Toast Marlion Pickett GF performance

Dystraction

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
Nineteeneighty
AFL Club
Richmond
maybe i'm a grinch, but aside from it being in a grand final, was his game really that amazing? plenty of mature age players have big first games (Mick Barlow's 33 touches and 2 goals comes to mind). fair enough Pickett's debut was on the biggest stage, but he had just been BOG in a grand final the week prior, his team was absolute dominating the match, and he did actually make quite a few skill errors early on that just happened not to matter. it's a fantastic story because of his background and the occasion, but I wouldn't get too carried away yet about what he's going to be next year.
Michael Barlow turned out to be a fantastic AFL footballer. If not for a badly broken leg would have been recognised as such by everyone. Happy if Pickett can emulate Barlow's career sans the broken leg bit.

ryancash

All Australian
Apr 27, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Ill get a lot of dislikes but their is a damn good reason he played his first game at 27 and its entirely his own doing. I feel the celebration of his achievement is a tad stupid and a bit condescending

Rioli smokes a bong - Ban him for life
Pickett robs a house and assaults 12 year old during robbery - Do 18 months then come back and be a hero

Seems a bit well wrong doesnt it?
Iv'e been pissing myself laughing at your posts, you think you know life but it reads like a 10 year old trying to be clever. Good luck with your life Mr Perfect

_jrtp09_

All Australian
May 14, 2014
Doing the laundry
AFL Club
Richmond
maybe i'm a grinch, but aside from it being in a grand final, was his game really that amazing? plenty of mature age players have big first games (Mick Barlow's 33 touches and 2 goals comes to mind). fair enough Pickett's debut was on the biggest stage, but he had just been BOG in a grand final the week prior, his team was absolute dominating the match, and he did actually make quite a few skill errors early on that just happened not to matter. it's a fantastic story because of his background and the occasion, but I wouldn't get too carried away yet about what he's going to be next year.

Perfectly sensible thinking based on a small sample, hence his 1 year contract from Richmond. He can be anything, but the club certainly isn’t getting carried away at this point.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Have most said he should be banned? I'm not sure about over in WA but over here I have seen nothing but sympathy for the lad. I certainly don't think anyone should be banned for smoking a bong
As opposed to Rioli who should be banned from the game for life according to most

Seems a tad hypocritical isnt it?

Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Have most said he should be banned? I'm not sure about over in WA but over here I have seen nothing but sympathy for the lad. I certainly don't think anyone should be banned for smoking a bong
People are speculating how long he will be banned for based on the urine substitution of which ASADA, who are independent and the public and bigfooty have no sway, has to make a ruling.
You’re correct, people aren’t calling for him to be banned for life.

This guy is a big sook.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
People are speculating how long he will be banned for based on the urine substitution of which ASADA, who are independent and the public and bigfooty have no sway, has to make a ruling.
You’re correct, people aren’t calling for him to be banned for life.

This guy is a big sook.
West coast fans lately mate. Weird. It's like '18 knocked a screw loose and all talk of corruption, vic bias and anti WC sentiment were turned up to 11².

Everyone thinks their clubs cops it the worst but WC supporters have taken it to a new level. Almost rivals Geelong.

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
West coast fans lately mate. Weird. It's like '18 knocked a screw loose and all talk of corruption, vic bias and anti WC sentiment were turned up to 11².

Everyone thinks their clubs cops it the worst but WC supporters have taken it to a new level. Almost rivals Geelong.
something in the water out west

Royce Hafey

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2013
Point Cook
AFL Club
Richmond
Did his family come over with him? I thought they were still in Perth and just came over for the game, could be mistaken though.
He came over by himself (staying with Dusty) while he tried to sort out schools etc. But my understanding is that his family followed after about a month. Gotta love the story, btw, of how his kids got bored during the presentations and started playing kick to kick on the 'G with Dan Rioli. When Pickett first arrived he was greeted at the airport by all the indigenous players (along with Chol and Dusty, with whom they form a tight-knit group). Imagine having Dusty, Stack, Rioli etc as "uncles". :hearteyes:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Did his family come over with him? I thought they were still in Perth and just came over for the game, could be mistaken though.

I dont know but i think it was his parents that flew over and his kids are schooled in melbourne

if Pickett wants to leave to Perth in 2021 he has my blessing. Bloody legend.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
I dont know but i think it was his parents that flew over and his kids are schooled in melbourne

if Pickett wants to leave to Perth in 2021 he has my blessing. Bloody legend.

The investment has already paid off, even if he got sick of Melbourne halfway through next year I reckon you couldn't be too mad.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Down-hill skier. Only shows up when his team is dominating.

the GF wasn't a touch unfortunate on the "down hill skier" score
with GWS not scoring from early in the 1st qtr till late in the 3rd qtr all Richmond players can be tagged with that

his form in the VFL was very consistent , clean hands & good decision making his trade mark , he didn't have too many opportunities to display physaical toughness but passed them with flying colours on the few occasions he did

the media pressure on him would have been enormous, for him to do as well as he did is a real credit

but what happens when the dust settles ?

come the 2020 season we will see where he sits in the AFL pecking order

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Congratulations on him for rejecting a life of failure for sure, but does it need this high of a pedestal?

Im more inclined to celebrate those who never failed to begin with
You’re not going to be celebrating a lot of people nowadays if you’re only celebrating those who never failed to begin with

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
It'll be interesting to see how his career pans out. Will he still be around in 5 years time or gone in a year or 2? Ill back him to play 100+ games but also wouldn't be surprised to see him back at WAFL in a couple of years.
Will be interesting. I’ll back him in to be the overwhelmingly most productive player from the first midseason draft.

Back