Workshop Cricket Kit Designs/Discussion

Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I'm still not convinced. The shirts and the aesthetic of the league looked much better when each team was developing their own unique identity, expressed through their individual designs. For me the move to cookie-cutter designs is a step backwards in each team growing an identity in their area

For example, the Renegades were developing a tough, urban style and brand with the brick walls and graffiti aesthetic, but all that development is gone and now we're simply 'the red team'
This isn’t a good thing.

I mean, I don’t really care /that/ much it’s just Big Bash end of the day, but as someone that designs jerseys, this is homogenised crap that takes away any sort of identity these teams had.

Its pretty clear the BBL has moved past identity now. The Stars and Renegades boards were merged into one over this off-season, so obviously identity is not a priority of CA's .
One thing we have to remember on this board is that we are a group of graphics designers and sportswear designers, so of course this isn't going to sit well with us. But from a general public's perspective, apart from the inability to buy good-looking uniforms, this has to be a good move. If you are going to use every colour of the rainbow, why not express the differences in colour as much as possible.

9B48FC33-381F-4741-85E8-C3FC331EAE53.png
"The Big Reveal" as if a completely minimalised billboard of a kit is meant to be something more exciting than teams actually having a personality in what they wear.

ps%20v%20bh%20bbl08%20ARTICLE.ashx

You can't say that this uniform doesn't perform the jobs of a kit better than what they're serving up this year:

1) Distinguish teams from one another
2) Follow BBL/CA branding conventions (via colour)
3) Clearly display sponsors as per contractual requirements
4) Have interesting and catchy design that resonates with fans - particularly younger ones - encouraging them to follow the league

What really is the point of removing that? Is the BBL declining in revenue such that they need to make cuts to the budget of the uniform department?

Did it cost all that much for the teams to have some character?

Last edited:

Is it smart to switch to the lime green pants but stick with black pads?

100 ball cricket? Not sure why they don't just make it T20. It's not that hard to follow 20 more deliveries. How will overs work now? The last over has 2 balls?
No doubt an attempt to "metric-ise" cricket, which it really isn't a hard game to understand to begin with.
Result of the ECB wanting an IPL/BBL franchise league without being able to dismantle, and not wanting to directly compete with, the existing domestic T20 competition.

Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
"The Big Reveal" as if a completely minimalised billboard of a kit is meant to be something more exciting than teams actually having a personality in what they wear.

ps%20v%20bh%20bbl08%20ARTICLE.ashx

You can't say that this uniform doesn't perform the jobs of a kit better than what they're serving up this year:

1) Distinguish teams from one another
2) Follow BBL/CA branding conventions (via colour)
3) Clearly display sponsors as per contractual requirements
4) Have interesting and catchy design that resonates with fans - particularly younger ones - encouraging them to follow the league

What really is the point of removing that? Is the BBL declining in revenue such that they need to make cuts to the budget of the uniform department?

Did it cost all that much for the teams to have some character?
If I was a CA official (I'm not, just pretending)
1) Having less black allows for more contrast between teams.
4) Have bright colours which attracts fans - encouraging especially young kids them to follow the league

From a uniform design perspective, it is awful.
From a functionality perspective, does the original job of becoming a brighter set of uniforms which the old big bash (state teams) failed to achieve, perfectly.

1) Having less black allows for more contrast between teams.
The way I see, having less black (eg. Sixers now in Pink pants rather than Black before) creates less contrast between them and the Renegades and now the only thin differentiating them is sponsors and a slight change of hue that may be indistinguishable from a distance.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
It's very dissapointing because I was looking forward to purchasing a jersey with one of the BBL08 Champions shield on it but I just can't bring myself to buy a $110 tshirt billboard. Quite pathetic and turned a competition in which teams had a lot of personality into one where the only differentiating identity is the colours. Way to tank your brand Cricket Australia.

It's a shame too because the collar look really good on the Majestic template this season.
If you really want to get one, they have massive sales post season.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The way I see, having less black (eg. Sixers now in Pink pants rather than Black before) creates less contrast between them and the Renegades and now the only thin differentiating them is sponsors and a slight change of hue that may be indistinguishable from a distance.
On tbe other hand, there are no longer three teams in black pants.

Are they plainer/no design so that they are wearable in more casual situations? Therefore buyers can wear them out, and it looks more like a plain color tee that you'd get at Target or Kmart, rather than a sports jersey?

Doubt it - they’re still really bright and gaudy colours with sponsor logos plastered all over them.

cottoneyeYeo

All Australian
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Are they plainer/no design so that they are wearable in more casual situations? Therefore buyers can wear them out, and it looks more like a plain color tee that you'd get at Target or Kmart, rather than a sports jersey?
id really go naked then wear one of them out in public

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I'd rather wear a blue shirt with a giant S than a blue shirt with a giant Vodafone logo.

Doubt it - they’re still really bright and gaudy colours with sponsor logos plastered all over them.
Yeah I was thinking about it a while ago and, to get anywhere near that coveted NBA marketability sweetspot, it'd probably be preferable to do the opposite of this season:
wbblack.png

Obviously we know why they can't/won't go in that direction. But I'd get one (or all) of them, something of a collectible feel to it.

BeeEye0015

Rookie
Dec 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Always wanted this as the shirt. I don't like that they just plastered the logo on the belly and the that's it. Shows a lack of effort.
This is a little different , and has it least some design skills while also incorporating the logo in.

View attachment 762962
Both sponsors would have been signed after all apparel had been made and sent out, that's why it looks like the sponsors are just plastered on the top.
This is something that happens a bit in BBL

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I just don’t get why particularly the bright teams can’t keep the black pants? Scorchers uniform would look so much better with black pants.

The lack of design is atrocious. Are people actually going to buy these shirts? Why do all the teams need to be the same? Why can’t they start making their own calls?

Result of the ECB wanting an IPL/BBL franchise league without being able to dismantle, and not wanting to directly compete with, the existing domestic T20 competition.

The current T20 league is going to continue? alongside the 100 thing?

Back