Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
That's the problem though. I'm not sure any team could or should support part time players. If they can't be out there more than 16-18 times a year, maybe we shouldn't be keeping someone who will turn 36 next year on the list. It's hard enough to compete and win games - and then finals - with everyone fit and ready. Accepting already existing limitations doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

Yet people didn't have a problem with us carrying Dan Menzel for years, when he could barely play one game a season, rather than 16-18.

People here wanted Paul Chapman to stay at Geelong in 2014, and sacrifice giving that spot to a youngster, even though Chapman wasn't going to play every game that year, and he sooked up and ran to Bomber at Essendon.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Thats a pretty good post and a very fair and accurate summation of the situation

I was happy with Geelongs year - its an if - but kick straight in the 2nd qtr against Tigers - then could have been 6 goals up at half time - and may have hung on - if so would be premiers . I tipped Richmond on the Geel board in the GF by close to 100 pts - GWS were inferior and banged up

Cats had a chance of a flag in 13 ( narrow loss in the PF ) - since then 14-18 havent had the cattle to win a flag - and never been a serious chance - but did well to make the finals - alot of teams just miss out - year in year out

Ive got no problem with season 2019 - because the best team ( even without Rance ) - most talented team won the GF - and Richmond have clearly been the No 1 team for the last 3 years

And your last sentence was spot on re the 19PF " Or was it just a game of footy and the best team won "

Alot of big footy posters however want to bag the absolute shiit out of everything .

We also didn't play on our home ground the last eight weeks in a row of the H & A season like Richmond did.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Thats a pretty good post and a very fair and accurate summation of the situation

I was happy with Geelongs year - its an if - but kick straight in the 2nd qtr against Tigers - then could have been 6 goals up at half time - and may have hung on - if so would be premiers . I tipped Richmond on the Geel board in the GF by close to 100 pts - GWS were inferior and banged up

Cats had a chance of a flag in 13 ( narrow loss in the PF ) - since then 14-18 havent had the cattle to win a flag - and never been a serious chance - but did well to make the finals - alot of teams just miss out - year in year out

Ive got no problem with season 2019 - because the best team ( even without Rance ) - most talented team won the GF - and Richmond have clearly been the No 1 team for the last 3 years

And your last sentence was spot on re the 19PF " Or was it just a game of footy and the best team won "

Alot of big footy posters however want to bag the absolute shiit out of everything .

A lot of posters here have been spoilt rotten by the 2007-2011 years when they jumped on the bandwagon, and now expect a flag every season, even with an inferior list, or it is a fail.

The thing wrong is the unrealistically high expectations of supporters.

Fixturing like that doesn't just happen by accident!

The AFL want Richmond and Collingwood in the finals, because they sell more tickets. Join the dots!

OK. But to get the final 7 games at the G means that you only played a few games there up until then. The teams based at the G play a set number of games there, no matter whether they are early or late in the season.

TigerHunter

Team Captain
Nov 2, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Crows
OK. But to get the final 7 games at the G means that you only played a few games there up until then. The teams based at the G play a set number of games there, no matter whether they are early or late in the season.
Oppo's might see it as negative, but since all granny's are at the G..... Surely there is some benefit in playing there before finals?

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I'll go further with Caddy.

I thought Caddy was lazy at Geelong. He had the signs of pre-2007 Steve Johnson (all the potential, but hadn't put in the hard work).

Besides, the guy is a liar. We had the chance to get Brett Deledio from Richmond, and the Tigers wanted Caddy. Caddy refused to go, saying he bought a house in Geelong and loved the club.

The deal didn't get done, and Deledio went to GWS instead. But then Caddy did a 180 and decided that now, he would go to Richmond, because his mate Dion Prestia went there. So, when we needed him to go to Richmond, he wouldn't, but then selfishly went anyway, when the club benefitted less from it.

He was a selfish, lazy prick at Geelong who had all the tools but didn't put in the work. He should have been getting 30 possessions and kicking two goals a game, but he would make cameo appearances, and have one goal a game and be happy with that.

He is also a downhill skiier (he hasn't been exposed as such at Richmond, since they rarely lose).

Good riddance to him. I just wish karma got him and he broke a leg and missed the Richmond flags.

At least we got Brandon Parfitt out of it, a kid who has all the enthusiasm and actually tackles well and tries his heart out, something Caddy never did with us.

Of course Caddy is going to do better at Richmond. A superior list and a better development team will hide his deficiencies. He wouldn't have got much time in our 2007-11 side, and, as Stevie J learned, you need to shape up or ship out.
Dude! You wish he breaks his leg?

You mean in a ironic way like Thespians??

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Yet people didn't have a problem with us carrying Dan Menzel for years, when he could barely play one game a season, rather than 16-18.

