The book is called the Jack dyer story,, the legend of Jack dyer
Written by Brian Hansen as told to him by jack himself
The best afl book ive ever read,, it's available still
Really RECCOMEMD any tiger fan buy it,,
Gives a great insight into how jack became a tiger legend
Great insight into early vfl days and why Richmond are a great team
Starts with jack a young boy at Yarra junction
Has all jack dyer post vfl carreer, some hilarious stories

Absolutely,,, 100% agree,, good thing back then was all the players ( both teams)
Would have a beer afterwards, and patch up there differences,, the umpires were
There as well,, ,,, it was brutal back then,,, especially in the Wednesday league
In the late 20s early 30s,,
Teams like the railway workers,,,, the wharfies,,,, the police and firies,, the cabbies
All played against each other, and use to belt the living suitcases out of each other
Fun times lol

Too right guruisatiger, every player wanted to win at all costs, but had mutual respect at the end of the game
Interesting that most country VFL players played for their local teams as well as VFL games during the week

Too right guruisatiger, every player wanted to win at all costs, but had mutual respect at the end of the game
Interesting that most country VFL players played for their local teams as well as VFL games during the week
One of my favorite parts of the book was when Mopsy Frasier was famously sent to the backline after being given a bath at CHF in the first half, then being told by Jack he should be wearing a petty coat, and the now iconic Dyerism "ratbags to the backline" Mopsy then went on to be one of our greatest CHB, but the interesting part was the CHB that gave Mopsy the first half touchup was non other than the legendary Keith Miller.

Because Broad is versatile. He, Rance and Grimes can play tall or small, which means they can cover for each other with limited issues. Baker and Short can only play small and when forced onto tall blokes are easily outmarked. Henderson, who shouldn’t be on an AFL field anymore, outmarked both with ease in the PF.

We might lose a little bit of drive, but Rance can do that and basically run free as a 3rd man up everywhere and his kicking is usually pretty good.

Stack is also already better than both of them.

We have Astbury too. I have Short on the wing anyway. A more attacking position. He can hit the forwards on the chest or bang it long for goal. I like Stack in defence. 3 tall backs is a good number

Exactly,, I'd love to be able to get into a time machine,, and go back to the halcyon days
See big jack strutt out onto punt rd, in front of 40,000 plus screaming tigers
It would be epic

We have Astbury too. I have Short on the wing anyway. A more attacking position. He can hit the forwards on the chest or bang it long for goal. I like Stack in defence. 3 tall backs is a good number

I didn't list Astbury because he can't play small like Grimes/Broad/Rance. With Broad in the team we can play Rance as a free man, he'll run around taking intercept marks, intercept possessions and be 3rd man up. It's actually not fair.

Can't see Short being best 22 next year. Graham and Rance are 100% ins and Stack not far behind, someones got to make way and Baker and Short are the two most obvious ones.

I've said it before, and it ain't gunna be popular...

Both Port Power and Camry Crows will be watching Jack Graham next year with bated breath and saliva dripping out. Will be very very high on their shopping lists and why not?
2 first rounders should get it done.

Pending who comes and goes there could be a decent shake up of at least 6 changes.

Rance, Stack, Graham, Ross? Balta? CCJ? Naish? RCD? Some other preseason bolter? Plus whoever we might get at the trade table.
Getting a quality team together is not the problem in mo, it's having enough quality back up in players to cover for the inevitable injuries/management!

But Broad gives us very little rebound, as good as he is defensively. Rance is better defensively and far better offensively. Alternatively Rance could even play as a HB, free him up and let him enjoy his football. He is so good at ground level he could almost take Shorts place. But then Stack could also take Shorts place... the luxury.
Out side of both Stack and pickett who i think would make our best h/b flankers,but have shown they can be a part of the midfield. I Still think the one who looks the best h/b prospect is Eggmolesse-Smith.

As a h/b i thing the egg has far more potential than both Short and Baker.I will be shocked if he doesnt warrant a games next yr and when he gets his opportunity i reckon he will keep his spot.

