Next Generation academy

Remove this Banner Ad

What a load of s**t. So we can only play them, if we let them go to a SANFL team, then we have to pay that club for the privilege?

The SANFL deal is so s**t.
It's probably fair - the NGA candidates will likely have belonged to the SANFL club in the first place and Crows grabbing the player for the full season in the 19th year is effectively a player transfer - clubs would normally have to pay for this when a player changes clubs. The 4 game secondment in the 18th year is like a mini version of this.

At he end of the 19th season, the player either gets drafted or not (so then plays in SANFL).

[tenor.com] stop-dont-come-back-wonka [e].gif [tenor.com] stop-dont-come-back-wonka [e].gif [0.6mb]

[tenor.com] stay-leodicaprio [e].gif [tenor.com] stay-leodicaprio [e].gif [1.0mb]
[media.tenor.com] 1ZyogH5M898AAAAC no-dont-go-dont.gif [media.tenor.com] 1ZyogH5M898AAAAC no-dont-go-dont.gif [1.0mb]

Last edited:
It's probably fair - the NGA candidates will likely have belonged to the SANFL club in the first place and Crows grabbing the player for the full season in the 19th year is effectively a player transfer - clubs would normally have to pay for this when a player changes clubs. The 4 game secondment in the 18th year is like a mini version of this.

At he end of the 19th season, the player either gets drafted or not (so then plays in SANFL).
Or if they want a competitive AFC just stays at the Crows until he wants to leave.

Given the clubs already paid the SANFL club a transfer

What a load of s**t. So we can only play them, if we let them go to a SANFL team, then we have to pay that club for the privilege?

The SANFL deal is so s**t.
I always find this reaction funny from AFL supporters, in this case many Adelaide supporters. Both Reserves teams get pretty well an unlimited salary cap in the SANFL while the other clubs are penalised if they break the $370k cap, f***, they’re salary cap is cut if they don’t post a $50k profit!!!!

I hear people argue that it’s unfair about the top ups or rules around when AFL players are eligible to play, this year the SANFL have changed the rules to bring both Reserves teams closer in line to the rules surrounding movement of SANFL players.
So a lot of the movement of players now will demand a transfer fee just as it would be for any other SANFL club yet the reaction is the typical “money grabbing SANFL!!!” “Leeches” “it’s unfair” “it’s bull$hit” blah blah blah.
So on one hand you want your open salary cap but you also want free access to whoever you want as a top up player AND get upset when you’re asked to pay transfer fees.
F*** me some people on here have no idea about how anything outside the AFL bubble works and how it is affected by AFL Reserves teams.
Myopic navel gazing morons.

I always find this reaction funny from AFL supporters, in this case many Adelaide supporters. Bothe Reserves teams get pretty well an unlimited salary cap in the SANFL while the other clubs are penalised if they break the $370k cap.
I hear people argue that it’s unfair about the top ups or rules around when AFL players are eligible to play, this year the SANFL have changed the rules to bring both Reserves teams closer in line to the rules surrounding movement of SANFL players.
So a lot of the movement of players now will demand a transfer fee just as it would be for any other SANFL club yet the reaction is the typical “money grabbing SANFL!!!” “Leeches” “it’s unfair” “it’s bull$hit” blah blah blah.
So on one hand you want your open salary cap but you also want free access to whoever you want as a top up player AND get upset when you’re asked to pay transfer fees.
F*** me some people on here have no idea about how anything outside the AFL bubble works and how it is affected by AFL Reserves teams.
Myopic navel gazing morons.
What a load of BS.

I was all for protecting the SANFL, but they continually want their cake and to eat it too.

The current AFC reserves structure makes the SANFL worse, because the team is only competitive now and then and it has no chance of winning the comp.

The SANFL continues to make dumb decisions which will ultimately kill itself for good and it will only have itself to blame.

Or if they want a competitive AFC just stays at the Crows until he wants to leave.

Given the clubs already paid the SANFL club a transfer
Well, after an NGA player goes past the draft milestone, if the player isn't drafted then the SANFL wants to claw back the player.

The post from WW also contained the clause "Any South Australian player who is attaining the age of 19 or older and who is not on the Senior List of a SANFL Club (which is a list of 40 players). [... is eligible for the AFL clubs supplementary lists]"

You might see that as horse poo but I guess letting Crows have NGAs on their list is a reasonable concession.

Get Out.gif Get Out.gif [0.5mb]

Last edited:
Nah, NSW and QLD would actually be fine, most of those clubs have been killing it out of the academies (except gold coast).

