List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miguel Sanchez

Earlier in the year (perhaps late last year), I made a statement in the Drafts and Trading TK thread that we would only pay 1 first rounder for TK. Miguel disagreed with me saying we would be paying more. I humbly apologise.

AOW xox

Been waiting months for you to finally acknowledge that!

(I’d be lying if I said I remembered)

I keep reading this about Watson, he takes risks with his disposal and at times it doesnt come off. That describes Jetta as well.

With experience and games comes composure and better decision making.

As for emerging kp backs we have both Allen and Brander who are big enough and good enough to play back if needed. No way should Edwards leap ahead of Brander.
I have watched a decent amount of live Weagles game this year.
If Brander has the heart (my only question), guy is destined to be a gun!!!
He does s**t and moves like nobody I have seen for that size/height!
What position he plays... I don’t know. Guy could be KP or a bloody wingman!!!

I keep reading this about Watson, he takes risks with his disposal and at times it doesnt come off. That describes Jetta as well.

With experience and games comes composure and better decision making.

As for emerging kp backs we have both Allen and Brander who are big enough and good enough to play back if needed. No way should Edwards leap ahead of Brander.
Edwards who is behind brander in skill and talent is a much more natural lock down defender .
But why would we want to put a saddle on brander anyway let him run wild and free

You are over valuing picks imo. And also forgetting just how many 1st and 2nd rounders we have used recently. How about the extra 2nd rounders from Gold Coast and then using the GC opening 2nd traded for three picks plus the upgrade last season from the Swans?

We have cleverly manufactured multiple 2nd rounders lately. Next draft / trade period a player may leave and we trade back into the 1st.

Next year is heavily compromised with nga kids so good chance we turn our 2nd and two 3rds into a low 2nd or even 1st.

Always in motion is the future.
Last time we had a draft hand this bad we drafted collage carter and hutch .
TBH we had way better picks that draft

Edwards who is behind brander in skill and talent is a much more natural lock down defender .
But why would we want to put a saddle on brander anyway let him run wild and free

Edwards does some things a lot better than Brander, but he’s certainly a different sort of player. In his first year of League football coming off a limited preseason he turned heads especially early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you would think, with us having to double up against 3-of-the-top-6 and with the AFL's love of grudge matches, that we play the cats twice next year.

I'm not unhappy with that (albeit we can't win in Geelong, but records are made to be broken).
We should just rest all of our players and send the beagles down to that dumpster fire .

Pumping games into Brandner in 2020 shpuld be a prioirty for simmo. Kinda like the idea of him playing on a wing.

Really hopeful venables can come back fit in 2020. I dont mind if he ever transitions to the midfield full time, in fact i think having a talented HFF who can pinch hit in the middle is crucial. He has the tools, lets hope it comes together.

What we desperately need is for the young mids to put pressure on the guys above. We need the likes of sheed, redden and hutch to be fighting for thier position (personally hope we move padt hutch). Its a big year for ainsworth, he has a lot of doubters but hopefully can prove us wrong. Hopefully XON can imporve his consistency at wafl level, maybe increase his production and crack a few games at afl level.

Edwards does some things a lot better than Brander, but he’s certainly a different sort of player. In his first year of League football coming off a limited preseason he turned heads especially early.

Yes but more that lock down defender who can take a grab .

Brander moves through traffic so well for a guy his size we should be using him to attack rather than a defender .

Feel like we are looking for excuses because let’s be real, we didn’t achieve “value for money” with this deal.

We don’t really have picks left to make plays with, so all that’s left is to turf out a player or two which I doubt we will do. Maybe we try grab a pick in the 40s/50s with our future third but that’s really all we could do at this stage.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A future third would be traded for a pick into the 40s and you’d suspect this would be done with someone who needs points in 2020. This would probably be done during the draft if a player slides.

Similarly if we keep both third rounders then we might package them up next year to get higher up the 2020 draft. Again to a club in need of points looking to retain higher picks.

There are lots of things the club can do and that’s before trading players out is taken into consideration.

Last edited:
There are lots of things the club can do and that’s before trading players out is taken into consideration.

Yes, including bringing in free agents.

For a club in contention & with some creative accounting, this will turn out all good.

If we are going to continue playing 4 KPFs, I'd like to see Brander get another shot in Waterman's role high leading HF role.

He might not (yet) have Waterman's nous and work rate to create space, but he will be much more of a weapon with the ball in hand up the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we have any restrictions with what we can trade pickwise now?
But with a second rounder and two third rounders next year, we'd be pretty appealing to the dogs who need points value next year. Could use them to come up draft order this year or next.
I think we have to use our first in 2021 but potentially our future 3rd and the future 3rd we got from Geelong could move us up to the 2nd round this year. A lot of clubs will need points for father son bids next year. 17 of the u'17's All Stars teams out of 48 players are father son's next generation and northern academy picks this year. With the Sun's prelisting their academy players 2020 is looking thinner than normal.

Fair trade in the end, I think a few (not all) WCE posters were probably buying into the whole 'uncontracted' narrative a bit too much and convinced themselves that in the end Geelong would simply take whatever the Eagles deemed fit to give, hence the disappointment when the trade turned out the way most of us thought it would all along.

You lot won't be disappointed come next year when you see him in action though.
No we underestimated how weak our list managers are.

Vozzo also confirmed last year the asking price was this years 1st plus last year's 21 and 22

So waited a year for for pretty much

21 22 vs around 16 26 40 if taking into account the 3rd round swaps
so we would have given away 21 and 22 rather than 24, 33 and next year's first. 21+22 roughly equals 24+next yr first, so we've given away an extra pick 33. And lost the opportunity to have Kelly for 2019, and his wage has probs gone up by $200k.

Whilst it was important to get this deal done, let's not forget:
1) We failed to take him in 2016 (indications from Vozzo suggesting we were in talks at that point so he was obvs on radar)
2) We failed to take him in 2017 (taking Brander and Allen instead); and
3) We refused to do a cheaper deal last year.

So I think the recruiting & list management team receives a Fail for the Tim Kelly project.

Yeah I mean Cole Rotham and Watson give some cover plus Nelson. Good player though Duggan. Getting back in early with picks would be preferable.
Trading out a best 22 player in our premiership window for early pick(s) would be preferable?
8CB9A6EB-AA27-4E57-82C1-4F6AC3C762CE.jpeg

Last edited:
I think of it like buying a house - do you risk missing out on the one you want by trying to haggle down to the lowest possible price? Or do you just get the deal done, knowing that in 20 years or after a premiership you won't care if you paid a bit extra.
You can view this deal two ways.

1) You really love this house, you want to buy it. You find out the owner can't afford the mortgage and needs to sell. You then give 20k above the asking price. That's what we did. GLASS HALF EMPTY

Or

2) We had a punt last year and won some money (pick 24). Therefore it only really cost us 14, a future first and a little bit extra. GLASS GALF FULL

While most people are concerned about their partners finding their pr0n stash, HoneyBadger35 is worried his gf will open the 7.4GB 'Personal Wellbeing' folder and find half a million BigFooty screenshots.
"I'M TELLING YOU BABY IT'S JUST...RESEARCH. HONESTLY!"

I will say, my phone has been absolutely lightning quick ever since HT and Fig departed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back