Stkilda Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see saints doing some shifting and landing targets.

Only concern is that their doing another Port, loading up on players. They have no mid A graders which could hurt them

Hopefully I'm wrong, but they need more mids. If they lose Bruce and Steven, they're new recruits don't even replace them

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It is great to see the club step outside of the draft high picks and trade for moneyball. Almost an entire new team in the footy dept this year so have to make up for a poor last few years. They're not A graders (possibly Hill aside), but they don't need to be, they're an upgrade on what we have, they offer something we lack and will alter the dynamic of our side.

Lethlean cops a heap of crap but he hasn't made a wrong move yet, has transformed our club greatly over the last 12-18 months.
Not sure where we get the A grade mids from, can't attract the current ones and the draft this year the best mids are gone or its just calculated guessing in 18yo's and next years is so compromised already, its not through the lack of trying ala the Dogs/Freo for fwds in Days gone by.

As for Bruce and Steven, Bruce will hurt next year, but doubtful beyond that if Ming(&Bing) come on as expected.
Steven is our best mid, but he barely played this year, a fit Hannebery, Hill, Jones, a year under Greshams belt in the midfield. I think we can cover his output but possibly not his brilliance.

Doesn't help when their best forward in Bruce is leaving. That's a big hole to fill, won't be replaced with the players they are bringing in.

This is the one thing that baffles me Rod. I actually like who they are chasing, the targets make sense. But take away Bruce, you're left with Membrey? Or with Ryder in does Marchall Ryder swap fwd? Not the answer. Reckon letting him go isn't geat.
Honestly what are they doing wrong? I mean they’re doing everything right by the look of it. Personally as a Melbourne supporter I am absolutely livid we aren’t throwing an offer to good to refuse to Butler and Hill. It’s down to St Kilda or Carlton for Butler and they’ve secured Hill who at 26 has plenty of elite footy left, instead we picked up ‘jack of all trades master of none’ Tomlinson.

They’ve also got another speedy midfielder in Zak Jones.
Butler would be great for Dees. I'm surprised they didn't at least ask. Not sure on Jones though. Can be a butcher and I don't think Saints need more average ball use.
Putting the $hitfight aside between Carlton and saints supporters like two homeless people fighting for a sandwich, this is a good sign for Ratts that there are players nominating the saints as their preferred club
Good point. To have people willing to move there is a great starting point. Something has changed for the better there. And the coach is a great appointment.

This is the one thing that baffles me Rod. I actually like who they are chasing, the targets make sense. But take away Bruce, you're left with Membrey? Or with Ryder in does Marchall Ryder swap fwd? Not the answer. Reckon letting him go isn't geat.
Ryder hasn't shown he can play as a reliable resting forward.

Would be piss funny if they decide to play Howard forward because they don't have anyone else.
When he wants out in 12 months he can join us for a late fourth rounder.

Ryder hasn't shown he can play as a reliable resting forward.

Would be piss funny if they decide to play Howard forward because they don't have anyone else.
When he wants out in 12 months he can join us for a late fourth rounder.
if he doesn't want to go there this year why would he a year later, rejection's a hard thing to deal with but I thought you guys would be used to it now.

back to topic,
If we needed to send a Backman forward it'd be Battle not Howard.
Saints get Ryder, Essendon can't get any ruckman, Mummy resigns at GWS, where are the options? at least Ryder was AA in 2017.
Marshall has had Same Rowe to practice with all year, Longer and Peirce both retire due to concussion issues, apart from Marshall we have a CatB rookie who are labelled "Ruckmen" and even then Marshall was a Fwd. Its not ideal, but at least we now have 2 competent ruckman on the list, "incase"
plenty of other sides have 2 rucks that aren't very good forwards or a Fwd that isn't a very good Ruckman, we had Bruce. It's a decision that hard to fault

The list needs a lot of work, particularly in the centre square. Even the most optimistic Saints supporter would say the same. But at least they seem committed to change, because as I agree with other posters, the list was going nowhere. The trades still have to go through, which in itself will be a challenge, but I can't fault their commitment to revitalise the playing group.

O understand you’re anger but surely Essendon or Melbourne is the new Richmond ??? Just saying .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
WTF does this mean? You’ve got no brains mate.

How can we be the new Richmond? We’ve been the benchmark low achiever from 1965 to 2019! The question should be; who is the new Melbourne?

;)

I think we should be fine without dipping into next year's draft.

6 for Hill
Stevens pick for Jones
Bruce pick for Howard
50 odd for Ryder

Will be some later pick swaps with the above youd imagine. Confident we will get everything done without having to use next year's pick so we can have a crack at King or Whitfield etc.

Bruce leaving will be a short term loss, however I rate Battle a better forward than as a defender so it will be interesting to see were we play him.

Geary Howard Webster
Wilkie Carlisle Clark
Hill Steele Jones
Gresham Ryder Billings
Membrey King Parker
Marshall Ross Hannebury

Battle Dunstan Savage Long Lonie Sinclair Newnes etc

Not the greatest list going around, but the 4 players will improve what we had this year. As bad as we went this year by sacking the coach and not having Hannebury/Carlisle/Geary/Webster/Steven for most of the year, we missed the finals by 2 wins.

