Traded Brad Hill [traded with future 3rd to St Kilda for Acres, #10, #58, future 2nd and 4th]

Who won this trade?

• Fremantle

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

good by saints

I still dont get why Hill is worth pick 6 plus more. He is an outside runner.

Because hes not just an outside runner.

He runs hard too every contest and links play for us.

Numerous goals we kicked are a direct result of Hill receiving the ball at D50- Hit up target-run to next contest- receive ball- run- hit i50 kick- goal

Those players dont grow on trees. A inside midfielder does.

No team wants to get rid of players like Hill (especially when he has 2 years left on his contract as well as his importance to us).

Mate I don’t want to get into a the usual s**t fight between Freo and Saints supporters.

For once in my life I have faith in the Saints admin that they will do the best for St Kilda. I just cannot see us losing picks 12,18 and Bruce for Hill and pick 26 which will probably end up 30 odd.

Peter Bell may want overs and honestly good on him for trying to extract value for his club, absolutely have no issue with how Freo are behaving in this at all. Hill is contracted for another 2 years so he can wait in Perth or if he wants to come to Victoria so badly he can try with the other 9 clubs (assuming this isn’t a dick waving contest).

Hill is a very good player but hardly one you have to break the bank for
Not trying to get into a shitfight, but Bell isnt coming out asking for what he did to then not get overs for Hill. I just think if you want him, you will have to pay overs. I dont think you plan on being in this draft at all before 40 odd unless you trade another player on top of Bruce/Steven.

It is very difficult to bring in 4 players - two of which have long contracts when you have pick 6 to work with.

Would you be unhappy with a net trade season of;

Out: 6, Bruce, Steven, Future 2nd
In: Hill, Howard, Ryder, Jones

I would be happy with that outcome. I'd rather not cough up our future 2nd though if at all possible but wouldn't complain too much.
I think its sometimes hard to step back and look at the big picture as trades unfold, but that's what clubs work towards. You take a loss here and there but its the net outcome that matters

You look at what is likely the three goals of Dogs, Saints and Freo.

Dogs want to move picks to next year, keep a midrang pick this year and bring in Keith and Bruce

Saints want to address their areas of need while keeping their first next year for Bing. They have identified Steven needs to go and they have too many tall forwards

Freo likely want to get as many picks ahead of a Henry bid as possible while keeping points for him.

They'll work something out and the net result will work out for all involved

lol why do you think that?

ask anyone who follows the draft. next year is compromised as all hell.
Yes I know there’s a lot of NGA but that doesn’t mean there’s still good players about , plus also means most clubs will already have their hands tied with regards to being obligated (mostly) to their NGA kids.

Next year wa has odriscoll, Grainger barrass and Logan McDonald already at this stage

I think its sometimes hard to step back and look at the big picture as trades unfold, but that's what clubs work towards. You take a loss here and there but its the net outcome that matters

You look at what is likely the three goals of Dogs, Saints and Freo.

Dogs want to move picks to next year, keep a midrang pick this year and bring in Keith and Bruce

Saints want to address their areas of need while keeping their first next year for Bing. They have identified Steven needs to go and they have too many tall forwards

Freo likely want to get as many picks ahead of a Henry bid as possible while keeping points for him

They'll work something out and the net result will work out for all involved

I do wonder how much of the Saints management right now is thinking ahead towards a Ben King trade. Splitting 6 makes perfect sense if that is their goal. Hedging their bets that they can make 12 + something work out for Hill to address our short-term midfield issues plus having 18 in the pocket as part of the hail mary offer for Bing.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if our pick 18 turns into a couple of decent future picks.

I do wonder how much of the Saints management right now is thinking ahead towards a Ben King trade. Splitting 6 makes perfect sense if that is their goal. Hedging their bets that they can make 12 + something work out for Hill to address our short-term midfield issues plus having 18 in the pocket as part of the hail mary offer for Bing.
I reckon Bing is 100% front of mind, he's not someone you gamble missing out on.

I actually thought something you guys could do once all your trades are done is see if Geelong want to shift 24 or 17 in part to next year and see how much they rate themselves

Do something simlair to Adeliade/Carlton and swap futures while getting 24 or 17 back to take to the draft this year

Their would be an understanding with Freo that we probably dont see too much of a difference between 6 and 12 as long more comes with it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So assuming that Tom Morris is correct (big assumption),
Saints will have to forget about getting Hill, or offer more than 6 and a future second.

2 mid first round picks plus more - eg Acres, future second.
Think we are just putting this deal on the back burner now. Fair chance it doesn't happen.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Hill now as his mrs has already moved back apparently.

Of course Bell will demand that.

We have another week to break Freo over this.

He doesn't want to play for your club anymore, why would you keep him?

What if the club is confident Hill can follow in Kelly's example and play on another year without issue? Hill may want to move for personal reasons but he's already home.

He will still be on a years contract during the next trade period and he could be a big help to get new coach Longmuir off to a good start.

IF Hill is willing to play on it could easily be the better move and so far there has been no credible info on how Hill would feel about that.

Back