Players who’ve say played 7+ games for their team during season should get medal if team wins GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Takes a whole year to win a premiership and a whole team.

It's not won on grand final day alone.
You don't win enough games through the year you don't finish in finals
You don't win finals you don't make the grand final

It's not too hard to comprehend but your selfish brain explodes at the thought that the grand final team is winning it for the whole club not 22 players.

So why only the players? Not assistant coaches, medical staff, front office, water boys, mascot, players partners, players families, major sponsors etc. All play major roles in the club winning the premiership. Or is your selfish brain only thinking of the players and not the whole club?

Too hard to comprehend why it's only the 22 and coach who rightfully deserve the medal?

Other players can get a participation award and a McDonald's voucher to ease yours and others pain. Anyone else involved in the club gets nothing as according to you only players deserve a medallion

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
So why only the players? Not assistant coaches, medical staff, front office, water boys, mascot, players partners, players families, major sponsors etc. All play major roles in the club winning the premiership. Or is your selfish brain only thinking of the players and not the whole club?

Too hard to comprehend why it's only the 22 and coach who rightfully deserve the medal?

Other players can get a participation award and a McDonald's voucher to ease yours and others pain. Anyone else involved in the club gets nothing as according to you only players deserve a medallion

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

You don't go full * man. Everyone knows that

Tap Tap Tapperoo

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
I get the idea, but ultimately it’s too hard to find a sweet spot where only deserving players get a medal. Just leave it as the exclusive club of those that play in the GF.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You can see the obvious issue in this thread with all the different suggestions on what is a 'meaningful' contribution.

Some want players who played in the finals to get a medal. Some want players who played half the season. Some want players who played 7 games, some 6.

No one can agree on the cut off. Yet so many people believe their idea of meaningful contribution is the best one.

Here's an idea - there's a very very obvious objective cut off that decides whether you get an official premiership medal....whether or not you play in the winning side on grand final day. It's the easiest cut off. It's not about the StAtuS qUo, it's about having an easy cut off so you don't end up giving medals to the husband of Peggy O'Neal.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Nothing stopping clubs from acknowledging all the contributions.

You state what you think deserves a medal and then argue why you disagree with every other cut off and you'll realise why you're talking out your arse. Easier to have 1 obvious objective cut off rather than be like oh but 7 games and a final is the best cut off!!

mikeythemoocow

Cancelled
Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Mar 17, 2005
Nakatomi Plaza
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Aussie Ahmed
You can see the obvious issue in this thread with all the different suggestions on what is a 'meaningful' contribution.

Some want players who played in the finals to get a medal. Some want players who played half the season. Some want players who played 7 games, some 6.

No one can agree on the cut off. Yet so many people believe their idea of meaningful contribution is the best one.

Here's an idea - there's a very very obvious objective cut off that decides whether you get an official premiership medal....whether or not you play in the winning side on grand final day. It's the easiest cut off. It's not about the StAtuS qUo, it's about having an easy cut off so you don't end up giving medals to the husband of Peggy O'Neal.

Some players that played for the winning team hardly deserve a medal. Pretty sure Mooney is fairly ambivalent about his medal from North.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
Marlion Pickett will get a premiership metal today.

Jack Graham will not.

The type of people who still argue for this are the type who just hate change no matter what. It's a stupid tradition. I can't think of many other sports that do it.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Marlion Pickett will get a premiership metal today.

Jack Graham will not.

The type of people who still argue for this are the type who just hate change no matter what. It's a stupid tradition. I can't think of many other sports that do it.

Who actually wants a medal for a premiership they didn't play in? I wouldn't. When my cricket team sacked me for the grand final I went along and watched and I hoped they would lose. And they did.

longsuffreosupp

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2002
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Probably the best alternatives would be

- those who have played in a finals game get a medal, since they played in a game of the finals series.

or

- those in the squad of 25 (team and emergencies). Then you can sneak a Bob Murphy/Callan Ward/hard luck story as your 25th player in squad.

bafl

Rookie
Aug 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs
I think getting an invite to the premiership reunions would be much more important to players than a medal. That would be more for the club/team to figure out than for the AFL to set rules.

Does anyone know examples of players not in the 22 going to their teams’ reunions? For my club, I imagine Bob Murphy would get an invite but I’m not sure if that would be a first. What about Modra, Dunstall and the others mentioned in this thread?

Hearing the way they speak about ‘connection’ and their supportive culture and seeing the genuine excitement of the players who missed at the final siren yesterday suggests that maybe Richmond is the type of club that might even invite the whole list.

Edit: typo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
And this is why society and the younger generation particularly are what they are. Everyone's a winner...until youre not, then you have "mental illness" and everyone has to mollycoddle you and accept your excuses anyway

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
We’re probably overestimating the worth of the physical medals to players. You hear stories of blokes losing them, accidentally throwing them out, selling them, or generally disregarding them - “Oh, it’s in a drawer somewhere. Not sure”. And that’s the guys who earned them. The actual medal itself is possibly low on the level of importance when it comes to remembering and honouring achievements.

If the club wants to honour players who didn’t play that’s up to them. Otherwise, it’s not necessary. As for the losers getting a medal, that’s totally pointless. “Here you go - a shiny medal to remember the most miserable day of your football career.”
While the achievement is important in itself, I think who the medals are awarded to guides this to a large extent. For example, while the physical Olympic medal is probably not that important to those who win them, 4th place finishers are much less satisfied than bronze medalists. If instead it was the convention to award 4 medals, the giving of the extra medal would guide how people thought about the achievement.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't see why the club couldn't produce their own medals to hand out.

I don't mind the idea, if a player played all matches then got injured in the PF then they deserve something.

Any other medal probably wouldn't have as much meaning to it unless you played on the ground though. Maybe that's just me.

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
Yeah I understand your point. The premiership is about the entire season, not just the game itself. I felt NN, Gaff, Shep were at least almost as deserving of a premiership medal. I wouldn't mind it if they did get a medal, they played a role, but I wouldn't necessarily say I'm a strong advocate. You can make reasons for or against.

NFL for example gives a ring to all players that took the field that season , however the ring for the players that took the field in the Superbowl are different from the ones that did not take the field. Acknowledging that it takes a full squad efford to get to the big show is cool, but the players who actually took the field will still have something that the rest don't. I think the AFL could adopt the premiership medal that way and still maintain the game day medal and the presentations on the field stay as is.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't see why the club couldn't produce their own medals to hand out.

I don't mind the idea, if a player played all matches then got injured in the PF then they deserve something.

Any other medal probably wouldn't have as much meaning to it unless you played on the ground though. Maybe that's just me.

Yeah no problem if the club wants to organise something at presentation night or whatever to recognise the unlucky players' contribution, but GF day is for the ones who put the jumper on for the day.

GoldStandard

Senior List
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think it makes much difference. In the NFL a couple of years ago the Philadelphia Eagles' starting Quarterback Carson Wentz missed the Super Bowl, still received a ring but it still had that Bob Murphy feeling about it.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
You could mount an argument for either, however I like to think a premiership medal is for a player who competed on the day. Perhaps a secondary medal could be awarded to players who played at least one game that winning season, and hopefully in time said medal would be worth a bit, however not worth as much as a premiership medallion.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
NFL for example gives a ring to all players that took the field that season , however the ring for the players that took the field in the Superbowl are different from the ones that did not take the field. Acknowledging that it takes a full squad efford to get to the big show is cool, but the players who actually took the field will still have something that the rest don't. I think the AFL could adopt the premiership medal that way and still maintain the game day medal and the presentations on the field stay as is.

Yeah good idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back