List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running the numbers and I've managed to show that we only paid an extra 55 points or so over last years offer of 20+22+2019 2nd rounder.

Hear me out.

Last year we did a bunch of live-trade stuffing around that had the following effects:
Picks 20+22 became picks 28+31+35.
Pick 54 became pick 24 (Thanks Sydney for rorting the system and rewarding us for it)

So that makes last years offer 28+31+35+33, and this years offer 14+18 (estimated)+33+54 with 52 and 51 (estimated) coming back.

Works out to a difference of around 55 or a late 4th rounder. This is before picks 14+18 (estimated)+33 all slide down the order, while 52 and 51 (estimated) hold their value or even move up the order.

By the end of the draft with all the bidding and live trading shenanigans, I expect we'll have paid less points than we offered last year, with Geelong benefiting from Sydney turning pick 54 into 24 rather than us.

Sure, most of you glass-half-empty eeyores won't be able to think of pick 24 as pick 54, but that cost us nothing through a draft maneuver that's now been banned.

So in summary we only overpaid with something we got for free. Our drafting position is just as good as it would have been if we got Tim last year for our final offer and the AFL knocked back Sydney's shenanigans, or Sydney went to another club for it. Our draft position is better than it would have been if we paid what Geelong were asking and the AFL knocked back Sydney's shenanigans, or Sydney went to another club for it.

This concludes my TED talk. There is free panadol at the door as you exit the auditorium.

I've heard all week that WCE were a far more attractive proposition than Freo for Tim and his family because of their culture, much to the chagrin of us Geelong supporters, among other things. What's a downgraded 2nd round pick worth against potentially eroding a culture that's taken years to develop? Haggle until the last ten minutes of trade period and leave him in limbo or risk the uncertainty of the draft...Benefits far outweigh the cons - while it may be part true that Tim is just an asset, surely the human factor plays a part. If you were a player in Vic wanting to return home to Perth, seeing Tim head home on day three of the trade period while nothing else of note has even started to happen, you'd be even more encouraged that WCE were the right club to choose.
Seriously underrated point.

All baytrolling aside

My heart is sitting there saying we paid a little too much - reading the geelong board the average seems to think we paid a bit less than we should have. Usually means its somewhere near right.

The human cost of dragging it out when we openly acknowledge he has kids with massive problems would be to rubbish their family’s problems and prolong something really stressful for them.

Instead both clubs got together - got their arses into gear and got it done.

You have just changed my mindset completely. Kudos.

I've been running the numbers and I've managed to show that we only paid an extra 55 points or so over last years offer of 20+22+2019 2nd rounder.

Hear me out.

Last year we did a bunch of live-trade stuffing around that had the following effects:
Picks 20+22 became picks 28+31+35.
Pick 54 became pick 24 (Thanks Sydney for rorting the system and rewarding us for it)

So that makes last years offer 28+31+35+33, and this years offer 14+18 (estimated)+33+54 with 52 and 51 (estimated) coming back.

Works out to a difference of around 55 or a late 4th rounder. This is before picks 14+18 (estimated)+33 all slide down the order, while 52 and 51 (estimated) hold their value or even move up the order.

By the end of the draft with all the bidding and live trading shenanigans, I expect we'll have paid less points than we offered last year, with Geelong benefiting from Sydney turning pick 54 into 24 rather than us.

Sure, most of you glass-half-empty eeyores won't be able to think of pick 24 as pick 54, but that cost us nothing through a draft maneuver that's now been banned.

So in summary we only overpaid with something we got for free. Our drafting position is just as good as it would have been if we got Tim last year for our final offer and the AFL knocked back Sydney's shenanigans, or Sydney went to another club for it. Our draft position is better than it would have been if we paid what Geelong were asking and the AFL knocked back Sydney's shenanigans, or Sydney went to another club for it.

This concludes my TED talk. There is free panadol at the door as you exit the auditorium.

Related image

Seriously underrated point.

All baytrolling aside

My heart is sitting there saying we paid a little too much - reading the geelong board the average seems to think we paid a bit less than we should have. Usually means its somewhere near right.

The human cost of dragging it out when we openly acknowledge he has kids with massive problems would be to rubbish their family’s problems and prolong something really stressful for them.

Instead both clubs got together - got their arses into gear and got it done.

You have just changed my mindset completely. Kudos.

Imagine how this looks other players looking for new clubs when we are the first club to get a trade done this year, with an elite player everyone predicted would have to wait until the last day, and the other club asking for multiple top 10 picks and the first born son of all Jews in Egypt.

Getting shit done where the players are treated as people and not assets is an invaluable trait to have for future trades.

haha the melts on the Freo board would be hilarious at the moment.

This just proves you get your trades done.

Looking more like Brad Hill stays another year.

The amusing part of this is that it took possibly 3 hours for Freo to shoot themselves in the foot.

Meeting : We want 6 + next years first..
Meeting lasts a few minutes...

Straight after

Saints : F... Freo
immediately calls GWS to trade away pick 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They'll get 12 + 18, just as good.

You'd think the pick swap was so St Kilda have more currency for the other three trade targets, though.

Think Brad Hill stays. Fair enough. he's a contracted player.

You'd think the pick swap was so St Kilda have more currency for the other three trade targets, though.

Think Brad Hill stays. Fair enough. he's a contracted player.

Suppose so. Pick 6 was a great offer, how did Freo balls that up...

Suppose so. Pick 6 was a great offer, how did Freo balls that up...

Freo value Brad Hill more than pick 6, simple.

Like the Kelly trade last year, sometimes the two clubs just cannot arrive at a mutually agreed fair value for a player.

I’d give Bennell a lifeline.

The medical staff managed to get X. Ellis’ troublesome calf right so I’d back them in with Bennell. He’s just had a kid as well so hopefully a culture change would benefit him greatly. Get Jetta around the man, he’ll sort him out.
Nah no way fo

Im hearing too many rumblings of the dockers having a party culture like wc in the oughties. And too many rumblings of him being a big part if it.

Weve worked too hard to shed that tag

Someone ring Trade Radio and ask if North should now offer pick 8 for Hill.

“But he doesn’t want to play for North”

“Well Kelly didn’t want to play for Freo but it didn’t stop you campaigners going on about it”

Freo value Brad Hill more than pick 6, simple.

Like the Kelly trade last year, sometimes the two clubs just cannot arrive at a mutually agreed fair value for a player.

Pick 6 was fair for Hill with the fact he is contracted and the Saints offer was big. They should have taken it and ran.

How can you possibly be a figjam if you can't break out of the WAFL?

That is exactly what i was thinking.

What's he going to do, stroll into pre season thinking he's cool after missing out on AFL selection and playing WAFL all these years?

Ainsworth has played more AFL than he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back