Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly there are some posters who follow a different code that somehow manage to deny Origin, preferring to compare GFs to get a managed victory for their sport of choice.
We all should know that without Origin the NRL media rights would be nothing to get excited about.

To be fair, this is a heavily AFL based forum. And having folks tell them stuff they already know but really dont care about - repeatedly - will be interpreted by some as trolling.

The other thing that folks fail to mention in this discussion is that of the top rating AFL/NRL matches this year, while the AFL only has 2 in the top 5, they had 17 games this season cross the million audience mark during the season and another 9 during finals. The NRL had 2 during the season and 5 during the finals.

Its also worth noting that in almost every instance where a stand alone AFL game was up against a stand alone NRL game, the NRL lost.

The general consensus seems to be the A-League are in for a tough year, well some are looking to get excited:

Western United
With the arrival of Western Sydney Wanderers in 2012-13, the infant A-League noticeably lifted.

Western United stand to be a second Wanderers – a club connected to its community, bringing a new edge to Melbourne derbies and an injection of oxygen and optimism to the league.

Big on optimism.

How exactly are WU connected to their community. They wont be playing there thats for sure. Wanderers had a perfect storm of marketing, location and playing facilities in their locale.

How exactly are WU connected to their community. They wont be playing there thats for sure. Wanderers had a perfect storm of marketing, location and playing facilities in their locale.
Fact western Sydney is soccer heartland had the biggest impact for wanderers.

To be fair, this is a heavily AFL based forum. And having folks tell them stuff they already know but really dont care about - repeatedly - will be interpreted by some as trolling.

The other thing that folks fail to mention in this discussion is that of the top rating AFL/NRL matches this year, while the AFL only has 2 in the top 5, they had 17 games this season cross the million audience mark during the season and another 9 during finals. The NRL had 2 during the season and 5 during the finals.

Its also worth noting that in almost every instance where a stand alone AFL game was up against a stand alone NRL game, the NRL lost.
How do the respective codes go in the most lucrative market of Sydney?

The Wanderers replaced Gold Coast United when they came in, who in their last days were getting about 2,500 to their home games.
It meant an immediate improvement in average attendances.
This will NOT happen with Western United.
Dandenong & Sutherland both with strong soccer ties would have been closer to wanderers. Western Melbourne was just a bad bid.

All fair comparisons & relevant across the codes in a thread that is titled non AFL etc.

Trolling is in the eye of the beholder.

How do the respective codes go in the most lucrative market of Sydney?

NRL - Competition that draws the most revenue overall; most aggregate attendances overall; highest TV ratings - NRL

AFL - Competition with the biggest club; highest average attendances; 2nd highest aggregate attendances; 2nd highest ratings; highest average memberships

A League - nil

The Wanderers replaced Gold Coast United when they came in, who in their last days were getting about 2,500 to their home games.
It meant an immediate improvement in average attendances.
This will NOT happen with Western United.

Will the new stadium see a resurgent WSW following?

Well said. I cannot remember anyone that has ever denied that RL generally gets 4 of the 5 top ratings shows with SoO and the GF. The point is that, even with state of origin, it always ends up with multiple $10s of millions less than the AFL

Interesting but not surprising tbh that 4 NRL finals failed to do what 17 AFL home and away games achieved throughout the season - i.e. getting over 1 million viewers in total (despite the games going for one hour less)

SoO is great for rugby league but there is a reason that it still gets several $10s of million less each year even with SoO

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said. I cannot remember anyone that has ever denied that RL generally gets 4 of the 5 top ratings shows with SoO and the GF. The point is that, even with state of origin, it always ends up with multiple $10s of millions less than the AFL

Interesting but not surprising tbh that 4 NRL finals failed to do what 17 AFL home and away games achieved throughout the season - i.e. getting over 1 million viewers in total (despite the games going for one hour less)

SoO is great for rugby league but there is a reason that it still gets several $10s of million less each year even with SoO

Add to that the gulf in sponsorship revenue. It's a massive gulf. Such a massive gulf does not exist merely because of luck or old school ties.

