List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
02618c1f0e3a4afaf4fbc0485754af8e.jpg

So this is the dealio. What do we do?? We have a third from next year we could play with also.

I actually really liked this draft for us with some good WA kids potentially available in the 10-30 range in Roberson, rivers, Jackson and sharp. Would really love to find a way to get one of those boys but not sure it’s possible anymore.

Alternatively we could cull the rookie list harrrrd and try and build through there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The media saying star Eagles have taken a pay cut to get TK. Wow.
5 mill. He's up there with Gov and NN? Or above?
Does that make him the highest paid at WCE?
That's a lot of pressure.
Wonder what Shuey and Yeo and Gaff get?

Sounds like he's on 850- 870 K per year so would be same as Gaff and Shuey less then McGovern .

On the face of it, I feel kind of disappinted. I think we paid more than we should have. That being said there might be, and probably are, things none of us know about how this went down.

Maybe Kelly was softening towards going to Freo or has told us that if we couldn't get the deal down by Thursday he was going to have to talk to Freo. Or something like that. So we had to cough and get the deal done as we knew that as soon as Kelly met with Freo that would give Geelong the green light to refuse to trade with us.

I think we are a well run club and good negotiators. But, on the face of it, we paid more than we had to given the outward scenario of Kelly being uncontracted and nominating us. And he isn't a 25 year old Judd or Dangerfield. So i think something must have hapenned on the inside of this that forced to confront the choice of either over paying or missing out.

Troubling if an adult believes what they read in a news paper - 100% speculation

Indeed Jetta can take on some huge risks and cost us a goal. But most of the time he hits a target and when he does he busts the game open.

Watson is in the same mould. Players like this WILL make mistakes but you take the good with the bad.
There is no comparison between Jetta and Watson. Jetta is close to the best long and accurate kicking player in the AFL. Very rarely does he mess up his delivery but yes, sometimes it doesn’t come off. Watson on the other hand regularly tries to evade players and often then tries dinky little short passes which, if they miss, leaves the opposition with the ball near goals. If he wasn’t playing back it maybe wouldn’t be so much of a problem. As I said before, I would be delighted if he managed to fix this but for the moment it is a worry. I never suggested Brander being overtaken by Edwards but I guess I am hoping Brander will be groomed as Kennedy’s replacement rather than a back. Unfortunately Kennedy’s last half of the season wasn’t as good as we are used to and even the pressure he normally applied seemed lacking so it may be time to ease someone in to his role. Hopefully he gets back to his best....but?

There is no comparison between Jetta and Watson. Jetta is close to the best long and accurate kicking player in the AFL. Very rarely does he mess up his delivery but yes, sometimes it doesn’t come off. Watson on the other hand regularly tries to evade players and often then tries dinky little short passes which, if they miss, leaves the opposition with the ball near goals. If he wasn’t playing back it maybe wouldn’t be so much of a problem. As I said before, I would be delighted if he managed to fix this but for the moment it is a worry. I never suggested Brander being overtaken by Edwards but I guess I am hoping Brander will be groomed as Kennedy’s replacement rather than a back. Unfortunately Kennedy’s last half of the season wasn’t as good as we are used to and even the pressure he normally applied seemed lacking so it may be time to ease someone in to his role. Hopefully he gets back to his best....but?

There are many close comparisons between Watson and Jetta. Watson for one is being groomed as Jetta's replacement as a rebounding half back.

Jetta makes mistakea as do all players and more often than I would like. Compared to Hurn who rarely makes mistakes Jetta regularly produces a clanger that costs goals. He just hits targets more than most and looks good doing it but lets not put him up there as being pefect.

For what its worth the indigenous boys rate Franky as up there as the best of them. The lad can lay a hard tackle too.

On the face of it, I feel kind of disappinted. I think we paid more than we should have. That being said there might be, and probably are, things none of us know about how this went down.

Maybe Kelly was softening towards going to Freo or has told us that if we couldn't get the deal down by Thursday he was going to have to talk to Freo. Or something like that. So we had to cough and get the deal done as we knew that as soon as Kelly met with Freo that would give Geelong the green light to refuse to trade with us.

I think we are a well run club and good negotiators. But, on the face of it, we paid more than we had to given the outward scenario of Kelly being uncontracted and nominating us. And he isn't a 25 year old Judd or Dangerfield. So i think something must have hapenned on the inside of this that forced to confront the choice of either over paying or missing out.

14 plus 24 plus our 2020 1st would have been fine.

Those picks will slide further.

