. Also they love shafting us.

2x Carlton, Fremantle (Perth and Alice), Adelaide (Adelaide and Alice), Bulldogs and Geelong (MCG and Kardinia)

We can't exactly whinge about the lack of Friday night games next year can we.

Welcome back twilight Saturday arvos and Sunday games! Everyones favourite time slots!

Oct 11, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
More games in the NT, Adelaide Oval and at Marvel...partly tongue in cheek but I swear we get better results at these grounds than any other place. Even our losses aren't as bad at these joints.
No Friday night games please - don't want to be publicly embarrassed.
From trying to decipher how the AFL picks the fixtures, I'd say best result is no double vs any of the top 6 (which is apparently possible), double games vs Adelaide and Port from the middle 6, and double games vs Gold Coast, Freo and Carlton* from the bottom 6. If only we could play against ourselves twice from the bottom 6 teams...
*Tempted to swap out Carlton for Essendon though.
Play against Geelong and West Coast at home, play against a Vic club in the NT.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
More games in the NT, Adelaide Oval and at Marvel...partly tongue in cheek but I swear we get better results at these grounds than any other place. Even our losses aren't as bad at these joints.
No Friday night games please - don't want to be publicly embarrassed.
From trying to decipher how the AFL picks the fixtures, I'd say best result is no double vs any of the top 6 (which is apparently possible), double games vs Adelaide and Port from the middle 6, and double games vs Gold Coast, Freo and Carlton* from the bottom 6. If only we could play against ourselves twice from the bottom 6 teams...
*Tempted to swap out Carlton for Essendon though.
Play against Geelong and West Coast at home, play against a Vic club in the NT.
I agree with this, except perhaps to point out that it might be healthier for supporters if we somehow aren’t fixtured to play at all

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Repost from my post in the one on the main board. IMHO best possible fixture:

Using the weighted rule, best possible return fixtures for MFC would be:

- 2 x GC, Sydney, St. Kilda (not gonna say Carlton because I reckon they'll be in for a much better season)
- 2 x Adelaide (looking like a bottom 2-4 team next year at this rate)
- 2 x Brisbane (finished 2nd, I rate them to make the 8 next year however due to a harder fixture they'll finish lower in the 8)

Hosting both the Queens Birthday & ANZAC Day Eve games.

Home Fixtures: RICH (ANZAC Day Eve), COLL (Queens Birthday), CARL, WCE, PORT, GWS, GC (Alice Springs), SYD, STK, ADEL & BRIS.

Away games against: ESS (MCG), FREM, GEEL (MCG), HAW, NM (Docklands/Tasmania), WB, GC (GC/Darwin), SYD, STK (MCG), ADEL & BRIS.

So hopefully ~16 games in VIC as part of my H&A membership, easier fixture given our ladder position, hosting 2-3 blockbusters & an opportunity to go to WA &/or the NT for some interstate trips and we should be in for a decent season.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hoping to play at least one game in Adelaide (two would be nice) as I'm keen to go to a game over there and also because we generally play well at AO. Would like to play the Dockers in Perth as we haven't played them over there in a few years and we have not yet played them at Optus Stadium. Double ups against Geelong, Hawthorn, Adelaide, Fremantle & St Kilda.

We can't exactly whinge about the lack of Friday night games next year can we.

Welcome back twilight Saturday arvos and Sunday games! Everyones favourite time slots!
Our Friday night games this year were pretty entertaining though

I doubt we'll get a typical bottom 6 fixture, AFL will be expecting us to bounce back so wouldn't want to make it too easy. Also they love shafting us.

2x Carlton, Fremantle (Perth and Alice), Adelaide (Adelaide and Alice), Bulldogs and Geelong (MCG and Kardinia)
/thread

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I don't want to be embarrassed on Friday nights, so I'm guessing besides Anzac Eve and Queens Birthday, we will be off Broadway for most of the season which feels more Melbourne!

Hoping we play GC twice. Maybe Adelaide? Not sure they'll be any good next season. Can definitely see us plsying the Magpies or Tigers twice. Hopefully only one trip to Perth. No doubt we'll have the annual pilgrimage to Kardinia for our annual flogging. The main thing i want to see is whoever we play in the NT is not from WA or SA!! Maybe play GC, Saints or Dogs up there!

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't want to be embarrassed on Friday nights, so I'm guessing besides Anzac Eve and Queens Birthday, we will be off Broadway for most of the season which feels more Melbourne!

Hoping we play GC twice. Maybe Adelaide? Not sure they'll be any good next season. Can definitely see us plsying the Magpies or Tigers twice. Hopefully only one trip to Perth. No doubt we'll have the annual pilgrimage to Kardinia for our annual flogging. The main thing i want to see is whoever we play in the NT is not from WA or SA!! Maybe play GC, Saints or Dogs up there!

Reckon you can lock in us playing Gold Coast twice, but that'd be more for Gold Coast's benefit than ours.

Reckon you can lock in us playing Gold Coast twice, but that'd be more for Gold Coast's benefit than ours.
The AFL has already given GC pick 2 and our academy zone. At this stage they might as well just award them the 8 points by default.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

* that. I hope we play Collingwood Richmond and WC twice. Don't want us to fall into 8th because we beat s**t teams all year.

I couldn't give 2 *s if we beat GC, I don't care about that club and probably won't even bother watching if we play them. Give me big games against the big Vic clubs at the G. That's all that's gonna matter if we wanna win a flag

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
I hope we get another Friday night game against the Bombers. Not sure why I like it, just do. Early in the year is nice too - warm April evenings.

Back