2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Birchall's manager on trade radio mentioned his knee is fine, just a soft tissue injury in his 3rd game back in round 20. Said soft tissue injury after knee injury not uncommon.
Only a one year deal but possibly has a trigger but only he and Club would know.
Good to have another experienced player. A 248 game half back. Career average being- elite in disposals, marks, disposal efficiency and score launches.
Not sure what we gave up but i don't think if would be much. Find out soon enough.
Welcome to the Lions Birch and family.
Edit- Confirmed (AFL site) no compensation to Hawthorne

Last edited:
Birchell's manager on trade radio mentioned his knee is fine, just a soft tissue injury in his 3rd game back in round 20. Said soft tissue injury after knee injury not uncommon.
Only a one year deal but possibly has a trigger but only he and Club would know.
Good to have another experienced player. A 248 game half back. Career average being- elite in disposals, marks, disposal efficiency and score launches.
Not sure what we gave up but i don't think if would be much. Find out soon enough.
Welcome to the Lions Birch and family.
Free agent. Nothing to give up apart from a spot and cash.

Cutler would be best 22 and staying with Brisbane if he could adhere to structures and do the team thing which is ultimately his downfall as a player. That's why he's going, not because Birchall is joining us.

Also worth noting first and second year players were best 22 over Cutler too which is very telling and corroborates the above.

So Achee comes in, CYE comes in, Birchall comes in. Hodgie goes out. Who else? Two more players are out to accommodate these guys. Lets say Christensen is one, who else? And then on top of that what about progression for Starch, Joyce, Berry, Cox Wooler ect? All blocked by a banged up 31 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maybe we’re also using Birchall to dump salary cap space on. If we’ve planned well, we’ll have room for our big name younger players to move onto big money in their next contract. So guys like Stef and Birchall would need to be soaking up that extra cap space this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's played 11 games in 3 years, and is 32.

And? The injury that kept him out for years is fixed and the injury he got at the end of last year was unrelated.

He's a free agent in a 1 year deal - no risk.

Weird flex. I wasn’t predicting anything nor do I have any inside information. I was merely saying that there is no way to tell what we have planned until it is all done and dusted. It’s becoming clear our club are pretty quiet about their recruiting and that we are running a pretty tight ship in terms of leaks.

We leaked like a sieve when we were a rabble a few years ago. Noble isn’t the type to give the media an advance heads up for the sake of it.
Totally agree with you here it's great to see the off field departments are moving as one in the same direction with no fractures.
In hindsight the leaks were an obvious symptom of a disjointed and disfunctional football department.

And it wasn't a flex or a dig at you... It was merely a friendly observation or perception with tongue in cheek. Unfortunately you can't convey tone in text form which is why I used the LOL

I get why we've taken Birchall . As long as he gets out on the park he's better than any other options.

If he has trouble with injuries and is in and out of the side then he's probably just thwarting the consistent development of someone younger.

But what it does tell you is that we think Hodge's absence will leave a big hole.

Hodge did a great job and we will be forever grateful. Birchall is not Hodge. The price we paid for Hodgie was Cutler being pushed out and is now leaving as he’s had no opportunities. Who’s the next Cutler?

Hodge didn't simply 'hold Cutler out'. He struggled to get in the team (for reasons unknown often debated) then had injury issues for the second half of the season.

He is now asking to go home because his Dad is sick, who knows what the plans for him might have been otherwise next year.

Speaks volumes for Cutler and co when the club prefers a 32 year old veteran with a injury history over them.

Welcome to the club Grant!

Equally what does it say for Mathieson that the club brings in CEY, having played 40 odd games in 8 years at the Crows.

And? The injury that kept him out for years is fixed and the injury he got at the end of last year was unrelated.

He's a free agent in a 1 year deal - no risk.
I hope you're are right Nunez, but there is always risk as a younger player has to be delisted, I suppose we agree to disagree.

So Achee comes in, CYE comes in, Birchall comes in. Hodgie goes out. Who else? Two more players are out to accommodate these guys. Lets say Christensen is one, who else? And then on top of that what about progression for Starch, Joyce, Berry, Cox Wooler ect? All blocked by a banged up 31 year old.

-Maximum downside is we have to let go of player 44 on the list, and it makes the competition for spots a bit tougher for the young guys.
-Maximum upside we win a premiership

Asymmetric risk/reward.

Maybe we’re also using Birchall to dump salary cap space on. If we’ve planned well, we’ll have room for our big name younger players to move onto big money in their next contract. So guys like Stef and Birchall would need to be soaking up that extra cap space this year.

Clever thinking

Would like to see Birchall actually come in for Witherden, I understand everyone says but Witherden is 21. Until he gets faster I'd like to see Birchall kicking the ball instead of Witherden. Hodgeys replacement can see it being someone quick maybe Cedric Cox or hopefully Brodie Smith still finds his way to Brisbane. Then Back 6 next year:
Gardiner, Andrews, Adams, Rich, Birchall & Cox/Smith.
I'll just say it if it is Smith in that 6 it becomes a premiership worthy back 6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back