Add to that the gulf in sponsorship revenue. It's a massive gulf. Such a massive gulf does not exist merely because of luck or old school ties.

Of course its the TV ratings & the bums on seats that drive sponsorship dollars.

My point has always been those seeking to pump up AFL footy on a Non AFL thread very much cherry pick to achieve it, aka the cheerleaders.
Reality is the GF is top of tree for AFL footy, its not for League/fans, perhaps IF genuinely seeking to compare codes ...

Of course its the TV ratings & the bums on seats that drive sponsorship dollars.

My point has always been those seeking to pump up AFL footy on a Non AFL thread very much cherry pick to achieve it, aka the cheerleaders. ...
First - This is on the 'Footy Industry' sub-forum, an 'AFL' sub-forum, which in turn is a sub-forum of the 'Australian Football' forum. Therefore, it's quite incorrect to consider this as simply a "Non AFL thread". I regard all threads on the AFL sub-forums as either being about or having relevancy to the AFL. Hence comparisons here to the AFL is a major essence of why this thread exists.

Second - Labelling all supporters of Australian Football on this Australian Football sub-forum as "cheerleaders" is frankly childish and detracts from the points you want to make.

Third - Comparing respectively the AFL and NRL finals and Grand Final crowds and TV ratings isn't 'cheering picking'. They are perfectly legitimate comparisons - oranges to oranges if you like.
Reality is the GF is top of tree for AFL footy, its not for League/fans, perhaps IF genuinely seeking to compare codes ...
Reality is that SoO picks up loads of casual or otherwise dis-interested fans who otherwise have little interest in the NRL. However, their genuine dyed-in-the-wool fans who follow it weekly still absolutely regard their GF as the top of the tree.

Reality is that the NRL is not nearly as popular in Sydney (especially in the affluent Northern and Eastern suburbs) as the AFL in Melbourne. I spend about a third of my time in Sydney (admittingly a CBD office, so not representative of all of Sydney) and hear more talk about rugby union and Swans than the NRL.

The annual RL Koori Knockout is occuring on the NSW Central Coast.
Always attracts big crowds of Aboriginals, watching & playing GR RL- c. 30,000 this year, very impressive.

Aboriginal youth girls' RL teams have commenced this year- another element of the strong female GR RL growth occuring. This growth will curtail GR AF female growth.

The annual RL Koori Knockout is occuring on the NSW Central Coast.
Always attracts big crowds of Aboriginals, watching & playing GR RL- c. 30,000 this year, very impressive.

Aboriginal youth girls' RL teams have commenced this year- another element of the strong female GR RL growth occuring. This growth will curtail GR AF female growth.

It is brilliant and I wish the AFL tried to replicate it

First - This is on the 'Footy Industry' sub-forum, an 'AFL' sub-forum, which in turn is a sub-forum of the 'Australian Football' forum. Therefore, it's quite incorrect to consider this as simply a "Non AFL thread". I regard all threads on the AFL sub-forums as either being about or having relevancy to the AFL. Hence comparisons here to the AFL is a major essence of why this thread exists.

Second - Labelling all supporters of Australian Football on this Australian Football sub-forum as "cheerleaders" is frankly childish and detracts from the points you want to make.

Third - Comparing respectively the AFL and NRL finals and Grand Final crowds and TV ratings isn't 'cheering picking'. They are perfectly legitimate comparisons - oranges to oranges if you like.
Reality is that SoO picks up loads of casual or otherwise dis-interested fans who otherwise have little interest in the NRL. However, their genuine dyed-in-the-wool fans who follow it weekly still absolutely regard their GF as the top of the tree.

Reality is that the NRL is not nearly as popular in Sydney (especially in the affluent Northern and Eastern suburbs) as the AFL in Melbourne. I spend about a third of my time in Sydney (admittingly a CBD office, so not representative of all of Sydney) and hear more talk about rugby union and Swans than the NRL.

