List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine being a recruiter and spending hundreds of hours watching certain players from the NT develop over the years, just for the AFL to come out a few months before the draft and say they are now tied to Gold Coast. That would pee me right off.
Probably feel like our clubs draft watchers now we dont have any picks

In most years trading out of a whole draft would be risky.

But given where our list is at right now, this was the perfect time to do it.

In the last 3 years we have drafted:
Venables, Rotham, Rioli, Waterman, Allen, Brander, Ryan, Petch, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, Cameron, Williams, XON and Foley.

That’s 14 youngsters, the majority of which will be on our list for years for a long time.

We can afford to miss a year of drafting to bring in Kelly

But if we did that deal we would either trade it to the Cats or use it to draft Kelly so dont know how we would be better off?
Could have used it as leverage to get more back from the Cats. Pick 6 for Kelly and their second or we send him to the draft, cancels out the 24 and effectively makes it 2019 and 2020 firsts for Kelly. It’s done now anyway and we were never likely to shaft Geelong, we’re always very respectful at the trade table, sometimes a little too much so.

Could have used it as leverage to get more back from the Cats. Pick 6 for Kelly and their second or we send him to the draft, cancels out the 24 and effectively makes it 2019 and 2020 firsts for Kelly. It’s done now anyway and we were never likely to shaft Geelong, we’re always very respectful at the trade table, sometimes a little too much so.
Why gift the Cats Pick 6?

This was a premeditated trade. I believe WC will have thought trhrough the next steps re the draft/s and trades as part of teh same planning. Lets wait and see.

Feel like we are looking for excuses because let’s be real, we didn’t achieve “value for money” with this deal.

We don’t really have picks left to make plays with, so all that’s left is to turf out a player or two which I doubt we will do. Maybe we try grab a pick in the 40s/50s with our future third but that’s really all we could do at this stage.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feel like we are looking for excuses because let’s be real, we didn’t achieve “value for money” with this deal.

We don’t really have picks left to make plays with, so all that’s left is to turf out a player or two which I doubt we will do. Maybe we try grab a pick in the 40s/50s with our future third but that’s really all we could do at this stage.

***just when our heroes look doomed - like a flash ... is it a bird .... actually yes it is

Its school camp tent blowjob girl.......pick 50 = jd mkII

Last edited:
Image result for let it go gif rocky

I can't

Yall gonna be looking back on this and kissing my peen in 6 years time.

R U OK?

Can live with the trade, certainly not doing cartwheels, we sure as hell paid a hefty price.
No doubt we have got ourselves an outstandingly good player who's inclusion makes us a much stronger team.
We finally nailed an A grader.

Traded for the here and now, pretty much having put all of this years draft hand and next years first into it , so a Premiership is needed to justify the draft capital we have spent.
Good chance we will get number 5 :trophy: if the players are collectively switched on 2018 style and not in cruise control like they were in 2019

Three things that has annoyed me is this whole festering thread:

Fellow posters who have been bagging out other WC posters who haven't been happy with the cost of the trade.
Not every one sees it the same and the ridicule thats been whacked out has been OTT.
Consider this we paid more than has ever been paid, by any Club, in a trade for a player ... "EVER" ... two firsts and two seconds, with peanuts coming back.
So for some to look at the trade and say WTF should not be a surprise, some of us are not as generous as others.

Another thing, that pisses me off, is the posters who have said the picks we have given up are only speculative and the draft is only ever a crap shoot, while naturally you cant nail every pick in every draft, every year to demeaningly devalue the pick we gave up is folly.
We have given up four picks under 34 for one player.
Consider This.
In the 2018 Premiership Team the % of players who were drafted , either by us or the original Club they were drafted by with a pick under 34 was 64 % of the players in our team that day, 27% were taken in the 34+ range and 9 % were rookies.
I would suggest that 64 % is not an insignificant number.
So those who scoff at the picks we traded as being a nothing more than confetti are IMO wrong.

And finally, and most importantly, to all those annoying Dick Eater Geelong Supporters that have infested our Board over the last few weeks.
I would like to say from the bottom of my heart............... please............. FU(K OFF and never bother returning.

Mrs Monocle is hollering at me with an invite to have a lie down ;).... so I will just cut the little sachet of white powder .... drink it down with a cup of tea..... and try my luck.

download-29.jpg download-30.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly mentioned elsewhere but it is relevant that we have taken 9 players in the first 2 rounds of the last 2 drafts.

That’s significantly more than we’d normally take and it makes the sacrifice of a couple of extra 2nd round picks this year less of an issue even in terms of the list profile.

