List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
So (excluding the pick swaps that got us these picks to begin with), I believe our overall 2017 draft looks something like this:

IN: Brander, Allen, Kelly, Ryan, Ainsworth, Petch, Brayshaw, 2019 pick 52, 2020 third round pick (tied to Geelong)
OUT: 2017 picks 13, 21, 26, 32, 38, 68, 2019 picks 14, 24, 33, 2020 first round pick

To be honest I think there's more pressure on Brander than Kelly. Really hope he makes it. The club obviously rated it Brander > Allen > Kelly, but I haven't seen anything to justify that rating of Brander. Having said that I haven't seen much of Brander at WAFL level or obviously AFL. And I do back the club's strategy of drafting KPP and trading in mids given our talent at identifying and developing KPP talent vs our track record with mids.

Deplorable trumpster

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I think we were forced into paying overs for Kelly by a combination of unfortunate circumstances.

Firstly, we were dealing with an irrational trading counterpart. It seemed to me from Geelongs public statements that they were equally motivated by not wanting to trade Kelly to us, because they saw us a flag rival, as they were motivated by wanting to maximise the trading return that they got in return for Kelly. I think that they would have happily taken a lesser return from Freo than they got from us, purely to just to keep him off us.

Secondly, we had Freo lurking around refusing to **** off and go away. Bell was out there on TR every other day making comments that made it clear that they still wanted to keep bidding for Kelly anyway, even though he had said No to going there. If media reports are to be believed they even went as far as making clear offers of top ten picks to Geelong.

These are both very unusual circustances. It is rare to be faced with an irrational trading counterpart who is not 100% purely motivated by the desire to maximise trading return, but is equally as motivated by he intention to just not trade the player to you. It is also rare for a rival club to just continually lurk around on the fringes, wasting their time and embarassing themselves by forcing the player to keep publicly re-iterating their rejection of the rival club. I mean, i have never heard of a circumstance before where a club continually engages in negotiations for a player who has rejected them. If you were a CEO would you hire, let alone buy, an employee who had repeatedly rejected your company and made clear that they have a negative opinion of your company and didn't want to work there? Well, thats what Freo did. They have no dignity at all.

If you couple those circumstances together i guess i can understand why the club felt it was better to overpay and get the deal done than take the chance that these unique circumstances might eventually derail the trade if the clock kept running down.

Sep 30, 2012
The suburbs
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, Ferrari, Minardi
Reckon we should make a play for Aidan Bonar, played 6 games in to years at the giants. But still has two years on his contract. Would help us with our midfield stocks and could come cheap?
If we had kept one of our second rounders we might have been looking at him or Acres, but now that its gone I dont think its a possibility until next year. If he's still a fringe player next year and GWS keep loading up on mids through their academy, then we could lure him over to be boost our midfield. The only thing is, he reminds me a little of Cockatoo. If you could keep him on the park after his knees then he could be a jet.

Yoey

All Australian
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I wonder if we are looking at getting a top 10 pick somehow? offer up Duggan to Melbourne perhaps ?

Can live with the trade, certainly not doing cartwheels, we sure as hell paid a hefty price.
No doubt we have got ourselves an outstandingly good player who's inclusion makes us a much stronger team.
We finally nailed an A grader.

Traded for the here and now, pretty much having put all of this years draft hand and next years first into it , so a Premiership is needed to justify the draft capital we have spent.
Good chance we will get number 5 :trophy: if the players are collectively switched on 2018 style and not in cruise control like they were in 2019

Three things that has annoyed me is this whole festering thread:

Fellow posters who have been bagging out other WC posters who haven't been happy with the cost of the trade.
Not every one sees it the same and the ridicule thats been whacked out has been OTT.
Consider this we paid more than has ever been paid, by any Club, in a trade for a player ... "EVER" ... two firsts and two seconds, with peanuts coming back.
So for some to look at the trade and say WTF should not be a surprise, some of us are not as generous as others.

Another thing, that pisses me off, is the posters who have said the picks we have given up are only speculative and the draft is only ever a crap shoot, while naturally you cant nail every pick in every draft, every year to demeaningly devalue the pick we gave up is folly.
We have given up four picks under 34 for one player.
Consider This.
In the 2018 Premiership Team the % of players who were drafted , either by us or the original Club they were drafted by with a pick under 34 was 64 % of the players in our team that day, 27% were taken in the 34+ range and 9 % were rookies.
I would suggest that 64 % is not an insignificant number.
So those who scoff at the picks we traded as being a nothing more than confetti are IMO wrong.

And finally, and most importantly, to all those annoying Dick Eater Geelong Supporters that have infested our Board over the last few weeks.
I would like to say from the bottom of my heart............... please............. FU(K OFF and never bother returning.

I feel like this post was speaking directly to my soul.

Thank you old timer, you are my spirit beast. Big bodied and inside 🐂

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
You can view this deal two ways.

1) You really love this house, you want to buy it. You find out the owner can't afford the mortgage and needs to sell. You then give 20k above the asking price. That's what we did. GLASS HALF EMPTY

Or

2) We had a punt last year and won some money (pick 24). Therefore it only really cost us 14, a future first and a little bit extra. GLASS GALF FULL

Under option 1, we paid the asking price, not over it. Alternatively we offer unders, wait a week for the owner to cave, then another couple in purple shirts rock up, offer the asking price and get the house. We spend the next x years wondering 'what if...'

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Doesn’t mean anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well I, and others it seems, have taken it to mean that a group of senior players have taken less cash than they could've demanded in preparation to be in a position to get another top line player.

Seemed very relevant to the discussion, but if you say it means nothing...

I wouldn't trade Duggan for anything later than pick 25. And that's in the unlikely situation where he was happy to be traded.

I don't rate the him personally. I think he's average and I get a FIGJAM vibe off him for someone who's output doesn't stack up, but I wouldn't trade him for a late 2nd.

As far as chasing other players. Bonar SPP, Acres, that ship has set sail this trade period as we simply no longer have anything of value, pick wise.

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I wouldn't trade Duggan for anything higher than pick 25. And that's in the unlikely situation where he was happy to be traded.

I don't rate the him personally. I think he's average and I get a FIGJAM vibe off him for someone who's output doesn't stack up, but I wouldn't trade him for a late 2nd.

As far as chasing other players. Bonar SPP, Acres, that ship has set sail this trade period as we simply no longer have anything of value, pick wise.

do you rate anyone on our list ?

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Kelly should have been traded last season due to the family situation his manager is saying , Geelong probably the most ruthless club in the AFL, bizarre 12 months really glad we have Kelly for a number of reasons .
Still don't think that they ever had the intention of trading a guy on 200k who is their second best player. Its moneyball stuff.

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Vozzo said that on Trade Radio that we are basically done and its just the delistings left to do. I think people can safely forget any deals like trading Duggan. Best we can hope for is maybe a swap of late picks, even that is unlikely given what we have left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back