List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread V2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, folks are jumping the gun with Ben, but I'll concede that he still has a couple of things to work on.

It's worth reminding folks that Robbie Tarrant had only played 7 games at the same age.

Great minds Tef, posted this in June:

Player Statistics Comparison​
Name​
Team​
Defender​
Position​
Defender​
4​
Career Games​
Gippsland Power​
Origin​
Bendigo Pioneers​
December 24, 1997​
Date of Birth​
April 25, 1989​
21yr 5mth​
Age​
Turned 22 in 2011​
201cm
Height​
196cm​
95kg​
Weight​
97kg
Last Drafted In​
Round 1, Pick #21​
Last Draft Position​
Round 1, Pick #15​
Last Drafted By​
2019​
Stats for Season​
2011​
3​
Games​
Robbie had a grand total of 4 more senior games at the same age and that was in a body 2 inches shorter and more developed.

Ben has shown more in the VFL than Robbie had at the corresponding age.

Cool your heels people.

Maybe we didn’t rate Doogie enough to go too hard. Shaw said he was of interest, but so were others.

No one knows for sure how desperately we went at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe - but what I hear is that we had a red hot crack at both Papley and Howard. What we (I) don't know is why did they go somewhere else. Did we not offer enough $$$, did we not present well? Really don't know but I somehow think money would not be the issue.

Barrett maintains we are a shambles off field and a few mates in the media suggest he is on the money. I don’t know the facts but you have to wonder. I suspect there is some truth in this although probably overstated. But the outcomes cannot be argued. Fail. The good news is we secured Higgo and Goldy. But we haven’t been able to expand the talent pool with a buy in. Need to get the draft right but have to worry about who is making the decisions - I think we would be fools to think Rawlings isn’t into it full on - just with discretion. We live in interesting times.

Given the way our year has gone since Brad left (off field anyway) then its understandable that people think we're a shambles off field.

However I think there is a clear direction there. Not just the former North people either. Most of the new off field recruits have had premiership success. At lower levels sure, but Rawlings and Shaw have both been involved in premiership success at AFL level as well - one as a player the other in a footy department. So they have a group of people who have run successful teams and a bit of AFL premiership experience at the leadership level both on and off field.

I genuinely think the people in the footy department now think the list is good enough to win a flag and maybe needs a bit of tweaking but that's it. Or at least think its worth a shot with those players next season to really know where they are at.

Also the trade talent on offer this year isn't great, especially compared to next year.

If we have a very good year next year but identify clear needs then we can tell our trade targets:

"This is what we've got, this is what we did with it, we think you will make a difference here (and perhaps this player will make the difference here as well) and that'll be enough to put us into flag contention."

Possibly that lack of desperation may have influenced other players too. "We'll take you if you want to come here but only for this and we're not chasing you" would put other players off I reckon, but if they aren't what we really want so why bullshit about it.

That is where I think we are at right now so i'm actually pretty happy with the way the trade eon is turning out. I don't think we are really that desperate for those outcomes (Papley and Howard.) More that they were nice if they happened but otherwise bfd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the way our year has gone since Brad left (off field anyway) then its understandable that people think we're a shambles off field.

However I think there is a clear direction there. Not just the former North people either. Most of the new off field recruits have had premiership success. At lower levels sure, but Rawlings and Shaw have both been involved in premiership success at AFL level as well - one as a player the other in a footy department. So they have a group of people who have run successful teams and a bit of AFL premiership experience at the leadership level both on and off field.

I genuinely think the people in the footy department now think the list is good enough to win a flag and maybe needs a bit of tweaking but that's it. Or at least think its worth a shot with those players next season to really know where they are at.

Also the trade talent on offer this year isn't great, especially compared to next year.

If we have a very good year next year but identify clear needs then we can tell our trade targets:

"This is what we've got, this is what we did with it, we think you will make a difference here (and perhaps this player will make the difference here as well) and that'll be enough to put us into flag contention."

Possibly that lack of desperation may have influenced other players too. "We'll take you if you want to come here but only for this and we're not chasing you" would put other players off I reckon, but if they aren't what we really want so why bullshit about it.

That is where I think we are at right now so i'm actually pretty happy with the way the trade eon is turning out. I don't think we are really that desperate for those outcomes (Papley and Howard.) More that they were nice if they happened but otherwise bfd.
Nail head, Papley would’ve been nice, Dougal might’ve found himself further down the pecking order at north then he was at port.

Nail head, Papley would’ve been nice, Dougal might’ve found himself further down the pecking order at north then he was at port.
Big possibility regarding Howard. I must have been watching a different Durdin to others on here last season. Very promising i thought.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wouldn't it be good...!

Incidentally, the fact that we're reduced to making lame 80s one hit wonder references is a general indication of the depths to which we've sunk.
And yet I still keep reading. Why?

Look its just one of those things.

No one is to blame.

You need to find yourself a sucker like the suns.. I guess the only reason he’s talking to stkilda is he needs another interested party to jack up his value.
The suns have come out and said they won't entertain what his agent has said. And rightfully so. Reeks of when rockliff wanted 800k, had no takers, took a hair cut the following year as a free agent.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The suns have come out and said they won't entertain what his agent has said. And rightfully so. Reeks of when rockliff wanted 800k, had no takers, took a hair cut the following year as a free agent.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agent trying to add FOMO to the sunset with stkilda talk.
they don’t have the currency to get it done.

So do I, but I'm not stupid enough to think I'm worth that on the open market.

I reckon I'm the only one (based on his BnF win and perceived trade/salary value) that rates this bloke's brother better. I haven't checked the numbers but I reckon Matt is a much better user.

We’ve basically gutted the place off field so it seems we have identified issues. Hopefully there’s a bit of short term pain that leads to long term pain.

Our strike rate does appear to be poor. Are we genuinely on the nose or have we allowed ourselves to victim of media perception?

It’s going to take Rawlings et al a good couple of years to fix whatever it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For everyone else yeah?

Absolutely. I think his game should be simplified. Beat your man and give it to the better users. If he frees up Tarrant to play a more offensive role, all will be good in the world.
If Maj comes back, I think he’s probably out the door for opportunity. Not a slight on him, I think he’ll be a better AFL player then VFL.
Good idea in theory but who are the better users in the back half? The best user we had was Thommo and he is gone - we urgently need some skill, poise and ball use back there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back