Zones would be a damn scary in the hands of WA and SA teams. Especially us and West Coast who are two of the stronger clubs in a development sense.
And that is why it will not happen! Quite simply, it would rewards the clubs that know what they are doing. It also goes against AFL's mantra of having a strong even competition. Those clubs that don't know what they are doing will struggle mightily.

What a load of BS.

I was all for protecting the SANFL, but they continually want their cake and to eat it too.

The current AFC reserves structure makes the SANFL worse, because the team is only competitive now and then and it has no chance of winning the comp.

The SANFL continues to make dumb decisions which will ultimately kill itself for good and it will only have itself to blame.
Are you aware of the current changes to both Reserves teams?

What a load of BS.

There are changes for next year

http://sanfl.com.au/news/2018/10/02/afl-clubs-supplementary-lists-pafc-academy-team/

WOW, did notice one thing
"Furthermore, it has also been agreed by both the Port Adelaide Football Club and SA Football Commission that PAFC no longer field a team in the SANFL Reserves competition."

That means the Maggies are officially dead and gone. They are now power and power reserves. They may wear black and white but are not the Magpies.

Let's hope that the Crows use these rules strategically. Bring in the 4 under 18 players for four games.

"AFL approved Next Generation Academy (NGA) and Father Son players can be temporarily permitted during their 18th and 19th years (the years in which they are eligible for drafting with concessions) if nominated by the AFL club they are aligned to. It should be noted that this is subject to the player electing and agreeing to being nominated by AFC and PAFC for temporary permit."
  • In the 18th year, such a player can be permitted for a period of four games, but will not be eligible for a permit if they have already played League Football at their SANFL club. The SANFL Club will receive a fee in the sum of $2,500.

I would hope the use this like the VFL's 23 player. Pick one per round as an Interchange. Play Sladojevic early in the season before SAFC League call up. $10K well spent. I am not sure if Luke Edwards is the right age. Liaise with the SANFL club.

So will that make a difference though. I dont care about winning the SANFL premiership. I just want us to be competitive enough to be able to develop our AFL listed players. Is $400 a week competitive enough to get players that are out of the AFL system to be willing to play at the Crows, and not play at all when our injury list is low? Has anything really changed?

So will that make a difference though. I dont care about winning the SANFL premiership. I just want us to be competitive enough to be able to develop our AFL listed players. Is $400 a week competitive enough to get players that are out of the AFL system to be willing to play at the Crows, and not play at all when our injury list is low? Has anything really changed?
Yes if we have some NGA players in their draft year, who normally would be playing SANFL seniors or reserves at other clubs - we get to play them for the season instead of relying on a top up player.

Last edited:
So as we start this rebuild, um I mean rejuvenation of the list, we might be in a position to really benefit from the NGA for the first time in our history.

We know there are multiple possibilities in the next year, including Borlase & Edwards etc...

I have also heard on very, very good advice, that we have a guy eligible for next years draft that is being kept under wraps at the moment. The guy has been described by one of the best recruiters in the land (not ours) as being the best "explosive-mid" prospect since Dangerfield. Genuinely.

If he stays under wraps we are hoping he will be picked up after a late bid. If he gets more exposure (and given the comment came from a recruiter interstate), it is highly likely he might be bid on as a top 5 pick next year.

Either way, this kid will be on our list at the end of next year. Amid the doom and gloom, get excited folks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So as we start this rebuild, um I mean rejuvenation of the list, we might be in a position to really benefit from the NGA for the first time in our history.

We know there are multiple possibilities in the next year, including Borlase & Edwards etc...

I have also heard on very, very good advice, that we have a guy eligible for next years draft that is being kept under wraps at the moment. The guy has been described by one of the best recruiters in the land (not ours) as being the best "explosive-mid" prospect since Dangerfield. Genuinely.

If he stays under wraps we are hoping he will be picked up after a late bid. If he gets more exposure (and given the comment came from a recruiter interstate), it is highly likely he might be bid on as a top 5 pick next year.

Either way, this kid will be on our list at the end of next year. Amid the doom and gloom, get excited folks.
Better keep him well under wraps, cause the AFL will suddenly abolish NGA zones if they catch wind of anything big benefiting Adelaide.

Kye Dean?

It's actually ridiculous that we have Daryl Borlase's kid attached to us as a next generation acadamy player - How many other players like him are tied to clubs - Genuine rort, really -
Its only because he was born in Egypt. If he was born in Australia no one would have 'rights to him'

Yeh a guy on bigfooty knows about him but the Crows will manage to hide him
A big footy poster that occasionally gets good intel....

Your right though, it is highly unlikely he isn't going to be known by every club by next year (if not already).

However, there is a difference between the kid getting exposed form against quality and being bid on at pick 5 and being kept out of it and being bid on at pick 25....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back