Which premiership team had the most dominant finals series (criteria AFL era)

Remove this Banner Ad

Each of the prelim teams, besides Richmond, were quite weak. All were destroyed by a pretty ordinary Hawthorn (other than Richmond) during the H and A season.

Richmond were by far the best team but it was a bit like buying the best house in a bad suburb. Same as 2017.

WC in 2018 were a champion team by comparison. Their fight against Collingwood in the GF with so many injuries is the mark of a great team. WC losing Rioli this year and losing to Hawthorn probably robbed us of watching a far better finals series

Richmond need to be challenged before I start giving them best finals credentials
Yes Im of the same opinion of the 13-15 winning premiers. All against s**t interstate teams. Where of course west coast beating perennial chokers in Collingwood last year is the best flag ever:drunk:

Basically because thats how I started the thread I understand the concern but I was looking for teams that by 3/4 time the supporters were relaxing with a beer knowing they were through to the next leg, Geelong in 2011 fir the bill 07 although a massive win in two of the three games had that 5 poinyt win that went down to the wire.

I wouldn't worry too much it was late Saturday and Id been drinking so the idea and the thread has many flaws.

You are going to have to strike Richmond 2019 from your list I'm afraid, they were a mere 4 points up at 3QT in the prelim.

Also, I'm nominating Hawthorn 2014. We may have only won the prelim by less than a goal, but we were 23 points up at 3QT, so a supporter could have been forgiven for relaxing with a beer. We also smashed the 3rd and 1st placed teams on the way to that flag.

Each of the prelim teams, besides Richmond, were quite weak. All were destroyed by a pretty ordinary Hawthorn (other than Richmond) during the H and A season.

Richmond were by far the best team but it was a bit like buying the best house in a bad suburb. Same as 2017.

WC in 2018 were a champion team by comparison. Their fight against Collingwood in the GF with so many injuries is the mark of a great team. WC losing Rioli this year and losing to Hawthorn probably robbed us of watching a far better finals series

Richmond need to be challenged before I start giving them best finals credentials

2018 was a couple of average teams playing off in grand final which made it close but the standard was poor. Both of them in the next year were both basically fighting for 4th and 5th on the ladder. One couldn’t beat Hawthorn at home when it mattered and the other couldn’t beat GWS at home when it mattered.

Last edited:
Any victory over Collingwood in a final just can't count. They like to take their clothes off but get all frigid when you touch and hold them close.

RFC 2017 was as a consistent bulldozing of all oppo imaginable, each game showing the same pattern, pressure, more pressure, complete collapse, hammering.

They also ruined reputations along the way: Selwood and Paddyfield, SJohnson and the Giant forward line, and the whole of the city of Adelaide excluding Port Adelaide of course, who are still celebrating.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Alrighty folks here it is. Started in 2000 and based rankings off percentage (because winning by 100 points (101-1) is more impressive than winning 150-50. Not surprisingly the 2007 cats and then the 2000 bombers top the list, but there's some interesting tidbits after. Also unsurprisingly, Sydney under Paul Roos/Longmire played some truly ghastly football.

Ranking
Team
Year
%
1​
GEEL​
2007​
227​
2​
ESS​
2000​
201​
3​
RICH​
2019​
199​
4​
RICH​
2017​
181​
5​
BRIS​
2002​
171​
6​
BRIS​
2001​
161​
7​
COLL​
2010​
161​
8​
HAW​
2008​
157​
9​
GEEL​
2011​
154​
10​
GEEL​
2009​
150​
11​
PORT​
2004​
145​
12​
WCE​
2018​
144​
13​
HAW​
2014​
143​
14​
BRIS​
2003​
142​
15​
HAW​
2015​
140​
16​
HAW​
2013​
135​
17​
WB​
2016​
134​
18​
SYD​
2012​
134​
19​
WCE​
2006​
130​
20​
SYD​
2005​
114​

Have to say this Richmond team are ******* phenomenal. 12 Straight wins, pulverising Brisbane in Brisbane in Week 1 and playing one of the most cohesive and best halves against us overcoming a deficit in the Prelim. They were under the pump at half time against the Catters. Put on one of the best Grand Final performances I've witnessed in their demolition of the Giants who were in great form.

Most dominant team in the finals for me behind us in 2011. in 2011 were pretty brilliant it must be said coming up against great opposition in Hawthorn, West Coast and Collingwood. I believe our opponents were better than Richmond's, although the Tige's were flawless minus that 1st half against us. Even more credit to them though for showing such strong resolve in a game of high magnitude against a durable opponent.

Have to say this Richmond team are ******* phenomenal. 12 Straight wins, pulverising Brisbane in Brisbane in Week 1 and playing one of the most cohesive and best halves against us overcoming a deficit in the Prelim. They were under the pump at half time against the Catters. Put on one of the best Grand Final performances I've witnessed in their demolition of the Giants who were in great form.

Most dominant team in the finals for me behind us in 2011. in 2011 were pretty brilliant it must be said coming up against great opposition in Hawthorn, West Coast and Collingwood. I believe our opponents were better than Richmond's, although the Tige's were flawless minus that 1st half against us. Even more credit to them though for showing such strong resolve in a game of high magnitude against a durable opponent.
I watched the Richmond v Geelong prelim the other night again a cracker game at half time Bruce said history tells you this is a match winning prelim margin.

I could not believe how much fight we had to come back, It would have been curtains for most other teams in history we were so good at absorbing teams best punches this year, against West Coast late in the year all over us at half time.

I watched the Richmond v Geelong prelim the other night again a cracker game at half time Bruce said history tells you this is a match winning prelim margin.

I could not believe how much fight we had to come back, It would have been curtains for most other teams in history we were so good at absorbing teams best punches this year, against West Coast late in the year all over us at half time.
Indeed.

I must admit I believed you guys would come back. I quoted that in the game day thread making reference to the Pies-Hawks 2011 Prelim. Eagles also came back against the Crows where the half time margins were almost identical back in 2006, at Football Park. Very, very hard to get back from that spot though. You guys were flawless in that famous 2nd half and yep what about that West Coast game? 5 goals down early but what a vintage performance from then on in the wet. Famous stuff. Dusty, * what a champion of the game.

If you lost to West Coast top 4 gone and they go on to win the flag imo. Season, Premiership defining game that one. And that was an all time classic.

Marvellous stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back