People here wanted Paul Chapman to stay at Geelong in 2014, and sacrifice giving that spot to a youngster, even though Chapman wasn't going to play every game that year, and he sooked up and ran to Bomber at Essendon.

That's because sentiment clouds judgement.

As much as his talent made you wish otherwise, by the time he did his knee the fourth time he should have been cut. Even when he managed 40 goals in 2017 - which was an astonishing return - he was still recognised as such a defensive liability he was dropped for a critical final. I've never seen a player who at the same time was a genuine attacking weapon and also perhaps our biggest defensive weakness. He could and did kick goals, but they literally had to be handed to him. Once the pressure went up in finals unsurprisingly so did the goals dry up.

Chapman for one more year probably would have been reasonable, he was still in good form and played a very good 2014 for Essendon. But certainly no more than that.

QueenslanderTiger

Naughty boy
Aug 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

I thought Caddy was lazy at Geelong. He had the signs of pre-2007 Steve Johnson (all the potential, but hadn't put in the hard work).

Besides, the guy is a liar. We had the chance to get Brett Deledio from Richmond, and the Tigers wanted Caddy. Caddy refused to go, saying he bought a house in Geelong and loved the club.

The deal didn't get done, and Deledio went to GWS instead. But then Caddy did a 180 and decided that now, he would go to Richmond, because his mate Dion Prestia went there. So, when we needed him to go to Richmond, he wouldn't, but then selfishly went anyway, when the club benefitted less from it.

He was a selfish, lazy prick at Geelong who had all the tools but didn't put in the work. He should have been getting 30 possessions and kicking two goals a game, but he would make cameo appearances, and have one goal a game and be happy with that.

He is also a downhill skiier (he hasn't been exposed as such at Richmond, since they rarely lose).

Good riddance to him. I just wish karma got him and he broke a leg and missed the Richmond flags.

At least we got Brandon Parfitt out of it, a kid who has all the enthusiasm and actually tackles well and tries his heart out, something Caddy never did with us.

Of course Caddy is going to do better at Richmond. A superior list and a better development team will hide his deficiencies. He wouldn't have got much time in our 2007-11 side, and, as Stevie J learned, you need to shape up or ship out.
I'm sorry but wishing a broken leg on a player says more about you than Caddy.

volcboy

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Fixturing like that doesn't just happen by accident!

The AFL want Richmond and Collingwood in the finals, because they sell more tickets. Join the dots!

Quit the conspiracy theories - it's just foolish. Although not as foolish from a faceless internet poster as it is from our coach and president...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond

Going out on a limb but I'm guessing no-one in the history of the game has averaged this...

COOGRE

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Southampton FC, New Orleans Saints
pick 14 and 24 that cats received for kelly will go straight to saints for Steven... and those picks will be used for saints to pick up king from gold coast

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Definitely not in their career. I cant think of anyone that has averaged 30 and 2 in a single season either.

Dangerfield was close in 2017 with 29.9 and 1.88

nathan brown was going about at 3/25 until he snapped his leg

in round 10 (Richmond 7-2 prior to that)

[iirc]

--- edit:

18 - 2 (injury)
16 - 4
21 - 5
18 - 4
16 - 6
22 - 2
34 - 2
20 - 3
23 - 3
14 - 3

not quite as many possession as i remember. more goals ..

Last edited:
pick 14 and 24 that cats received for kelly will go straight to saints for Steven... and those picks will be used for saints to pick up king from gold coast
Pick 37 is going to the Saints for Steven and you're paying his wage ;)

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
nathan brown was going about at 3/25 until he snapped his leg

in round 10 (Richmond 7-2 prior to that)

[iirc]

--- edit:

18 - 2 (injury)
16 - 4
21 - 5
18 - 4
16 - 6
22 - 2
34 - 2
20 - 3
23 - 3
14 - 3

not quite as many possession as i remember. more goals ..

So was Steve Johnson in the first half of 2009, which people never seem to remember.

It says more about what a FIGJAM Brown is that this is the first thing people remember about his career.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Definitely not in their career. I cant think of anyone that has averaged 30 and 2 in a single season either.

Dangerfield was close in 2017 with 29.9 and 1.88

And Ablett in 2010, with 31.5 and 1.83 when he'd supposedly checked out, wasn't talking to the coach and had one eye on Gold Coast. How spoilt were we?

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Revisionist history at his finest. When the trade was first suggested the overwhelming majority of Geelong posters were adamant that Caddy was best 22 and not for trading. So did Joel Selwood. And once he did go, that didn't matter, because Richmond were a basket cast / our bitches / Ninthmond etc. etc.

It was only after September 2017 that Geelong fans got bothered. Which is exactly when Richmond went from being everyone's favourite joke to a successful football team. Suddenly they weren't very funny anymore. Amazing that. You'd think that given Geelong fans were treated exactly the same way throughout 2007 we'd know better. Some still haven't gotten over it it seems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back