Possibly mentioned elsewhere but it is relevant that we have taken 9 players in the first 2 rounds of the last 2 drafts.

That’s significantly more than we’d normally take and it makes the sacrifice of a couple of extra 2nd round picks this year less of an issue even in terms of the list profile.

It's lucky we improved our picking of 2nd rounders - from memory our success rate was poor for a while.

In most years trading out of a whole draft would be risky.

But given where our list is at right now, this was the perfect time to do it.

In the last 3 years we have drafted:
Venables, Rotham, Rioli, Waterman, Allen, Brander, Ryan, Petch, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, Cameron, Williams, XON and Foley.

That’s 14 youngsters, the majority of which will be on our list for years for a long time.

We can afford to miss a year of drafting to bring in Kelly

I count 4 I don't think can make it at all
Rioli who was well worth the pick but now can't be relied upon.
Of those 9 left here's the count and what they have project to be (1 star player, 3 potential star / A grade players all with big question marks, 1 who's already a premiership player best 22 and in that 10-15 mark on a list, 3 who project to be roleplayers / 15-22 on a list and one whom it's too early to call on.

1 ruck/forward who is a horrendous shot for goal but otherwise is an outstanding prospect. If he can sort out his goalkicking he is a star and needs about 3 years more development.
1 Slightly undersized CHF with unbelievable talent. (I really was wrong with Ollen)
1 Third tall forward / Mid marking forward
2 Third tall defenders, one of which is tall enough at least to be a KPP but not necessarily the characteristics or build of one.
1 Small pressure forward
1 Small marking forward
1 HFF who my ******* word I hope progresses into a winger because if he can be a top line player
1 Midfielder in their first year on the list whereby from all reports the two games i saw of him were his worst for the year but looks to have potential.

I've written off Brayshaw, Ainsworth, Foley and Venables for various reasons and it's purely my opinion.

If the other players come on as I expect and Rioli only gets hit with 18 months out then we are golden but desperately short on mids going forwards.

Edwards is really the only key position back coming through and I'm not sold on Watson. He's a bit of an enigma as sometimes he looks good and other times looks very risky when he gets the ball. I'd be happy if he does make it, I just have a lot of doubt given he's been around for a while

I keep reading this about Watson, he takes risks with his disposal and at times it doesnt come off. That describes Jetta as well.

With experience and games comes composure and better decision making.

As for emerging kp backs we have both Allen and Brander who are big enough and good enough to play back if needed. No way should Edwards leap ahead of Brander.

I keep reading this about Watson, he takes risks with his disposal and at times it doesnt come off. That describes Jetta as well.

With experience and games comes composure and better decision making.

As for emerging kp backs we have both Allen and Brander who are big enough and good enough to play back if needed. No way should Edwards leap ahead of Brander.

Indeed Jetta can take on some huge risks and cost us a goal. But most of the time he hits a target and when he does he busts the game open.

Watson is in the same mould. Players like this WILL make mistakes but you take the good with the bad.

The Adelaide and GWS deal for pick 4 is interesting.. that’s pretty close to the hand we had. 12, 18 and 2020 first for pick 4. We had 14, 24 and 2020 first. If we got in early a couple of late pick swaps would have got that done. Just wonder whether we did actually explore all options or if we were just consigned to the fact that we were going to give Geelong what they wanted from the outset. Had all week to try and grab a top 5 pick for leverage.
For the most part I agree, but Adelaide are a ticking time bomb and their first next year is expected to be in the first 5 compared with us being around 18-20 odd

Look your right, I’m sure we will have 40 players on our senior list in 2032 or whatever the cap is then, so we won’t be “players short”.

This doesn’t change the fact we have missed out on 4 specific players that could have been on our list then but now can’t be.

There’s a very good chance at least one of 14, 2020 first, 24 and 33 will be playing in 12 years time, and therefore could have contributing to a future premiership wce premiership. Kelly’s chance meanwhile is 0.

We better hope that 6 years of kelly is worth more than 48 years of the four drafted at those picks.

You are over valuing picks imo. And also forgetting just how many 1st and 2nd rounders we have used recently. How about the extra 2nd rounders from Gold Coast and then using the GC opening 2nd traded for three picks plus the upgrade last season from the Swans?

We have cleverly manufactured multiple 2nd rounders lately. Next draft / trade period a player may leave and we trade back into the 1st.

Next year is heavily compromised with nga kids so good chance we turn our 2nd and two 3rds into a low 2nd or even 1st.

Always in motion is the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back