kendrick

All Australian
Sep 20, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fitzroy..never forgotten!
West Coast got the player but I can't help wondering why I keep hearing this garbage about the reason Kelly was only willing to play for the Eagles because it was a better fit for his family??

Then his wife has talk of her tears of joy at hearing he got traded to the Eagles because Fremantle would not have been a good fit for her and the children..

Why doesn't Freo call out their crap as they are making out like Fremantle is not a family friendly environment... So is there something we don't know? Are players at Freo not allowed to bring their partners and kids into the inner sanctum of the club??

West Coast going on past instances would seem like worst of the 2 in terms of a family club..

Such a load of crap by Kelly must being a selfish player who should have allowed Geelong the ability to find the best offer from the 2 Perth clubs and its obvious that would have been Freo... So Tim and his wife had to make out like going to Freo would be horrible experience for the family..

I think it stinks that Cats gave him a start and this is the thanks they get.

West Coast going on past instances would seem like worst of the 2 in terms of a family club..

That was 10+ years ago, cultures changed a lot since then with a lot of that due to Adam Simpson. A lot of the Eagles players these days are parents with young kids.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Yeah I found it weird. Sure if you only want to go to West Coast then just say it.

But then to bring the family aspect into it and have the media talking about his autistic kids as being part of a reason not to move to Freo, without any explanation of why...

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why bring up what happened at West Coast ten years ago?

That was before Boris the Chicken flew into town and tidied up the coup.

As for Freo, I still can't believe they took Tambling over Pavlich. Or was it the other way around?

Don't get me wrong, I'll never forget that goal Jordan McMahon kicked to seal the much-needed win against Melbourne.

The Tigers took Martin at pick #3 and the rest is history, basically.

Illeagle

Senior List
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I found it weird. Sure if you only want to go to West Coast then just say it.

But then to bring the family aspect into it and have the media talking about his autistic kids as being part of a reason not to move to Freo, without any explanation of why...
Our premiership in 2018 was built around Family Friends Flags. Lots of the playing list has young kids. There's always kids around the place. They are an important part of the club. The whole culture of the club is built around this. The eagles had to ( and did) a lot of work to clean things up after the mid 2000s. Granted Riolis behavior lately taints that reputation a bit. However, an act of stupidity by one player shouldn't tarnish the whole group. It is definitely a family friendly club.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
West Coast got the player but I can't help wondering why I keep hearing this garbage about the reason Kelly was only willing to play for the Eagles because it was a better fit for his family??

Then his wife has talk of her tears of joy at hearing he got traded to the Eagles because Fremantle would not have been a good fit for her and the children..

Why doesn't Freo call out their crap as they are making out like Fremantle is not a family friendly environment... So is there something we don't know? Are players at Freo not allowed to bring their partners and kids into the inner sanctum of the club??

Such a load of crap by Kelly must being a selfish player who should have allowed Geelong the ability to find the best offer from the 2 Perth clubs and its obvious that would have been Freo... So Tim and his wife had to make out like going to Freo would be horrible experience for the family..

Perhaps it is only the ignorant that are drawing your conclusion .... desperately seeking a reason to be outraged.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Absolutely ridiculous thing to say. Kelly wanted to go home for extreme family circumstances (actually fair enough). But only to West Coast because... reasons.

Kelly and his managers intentions have been so obvious throughout this whole process. Sympathy card played over and over like we are supposed to act dumb and just play along because of feelings.

Would have so much more respect for him if he came out and said "I absolutely have to go home for family reasons. My personal situation which we have documented publicly has simply become untenable at Geelong, as much as I love the club. I absolutely detest Freo over a personal dispute, as does my manager. Coupled with this, I also believe due to a late start to my professional sporting career that West Coast gives me not only the best chance of securing financial freedom for my family now and post career, it also gives me the best chance at team success, which as a driven athlete, I crave".

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne

Past instances at WC? Is Gerard Ridsdale on the books?

Now he's second fiddle behind Yeo.

Nah, I reckon Kelly is better. Pretty even though. Fyfe is on another level to both, and pretty much every player when he's not injured (which seems to be always)

kendrick

All Australian
Sep 20, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fitzroy..never forgotten!
Why bring up what happened at West Coast ten years ago?

That was before Boris the Chicken flew into town and tidied up the coup.

As for Freo, I still can't believe they took Tambling over Pavlich. Or was it the other way around?

Don't get me wrong, I'll never forget that goal Jordan McMahon kicked to seal the much-needed win against Melbourne.

The Tigers took Martin at pick #3 and the rest is history, basically.

Oh, a North supporter.

The Gold Coast of Melbourne.

And if you want to be cute, at least get the facts right..

It was Fiora over Pavlich.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Our premiership in 2018 was built around Family Friends Flags. Lots of the playing list has young kids. There's always kids around the place. They are an important part of the club. The whole culture of the club is built around this. The eagles had to ( and did) a lot of work to clean things up after the mid 2000s. Granted Riolis behavior lately taints that reputation a bit. However, an act of stupidity by one player shouldn't tarnish the whole group. It is definitely a family friendly club.
Yeah I don't doubt that. I just think it was bordering on distasteful to bring his autistic kids into it, not sure whether that was his manager or the media. Pretty sure he wants to go to West Coast because they're good at footy, not because Freo won't take care of his kids.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Actually quite amazing how many Eagles have kids. I know they have an older list as well as players from a certain background who seem to have kids earlier than most (you know what I mean) but it's amazing.

I look at the demons:
- Nathan Jones
- Jake Melksham
- Nev Jetta
- Lever (on the way)

AFL players often get in long term relationships earlier than most. They can't really go out and party and have to be very mature. But most aren't rushing in to kids in their early or mid 20's.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Freo didn't have many kids at the club, although Sandi and Ballantyne's kids had a ball at their farewell game. I think Freo could've been a supportive environment, it's just the Eagles clearly have that set up. Still not sure how much of a difference it would've made. From everything I've heard his partner wanted them to move home, so Tim probably got to choose which club and the Eagles are the obvious call.

Sassermon

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
could it not simply be something along the lines of location in relation to where his family lives? I've never been to w.a but i was just assuming that WC grounds and facilities were closer to where his family lives, meaning they could locate close to both the club and his support system

I will stand corrected on this, but I don't believe there's too many players with kids at Fremantle?
Don’t think there’s many, atm believe it is Walters, Mundy, Wilson and soon to include Duman. On age alone most of the guys don’t have kids yet with most of the recent retirees Sandi/Ballas/Johnson reducing the list.

Actually quite amazing how many Eagles have kids. I know they have an older list as well as players from a certain background who seem to have kids earlier than most (you know what I mean) but it's amazing.

For context, players with kids at the Eagles off the top of my head

Liam Ryan 1
Redden 1
Shuey 1
Hickey 1
Kennedy 2
Vardy 1
McGovern 1
Jetta 2
Darling 2
Schofield 1
Rioli 1

Ryan has another on the way and possibly others. That list recently lost Masten and LeCras who both have 2 kids.

It would be one of the highest rates in the AFL for players with kids

Back