Fair enough thats your take. I'm not about to turn it into you said, I said, not that I accept your characterisation of my views nor the suggestion of what is right or wrong.

Those who I regard as cheerleaders are 3 or 4 regulars & you are not one. They are more active in the soccer space, wanting to compare soccer locally with AFL footy at the highest level with the A-League to put down soccer. You may see that as appropriate. I find it disingenuous.
Having spent a lot of time in Sydney including living there (Northern Beaches), 12 months in a CBD office tower and even longer in the field, the way NSW sports fans is certainly very different to particularly Vic. Suffice to say footy in NSW is League.
Union certainly has its own following, working with a Wallaby of the day (late 80s) was educational to say the least.

Last edited:
The China issue has reared its head recently. For those not keeping up to date,

Essentially, an NBA Houston Rocket GM tweeted his support for HK and China censors don't like that and have tried to censor the NBA, which other people don't like and boom. More detail in the article. The NBA isn't the only own goal by China censors this week. #Blizzardboycott has been trending on twitter, in relation to E-sports player who shared similar sentiments and was banned for a year. Raises the question of how close should you get to China. The morals of accepting money and then being forced to be silent. Of course, Port have that China game(and $6 million in revenue) but it has got much broader issues than that. I am sure people can find money from Chinese companies in all our major sports. It is also a much bigger issue overseas, as we have seen in the NBA. The WTA, for example, has huge revenues from China, probably the most % of revenue from a major sports organisation. If a player tweeted on Hong Kong, I wonder what would happen.....I shudder to think.

I, personally, don't really fear or dislike China(outside the 3 T's and the U) but I am not happy that players/fans are being forced to censure themselves in our own country. My line is there.

This is a touchy subject, as it draws politics into sport and that is something I do dislike and try to avoid. But I just hope the AFL/NRL etc do not compromise its own governing edicts over the Chinese goldmine. As South Park put it "anybody who would betray their ideals just to make money in China isn't worth a lick of spit"

The China issue has reared its head recently. For those not keeping up to date,

Essentially, an NBA Houston Rocket GM tweeted his support for HK and China censors don't like that and have tried to censor the NBA, which other people don't like and boom. More detail in the article. The NBA isn't the only own goal by China censors this week. #Blizzardboycott has been trending on twitter, in relation to E-sports player who shared similar sentiments and was banned for a year. Raises the question of how close should you get to China. The morals of accepting money and then being forced to be silent. Of course, Port have that China game(and $6 million in revenue) but it has got much broader issues than that. I am sure people can find money from Chinese companies in all our major sports. It is also a much bigger issue overseas, as we have seen in the NBA. The WTA, for example, has huge revenues from China, probably the most % of revenue from a major sports organisation. If a player tweeted on Hong Kong, I wonder what would happen.....I shudder to think.

I, personally, don't really fear or dislike China(outside the 3 T's and the U) but I am not happy that players/fans are being forced to censure themselves in our own country. My line is there.

This is a touchy subject, as it draws politics into sport and that is something I do dislike and try to avoid. But I just hope the AFL/NRL etc do not compromise its own governing edicts over the Chinese goldmine. As South Park put it "anybody who would betray their ideals just to make money in China isn't worth a lick of spit"
This is what I can’t understand about the NBA. They are always going to be the biggest league so it seems like they are just making extra money for the sake of it.
How a competition that has no real competitors in the sport are worried about 10% of revenue (possibly 20% in the future) from a country trying to dictate to you I’ll never know. They have a soft salary cap of $110mil yet they still want more. More money doesn’t make that league or competition any better, it just seems crazy. Pure greed.
Soccer I can understand as their are plenty of big leagues who offer competition to each other, hence why the A-League is in such a s**t spot.

Why would you ignore the best performed games in League ? Answer: you feel like a winner.

well for a start its a grand final comparison between two domestic comps, which Origin is not part of. Such comparisons have merit. and doesnt take away from Origins ratings. This isnt a list of the best rating games of the year - it would then be apropriate to bring up Origin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back