Traded Brad Hill [traded with future 3rd to St Kilda for Acres, #10, #58, future 2nd and 4th]

Who won this trade?

• Fremantle

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

IF (big if) the reported 6 + future 2nd was knocked back by Freo, then why would we accept 12 + future 2nd, let alone 12 + future 3rd. Doesn't make any sense.

A lot of pressure from the Hill camp & his management to get the deal through. Should’ve taken the first offer but the diluted second offer will get done anyway. Just my prediction.

Does Bell have the guts to hold Hill to his contract if a better offer than 6 + 2nd doesn't come? It isn't as easy as a decision as some think (maybe why it very rarely happens).

Bloke has the ego the size of the moon last year he honestly thought he could convince Lachie Neale to stay simply because he had joined the club.

If the Bell playbook plays out the same as last year his next move tomorrow will be a statement "He is a required player under contract and we are increasingly confident we can convince him to stay."
Has the potential to back fire massively. Next years draft isn't very good. It's extremely compromised. So any picks they get next year ain't worth much.

Also means they lose 12 months of development into a longer term player.

That's before you consider if he gets injured or has a poor year.

Hawks trade a 23 year old multiple premiership player for a pick in the 20’s to help him play with his brother then Freo get on their high horse and reject pick 6 and a second round pick.

It is not like he is any better at Freo than at the Hawks HD was amazing for them. Pick 6 and significant change seems a good offer considering how you did not
pay true market value for him.

Nobody said he was...

Oh wait!

This guy is actually a dead set gun. A lot of people won't realise unless they've watched him closely but he does far more than stats or watching a few games on TV would show.

To be fair, he has excelled at Freo and exceeded all expectations but that wouldn't surprise anyone who followed him closely early on.

He's become far more than a guy who gets a few touches with some outside speed. Phenomenal work rate/endurance and IMO, has now put together a solid enough body of work to not be considered a downhill skiier (or "icing on top" player).

As much as it pains me to agree with the club demanding overs.. This guy is actually a dead set gun. A lot of people won't realise unless they've watched him closely but he does far more than stats or watching a few games on TV would show. Opens up the field for the rest of his team as well as being able to cut up the opposition himself. And does it all day long.

Same thing happened when he left the Hawks (few outsiders recognised/understood what he brings to the table and what he is capable of). To be fair, he has excelled at Freo and exceeded all expectations but that wouldn't surprise anyone who followed him closely early on.

There were several games this year alone where Freo looked insipid and an absolutely flogging likely, and it was only Hill and Fyfe keeping them anywhere near being in the game at times. He's become far more than a guy who gets a few touches with some outside speed. Phenomenal work rate/endurance and IMO, has now put together a solid enough body of work to not be considered a downhill skiier (or "icing on top" player).

That said - I do think the request from Freo is overs, I also think the Saints wont be disappointed no matter what they end up paying for him.

Spot on. I suspect most St Kilda supporters can not truly appreciate his game due to not watching him live much. I was staggered when he came across and saw live the running he does. Other players might trundle around and rack up more total distance, but for genuine high speed efforts, nobody I have seen even comes close. You can't really see it on TV. Worth every bit of pick 6 and then some, and would be the Saints best player by a country mile.

- from the AFL site:

“Fremantle is preparing to re-enter trade negotiations with St Kilda about wantaway winger Bradley Hill despite a setback on Thursday.

The Saints chose to 'split' their prized No.6 draft selection – along with pick 59 – for Greater Western Sydney's Nos.12 and 18 in a fascinating development.

The Dockers had long stated that top-10 selection must be involved in any deal for Hill but they will now almost certainly have to settle for No.12 as the highest choice.“

IF (big if) the reported 6 + future 2nd was knocked back by Freo, then why would we accept 12 + future 2nd, let alone 12 + future 3rd. Doesn't make any sense.

You may not. But with Bell being not willing to deal, obviously the Saints cannot just sit around twiddling their thumbs when there are other players to be had and time is limited.

Splitting our pick means we can get on with it, but still make a deal with Freo if they change their mind on value. As long as Bell does not wait too long.

Howard becoming available only made the timing of Bell's re-think on value all the more ill considered. Plus everyone in the AFL apart from Bell knows that the Saints are reserving next years first rounder fora potential B King negotiation.

It’s pretty obviously to me that the Saints bit off more than they could chew. Good on them for attracting so many players, but the problem became how to pay for them with picks.

It started with the tactical leaking of Hill’s meniscus injury, a couple of hours after the 5 years on massive money was confirmed by SL. Saints were cooling on Hill, I think because they couldn’t work out how to get Hill, Ryder, Howard and Jones. Or possibly they started to regret the close to 900k a year wage and fitting all four under the salary cap.

Then the take it or leave it offer of pick 6 + (we think) a future 3rd pick. With plenty of time to negotiate, the Saints slammed the door by doing a picks trade to downgrade pick 6. Why so quickly?

I think the Saints have cooled on Hill this year, and they are using tactical leaks to their tame Journos (or in Tom Morris’s case scumbag) to pin the blame on Fremantle.

There is time for St. Kilda to manufacture enough for a trade, but I think they won’t be able to get all 4 through the door; 3 yes without Hill. Maybe 2 only with Hill. (Or trade out more than just Bruce).

I can't wrap my head around this guy being worth 800-900k...

Unfortunately it is the reality of teams lower down the ladder having to pay overs.

Do you think Lynch would have chosen Richmond if they were not the reigning premiers and had finished ninth? No he would have joined the Pies or Hawthorn.

You may not. But with Bell being not willing to deal, obviously the Saints cannot just sit around twiddling their thumbs when there are other players to be had and time is limited.

Splitting our pick means we can get on with it, but still make a deal with Freo if they change their mind on value. As long as Bell does not wait too long.