We then stumpoed up pick 33 which will end up 37 and got two 3rd rounders back, one this year one next year. Thats how much we over paid. Loose change.

Effectively split 33 into 52 and Cats future 3rd, which when you consider where most the F/S and academy bid points come from, 52 is going to end up a lot closer to 33 by the end of the draft IMO.

So we pretty much paid the 2 1sts and 24 which is really fair value. I thought originally that would be the deal, only with 36 coming back. Like others have said, do you really gamble getting a player like Kelly for a pick 36?

If it's $5 mill and 6 years he's on less than 850, which is considerable unders really. He would have gotten plenty more at Freo or Geelong, so props to Tim and our club for selling itself so well.

Vozzo said something generally like we have a large group of senior players that are willing to take less to fit everyone in. Speaks well of the club's culture and I reckon there's a bit of 'I'll get paid when it's my turn and then it's another teammates go'.

Exceptional salary cap management by the club really. Long term contracts given out so that the new CBA relieves some of the pressure in future. Kane Cornes was genuinely flabbergasted trying to work it all out yesterday. Understandable when we apparently have 15 players on 7 figures and Mutimer on 8.... And it's Kane Cornes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vozzo pretty much said it on TR yesterday

This is quite a different statement. The sensational headline is that players have had their pay cut - i.e. reduced over what it was. Vosso is saying that contracts have been agreed over time with players limiting their claims under new contracts (could very well be an increase over the previous) knowing that overall the team will be stronger.

Lol.

Geelong board also think they got bent over, so what does that tell you?

Our drafting is s**t, Ainsworth is no good. O’Neill is no good. Foley invisible. Oh but also why oh why did we have to pass on the next Ainsworth, Foley or O’Neill?

Picks are picks. You use them to acquire talent that you hope will come within 100 miles of Tim Kelly’s talent.

Nope until picks become players nobody really knows. It's a really interesting deal for a player with so little AFL exposure. Not quite sure i have witnessed many deals that went over two trade periods before. And in the 2nd season the player improved remarkably.

It's tricky the trelaor and shiel deals all had picks inside top (10). I'm pretty sure if West Coast had (8) this year and projected to be outside the 8 or around 8th in 2020 would have been a much easier deal to complete.

It's probably that 8 and a future first with something going back depending on the picks most likely a second rounder.

Geelong realistically wanted (8) + future 12 or 14 something of that nature.

I'm not sure Anthony Mconville kellys manager has any idea what he is doing he has looked after his player i suppose but i suspect with a more experienced player manager a deal could of been done end of last season.

6 year deal was interesting for a 25 year old that's a lot of seasons but well done to Tim he deserves that contract he kept at it when nobody would draft him.

I have absolutely no idea how this trade will work out. If the eagles have some success in the next few seasons or get a cup or another grand final berth it will make the Tim Kelly trade cheap as chips. He was probably the difference in the final 2 goals 20 touches. Followed that up with 30 + 3 goals vs richmond.

So interesting been amusing seeing the banter and hate across both boards these last 12 months needed an end for everybody involved

Good luck in 2020

This is quite a different statement. The sensational headline is that players have had their pay cut - i.e. reduced over what it was. Vosso is saying that contracts have been agreed over time with players limiting their claims under new contracts (could very well be an increase over the previous) knowing that overall the team will be stronger.
Which is probably why we said goodbye to Lycett when he got the wobbles about moving to Port and asked us to match.

Which is probably why we said goodbye to Lycett when he got the wobbles about moving to Port and asked us to match.
Probably and possibly
The club plans well ahead. BF works on a 10 minute decision loop.
The trade was quick because it was planned. I wonder what else is planned over the coming month or so.

Press conference yesterday.
It was a throw away line. He was asked what we would do for the rest of trade period and said we'd probably try and move up the draft order a bit, and then laughed.

Very happy to have Kelly finally. We paid perhaps overs a bit.

but imagine if we didn’t get him. The angst, we would Probably need no less than, multiple flags going forward, to justify not trading hard for him.

the time to pay overs, is when your window is open.

I think of it like buying a house - do you risk missing out on the one you want by trying to haggle down to the lowest possible price? Or do you just get the deal done, knowing that in 20 years or after a premiership you won't care if you paid a bit extra.
Regarding the house hypothetical, I need to know if Vozzo’s the seller of the house before I decide on my negotiation strategy.

Well I’ve woken up super happy.

Rather have a known TK in the Wings, then a bunch of unknowns

But thats just me.

2020/21 looking goooooood 🦅 🏆

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back