Rcd is a tease atm, shows a glimpse here and there but until he shows a hell of a lot more consistency thru games on a regular basis he wont get a game.
He should be better for another preseason and he should manage some games if he shows some improvement.He and Ross are imo the missing pieces when it comes to mids. They would both round our midfield out nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out side of both Stack and pickett who i think would make our best h/b flankers,but have shown they can be a part of the midfield. I Still think the one who looks the best h/b prospect is Eggmolesse-Smith.

As a h/b i thing the egg has far more potential than both Short and Baker.I will be shocked if he doesnt warrant a games next yr and when he gets his opportunity i reckon he will keep his spot.

Rcd is a tease atm, shows a glimpse here and there but until he shows a hell of a lot more consistency thru games on a regular basis he wont get a game.
He should be better for another preseason and he should manage some games if he shows some improvement.He and Ross are imo the missing pieces when it comes to mids. They would both round our midfield out nicely.
Yes I tend to agree about DES. Come a long way quickly. The only issue is that it is hard enough to replace established players at the best of times, much less Grand Final players. He has a better boot than both of them, although Bakers kicking is underrated and Shorts is over rated. Thing is I don't see either of them being best 22 next year due to Rance, Ross, Pickett and Stack being automatic best 22. So he might have to wait a bit to get a game.

RCD I don't find a tease at all. You have to give inside mids, especially when they are not built like Ross or Jack Graham a bit of time to transition from U18's to VFL. Thought he handled that pretty well, he is still quite lean, but what impressed me most was how hard he hit his tackles towards the end of the season. The next step was transitioning into a more attacking mid, which he did in the finals. I think his progression was pretty linear and there is no reason to think that he won't take that to the next step at some stage, even if just for a few games. To much physical talent to stay to long in the lower level.

I'd pull a shock move at play the new draftees.

B: Rance, Broad, Astbury
HB Grimes, Houli, Stack
C: Prestia, Martin, draft pick 1
HF: JR8, Edwards, Lambert
F: Rioli, Draft pick 2, Bolton
R: Nank, Cotchin, Vlastin
I: Soldo, Caddy, Pickett, Ross

Castagna hamstring twinge, late withdrawal.

HB Grimes, Houli, Stack

Castagna doesn't have hamstrings, just wind him up and let him go.

HB Grimes, Houli, Stack

RCD, Ross etc. will be spewing

One of my favorite parts of the book was when Mopsy Frasier was famously sent to the backline after being given a bath at CHF in the first half, then being told by Jack he should be wearing a petty coat, and the now iconic Dyerism "ratbags to the backline" Mopsy then went on to be one of our greatest CHB, but the interesting part was the CHB that gave Mopsy the first half touchup was non other than the legendary Keith Miller.
Yes indeed ,, some amazing stories in there

My favorite story is of one of young jack dyers first training sessions at Richmond
Coach,, checker Hughes gave jack a 30 minute session one on one
With the legendary Joe Murdoch the hardest ,toughest and meanest
Defender at punt rd,,poor ole Jacky never touched the ball didn't even
Look like touching it,, Joe litterally gave him a hiding,,,,
Young jack trudged off the ground thinking his vfl career was over jack apologized
" sorry Mr Hughes I let you down i wasted your time "
Checker replied as he put his arm around a young desolate dyer
" that's alight son,, Joe is the meanest toughest defender in the league
He defeats the best forwards in the land,,,I didn't expect you to touch
The ball ,, I just wanted to see if you had the courage to keep trying
And to see how determined you are,, ,it's ok son welcome to tigerland "
Jack states " from that day on I never looked back "

Just on RCD The knock on him when drafted was a lack of ball winning and consistency.As far as i can see that has continued. For me its a box he really needs to tick.He also needed work on his tank that will come in time and it should help him get to more contests and find more ball.
I agree with you he has a lot of weapons and if he can build a complete game he will very good.The kid is listed at 189/89 he is already a good size and i dont believe he will get too much heavier.Thats not say he wont get stronger he will.