Howard becoming available only made the timing of Bell's re-think on value all the more ill considered. Plus everyone in the AFL apart from Bell knows that the Saints are reserving next years first rounder fora potential B King negotiation.

Without a significant package coming with pick 12 then we simply can not accept it.

Brad's playing for us next year if that's that case.

He wanted the two firsts AND something on top.

Would have been one of the biggest deals we've ever seen.

Only big footy has said that, trade radio says two firsts during the day and then in the end of day wrap up said two plus future 3rd but with something heading back with Hill.

Considering the value of a future 3rd that could easily have been to reduce the value under the two firsts?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- from the AFL site:

“Fremantle is preparing to re-enter trade negotiations with St Kilda about wantaway winger Bradley Hill despite a setback on Thursday.

The Saints chose to 'split' their prized No.6 draft selection – along with pick 59 – for Greater Western Sydney's Nos.12 and 18 in a fascinating development.

The Dockers had long stated that top-10 selection must be involved in any deal for Hill but they will now almost certainly have to settle for No.12 as the highest choice.“

Huh, i thought the negotiations were over? Happy to keep Hill?

I'm not sure why so many supporters are aggressively going at each other. An equally plausible explanation is the Saints think they have found a way to satisfy Freo this year and hold onto picks for next year. A quick chat to Bell to outline the plan, a nod of agreement from Bell and off the Saints go and get all of their deals done.
There's so much time left, I'll be very surprised if Brad is in purple next year. There's more to come in this trade I believe.

- from the AFL site:

Marc McGowan is of the opinion that a deal will get done. I suspect he always thinks a deal will get done, and he’s 90% correct. Deals don’t always get done though. I think there is a fair likelihood that the deal is close to falling over.

It’s pretty obviously to me that the Saints bit off more than they could chew.

No, it is just like bidding on a house at an auction. You make up your mind in advance what the house(player) is worth and stick to it. Hill is worth what he is worth, and not a Kelly like deal. Bell is basing his valuation on the mansion next door, rather than the one he is living in.

While Freo differed witha reserve set way too high, Howard became available for sale and so the Saints are buying that property as well as checking out a number of other properties. We are still buyers, but not at any price.

Problem is that Bell wants to "win" the trade. Good trades are where both parties feel ok about it.

Then the take it or leave it offer of pick 6 + (we think) a future 3rd pick. With plenty of time to negotiate, the Saints slammed the door by doing a picks trade to downgrade pick 6. Why so quickly?

It's not really that quick, 4 days into the official trade period after at least a week of unofficial trade talk.

No, it is just like bidding on a house at an auction. You make up your mind in advance what the house(player) is worth and stick to it. Hill is worth what he is not worth and not a Kelly like deal.

While Freo differed witha reserve set way too high, Howard became available for sale and so the Saints are buying that property as well as checking out a number of other properties. We are still buyers, but not at any price.

Problem is that Bell wants to "win" the trade. Good trades are where both parties feel ok about it.
How do you know what was offered and what was the counter?

A lot of pressure from the Hill camp & his management to get the deal through. Should’ve taken the first offer but the diluted second offer will get done anyway. Just my prediction.
Do you really think that, after the media announces Freo declined 6 and 2020 2nd, that they would accept 12 and 2020 2nd/3rd? I cannot think of anything more stupid than if Freo did that. The fans would be completely outraged that we basically moved back 6 spots for no reason. Would never happen.

Nothing wrong with splitting your picks as I understand that you had to move on with other deals. But there is literally a 0% chance that Freo accept an offer that is much worse than a previous offer, that's all I'm saying.

No, it is just like bidding on a house at an auction. You make up your mind in advance what the house(player) is worth and stick to it. Hill is worth what he is worth, and not a Kelly like deal. Bell is basing his valuation on the mansion next door, rather than the one he is living in.

In this case you are bidding on four houses. You have a limited budget but have committed to buying all four. You are crapping yourself.

Bell will only win the trade if there is no trade.

I think the Saints have cooled on Hill this year, and they are using tactical leaks to their tame Journos (or in Tom Morris’s case scumbag) to pin the blame on Fremantle.

So you think that the List Managers are driven by how they look in the media, rather than doing what is best for their club?

If that is Bell's mindset then this trade is doomed.

How do you know what was offered?

Bell making a last pitch for Neale makes him egotistical.

Nothing wrong with attempting but the way the bloke went about it with quotes like this show that he wants to make the whole show about himself

football chief Peter Bell believing it would be a "feather in my cap" to convince the star midfielder to rebuff Brisbane's interest and commit to the Dockers.

Was widely reported that he backed himself to convince him to stay and was shocked when he said he still wanted to leave.

Then the comment about how they will not be chasing Hogan, then the 180 backflip. Hardly worth listening to what he says.

Bloke thinks he is Kevin Costner in the movie Draft Day.

Get the feeling he really enjoys the sport of negotiating this type of stuff. He obviously has every right to try and maximise outcomes for his club.

So you think that the List Managers are driven by how they look in the media, rather than doing what is best for their club?

If that is Bell's mindset then this trade is doomed.
What does the quote have to do with Bell?

He only mentioned the Saints.

If you want to disagree, no problem but he didn’t say nothing about Bell.

Marc McGowan is of the opinion that a deal will get done. I suspect he always thinks a deal will get done, and he’s 90% correct. Deals don’t always get done though. I think there is a fair likelihood that the deal is close to falling over.

And when it doesn't get done he tells everyone how it was an absolute certainty until the player actually came out with his decision. The way he baked Fantasia was above and beyond pathetic!

It will be just like the Friday of the 2018 trade period if this trade doesn't get done. Bell will be crucified for holding the best player in this trade!

Back