Eagles biggest moment of the 2010s

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
As the 2010s draw to a close, what is the biggest moment from the Eagles in the 2010s.

For me it has to be the 2018 premiership by the length of the Flemington Straight. Written off at the start of the season with media personality Robert Walls tipping us to win the wooden spoon, we defied preseason expectations to finish top 2 with a 16-6 record and overcoming adversity including the losses of Andrew Gaff to suspension and Nic Nat to an ACL injury plus Brad Sheppard’s hamstring in week 1 of the 2018 Finals.

In the Grand Final despite conceding 5 goals in the first quarter, we managed to overcome that deficit to beat Collingwood by 5 points in a thriller in front of 100,024 people despite Collingwood leading for most of the game. McGovern>Vardy>Ryan>Sheed>Premiership. It was our high point of our 33 year history.

Honourable mentions
- Nic Nat’s Mark of the year, 2015
- Liam Ryan’s Mark of the year, 2019
- From wooden spoon to Prelim Finalists, 2011
- Woosha departs, Simmo take charge, 2013
- Landing Tim Kelly, 2019
- Nic’s mark and goal after the siren vs North, 2013
- Shuey’s goal after the siren in ET vs Port

What are people‘s thought on this?

Last edited:

• LeCras 12 in 2010. Gee what bloody good night for a horrid season

• JK's first bag of 10 against Dogs in '11 off the back of a spoon the previous year. Was kind of like the moment I knew everything was going to be ok post Judd and Cousins.

• Semi final V Carlton. Glass' epic defending saves the game in the dying seconds.

• Naitanui after the siren v North

• 2015 was pretty magical as a whole until the end. Probably a better chance against the Hawks if we didn't play them at the end of the season and then again in the finals before the GF. Anyhow....

• Naitanui's goal on the siren against GWS

• Naitanui's knee a week later

• Journeyman Giles dominating Adelaide another week later

• Last game at Subi when everyone in the crowd was cheering for the margin to make finals. Was surreal moment

• Shuey's heroics in the Elimination final

• McGovern's heroics v Port. Didn't lead until the final siren. That's one cold hearted campaigner of a performance

• McGovern -> Vardy -> Ryan -> Sheed

That 2011 semi started awfully with the Carlton song playing instead of the anthem then we conceded the first four goals.

Channel 10’s five minute warning put me on the edge with the last quarter going 35 minutes. Darren Glass‘s defensive work saved us.

That 2011 semi started awfully with the Carlton song playing instead of the anthem then we conceded the first four goals.

Channel 10’s five minute warning put me on the edge with the last quarter going 35 minutes. Darren Glass‘s defensive work saved us.
And we wore white shorts at home with the tri-panel when Carlton had a perfectly good white clash but were in full navy blue. Kerr was crazy at the end in that game

I mean it's the flag, it can't not be, but it's given us plenty of content that's for sure.

2011's surprise resurgence.
Nic Nat's peak.
Coaching change, moving on from a favourite son and onto a coach for the next generation.
Two very unique and influential game styles.
Josh ******* Kennedy.
Priddis Brownlow.
Yeo's development.
Nic Nat vs Norf.
Nic Nat vs GWS.
Port after the siren.
Port after the siren.
New stadium.
Derbies lol.
Prelim vs Melbourne.

Been worse ways to go about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we wore white shorts at home with the tri-panel when Carlton had a perfectly good white clash but were in full navy blue. Kerr was crazy at the end in that game

6:52. Must watch stuff from Kerr. Not flashy, not a highlight you'd want to emulate in the backyard growing up, but it's my lasting image of what Daniel Kerr meant to our club.

• LeCras 12 in 2010. Gee what bloody good night for a horrid season

• JK's first bag of 10 against Dogs in '11 off the back of a spoon the previous year. Was kind of like the moment I knew everything was going to be ok post Judd and Cousins.

• Semi final V Carlton. Glass' epic defending saves the game in the dying seconds.

• Naitanui after the siren v North

• 2015 was pretty magical as a whole until the end. Probably a better chance against the Hawks if we didn't play them at the end of the season and then again in the finals before the GF. Anyhow....

• Naitanui's goal on the siren against GWS

• Naitanui's knee a week later

• Journeyman Giles dominating Adelaide another week later

• Last game at Subi when everyone in the crowd was cheering for the margin to make finals. Was surreal moment

• Shuey's heroics in the Elimination final

• McGovern's heroics v Port. Didn't lead until the final siren. That's one cold hearted campaigner of a performance

• McGovern -> Vardy -> Ryan -> Sheed
Summed it up perfectly.

Top 3 moments for me are:

1. Flag. That day was just something I’ll never forget. From the crippling nerves the night before and the morning of which had me in the gym 4 times within about 6 hours just because I couldn’t sit still with anxiety, to absolutely copping it from all my Freo mates at the GF party in the first quarter which gave me bad 2015 flashbacks, to those last few seconds when I realised that we were the 2018 Premiers without Gaff, NN and Sheppard. Partied all night that night and I don’t think I slept for at least 48 hours following. Absolute tears of joy seeing LeCras get a flag after all he did for the club during the dark years.

2. Carlton SF in 2011. That’s when it really sunk in for me that we were back. Kerr beast mode. Glass huge. Shuey the new kid on the block massive. That outrageously long last quarter was edge of your seat madness.

3. Technically two moments but it works as one. Port after the siren x 2. 2017 Shuey doing it in extra time in a final was the stuff of dreams. It was worldwide news and we could go a lifetime before anything like that happens again. 2018 Gov doing it again after the week we had after the Gaff incident I think was the event that started us on our flag destination. Completely galvanised the group after having our culture questioned and being labeled ‘weak’. You campaigners know what happened next.

Lycett's fist pumping "Up the ******* Coasters" followed by the team photo to Gaff afterwards was pure :moustache:

91f05346a493e63ce51d0a054c203d02

6:52. Must watch stuff from Kerr. Not flashy, not a highlight you'd want to emulate in the backyard growing up, but it's my lasting image of what Daniel Kerr meant to our club.

Oh man really pissed me off he didn't do one year with Simmo.

Also I'm surprised we didn't start the Return the Wings campaign after this game. For starters we should have been in full tripe-anal v Carlton white or otherwise will Royal v Navy...... any how amateur hour at the VAFL.

Last Game at Subi which ended Melbourne's finals hopes and made the Finals thanks to percentage.

2018 Prelim vs Melbourne. Restricting Melbourne to 0.6.6, "Eagles chant", "MCG" chant and Mexican wave plus breaking the hearts of Dees fans who made the trip west. Loudest crowd we've played in front of. Melbourne are not the same again.

Watching some of our young players develop into the senior leaders and stars they are today has been a joy. Sheppard was a player who didn’t really have a settled role in the team and most people shook their heads every time they got picked. Now, he’s probably close to the first name on the team sheet each week and is one of the best defenders in the game.

I remember watching the game against Collingwood where Yeo got his teeth knocked out and saying to my old man ‘I don’t really rate this Yeo kid, not sure why we play him’. Not my finest moment. He’s grown into a leader, a match winner and someone who can put 60,000 people in a stadium and his 21 team mates on his back and drag them through the trenches with him.

Then there’s the curious case of Jack Darling, the 18 year old who debuted looking like Wayne Carey in his prime physically but, at times, had the heart of a mouse. Over the years he’s teased us with glimpses of what he could be, and the last 2 seasons have seen him playing like a man uncaged. The shackles are off, and Jack now has the game to go with the body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back