We need A grade mids to help us take the next step, but Gresham/Billings/Clark/Steele are all 24 and under and still have a long way to go before they hit their peak.

so you should but you took it personal i was asking opinions more thinking it wasn't really the right time for doing what they are. others may think otherwise.

Why isn't it the right time?

Hill, Jones and Howard are all young and can potentially play many years. Apart from Ryder, they are all picks for both the short-term and long-term, and for example will all play many years with our young core of players under 26 including Marshall, Billings, Membrey, Clark, Coffield, Gresham, Battle, Wilkie, Bytel and Max King.

All the players who have nominated St Kilda address known needs. By trading this way we get exactly what we need. If we just went to the draft (I assume this is your alternative) the best available pick at each selection would most unlikely to be what we most need to complement what we already have.

Hill is clearly a quality wingman. He will make players like Steele, Ross and Dunstan more effective.
Jones not as good, but whose pace and run fills a need. Plus at St Kilda is likely to play more midfield time.
Howard is a capable FB to replace the aging Brown

Ignore Ryder, who while 31 will be a cheap trade acquisition for a team which currently only has ONE ruckman on its main list (the other two have just both retired due to concussion. The Saints will also pick up another younger than Ryder ruck as a rookie or as a late pick.

I think someone might just be salty that the Blues may not go past StKilda next year afterall.

yeah.... im sorry did you achieve something? still have one flag and over 20 spoons

Hill was kept to nearly 0 impact by Lachie Obrien last year.

Jones is a b grader contested player but the Ryder is fair. Marshall is gonna be a jet
Cripps was kept to 11 disposals with no impact vs Essendon player I don’t know in 2019 he must be s**t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is great to see the club step outside of the draft high picks and trade for moneyball. Almost an entire new team in the footy dept this year so have to make up for a poor last few years. They're not A graders (possibly Hill aside), but they don't need to be, they're an upgrade on what we have, they offer something we lack and will alter the dynamic of our side.

i like the strategy but i'm not sure about some of the players. Clean House, improve the list across the board not just one big fish.

Think Howard and Hill are what is needed, not sure Ryder is the answer as you'll be looking to replace him next year. Jones i'm lukewarm on.

i like the strategy but i'm not sure about some of the players. Clean House, improve the list across the board not just one big fish.

Think Howard and Hill are what is needed, not sure Ryder is the answer as you'll be looking to replace him next year. Jones i'm lukewarm on.
Ryder is a stop gap as we will trade Bruce to the dogs. Next year we will be going hard for B.King who at the moment is looking more like going than staying.

WTF does this mean? You’ve got no brains mate.

How can we be the new Richmond? We’ve been the benchmark low achiever from 1965 to 2019! The question should be; who is the new Melbourne?

;)
Sorry mate just saying the Dees and Dons propensity to let their supporters down by (for e.g.) loosing the unlosable' or having some really good talent ( i.e. good list) and then not taking advantage. I feel ( and its only joining dots ) that Essendon are in turmoil , much the same as Richmond was for varying period , all due to the club not being the happiest place. I really liked the Dees late season charge in 2018, ominous and exciting , bit then they did the old Richmond thing !! I think now the Tigers have matured (??) a stack and the old eating our own and overacting is a thing of the past. Thank the Lord !! ( or thank Benny Gale !!).
No offence intended.

Kinda like what the Saints are doing. Didn’t have any draft currency but they’ll start 2020 infinitely better than they did this year.

Can they build to a flag? I dunno but right now you’d be happy as a Saints fan.
agree! reckon they're on the right track. having gubby allan is a plus. knows where the bodies are buried. buried many of them.

This business with Brad Hill is curious. I wonder if Freo will have disgruntled bloke playing out his contract for a couple of years?

Sorry mate just saying the Dees and Dons propensity to let their supporters down by (for e.g.) loosing the unlosable' or having some really good talent ( i.e. good list) and then not taking advantage. I feel ( and its only joining dots ) that Essendon are in turmoil , much the same as Richmond was for varying period , all due to the club not being the happiest place. I really liked the Dees late season charge in 2018, ominous and exciting , bit then they did the old Richmond thing !! I think now the Tigers have matured (??) a stack and the old eating our own and overacting is a thing of the past. Thank the Lord !! ( or thank Benny Gale !!).
No offence intended.
Mate, I was agreeing with you! You might want to read again!

Melbourne are rubbish!

This business with Brad Hill is curious. I wonder if Freo will have disgruntled bloke playing out his contract for a couple of years?

Doubtful. Players generally make it to the clubs they request. Might be some bad blood between the clubs though.

Think Hill is a good pick up for you guys. Not sure about the rest of the stuff you are trying. Dougal Howard could be a good get at the right price.

Please. An overweight Jack Steven that doesn't wanna be there isn't going to be the difference between you making the finals next year or not.
Ignorant comment. Jack doesn’t not want to be at St.kilda, itd just be easier for him to move to Geelong to see family etc He loves the Saints.

Also he will be training and completing pre- season, just like every other AFL player, and a fit Jack Steven will definitely help push for finals, even an unfit one can pill Brownlow votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back