Back to the h/b line and i have said this a few times and copped abuse for thinking it.
Houli is 32 and yes he wont be dropped as a current A/A player who has performed really well for several seasons .He deserves his spot and a game.
I have always believed he has short comings but what he has brought to the table has outweighed them. For me Houlis competetion has been Short Baker and Ellis. Because of aspects of each players game Houli has been the front runner and i strongly believe there is massive improvement to be had by playing just one of them and that one is Houli.

Just my opinion.But it must be getting close to the point where we are looking at his spot and his replacement at the age of 32.If hes not going too well next yr do we look to play someone else in his place.
Just asking the question, nothing sinister but we must be looking at his age and how long he has left. atm he is in my best 22 but i am looking at the future as well as the now. Lets say Houli retired it would solve one big problem of giving a game to players who are ready and H/b is their best position.

On Nathan Broad imo its a no brainer Rance a genuine kpd sized player has to come into the team. he is a better defender better equiped to take on genuine sized kpd's and he is a far far better offensive weapon to go with it.He just makes our structure so much more efficient and flexable actually freeing up players like Vlastuin and Grimes.

I can envision times when Broad would be needed ie when Grimes is asked to play on someone like Charlie Cameron again, and we need a third tall type.
But if run presence delivery along with defense is the go then imo Stack and Pickett are montys for hb and des should/could be.

There's gonna be some big calls to be made next year. Don't envy the selectors.

B: Houli, Astbury, Vlastuin
HB Grimes, Rance, Stack
C: Caddy, Martin, McIntosh
HF: Edwards, Lynch, Bolton
F: Baker, Riewoldt, Castagna
R: Soldo, Cotchin, Prestia
I: Pickett, Ross, Coleman-Jones, Lambert

Just on RCD The knock on him when drafted was a lack of ball winning and consistency.As far as i can see that has continued. For me its a box he really needs to tick.He also needed work on his tank that will come in time and it should help him get to more contests and find more ball.
I agree with you he has a lot of weapons and if he can build a complete game he will very good.The kid is listed at 189/89 he is already a good size and i dont believe he will get too much heavier.Thats not say he wont get stronger he will.

Back to the h/b line and i have said this a few times and copped abuse for thinking it.
Houli is 32 and yes he wont be dropped as a current A/A player who has performed really well for several seasons .He deserves his spot and a game.
I have always believed he has short comings but what he has brought to the table has outweighed them. For me Houlis competetion has been Short Baker and Ellis. Because of aspects of each players game Houli has been the front runner and i strongly believe there is massive improvement to be had by playing just one of them and that one is Houli.

Just my opinion.But it must be getting close to the point where we are looking at his spot and his replacement at the age of 32.If hes not going too well next yr do we look to play someone else in his place.
Just asking the question, nothing sinister but we must be looking at his age and how long he has left. atm he is in my best 22 but i am looking at the future as well as the now. Lets say Houli retired it would solve one big problem of giving a game to players who are ready and H/b is their best position.

On Nathan Broad imo its a no brainer Rance a genuine kpd sized player has to come into the team. he is a better defender better equiped to take on genuine sized kpd's and he is a far far better offensive weapon to go with it.He just makes our structure so much more efficient and flexable actually freeing up players like Vlastuin and Grimes.

I can envision times when Broad would be needed ie when Grimes is asked to play on someone like Charlie Cameron again, and we need a third tall type.
But if run presence delivery along with defense is the go then imo Stack and Pickett are montys for hb and des should/could be.
Just on RCD, there is an interview of the Richmond website on draft night where he says he has grown 8cm in his pre draft year and he says he is 2cm shorter than Patrick Cripps. So that puts him around 192cm last November. So the 189cm on the website is a bit like the 185cm Conca was for years. He was listed at 193cm and 88kg's when he played for the Oakleigh Chargers. He has got an undeveloped but athletic body. He will be easily get to 90+kgs in the next year. And he is tough.

HB Grimes, Houli, Stack

sorry mate but thats jusr ridiculous. which draftees are going to get in? we have ross, stack, pickett, graham, etc etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back