Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
well for a start its a grand final comparison between two domestic comps, which Origin is not part of. Such comparisons have merit. and doesnt take away from Origins ratings. This isnt a list of the best rating games of the year - it would then be apropriate to bring up Origin.

Ummm, if you are trying to compare the codes why would you use GFs ? Hello, the GF is top of the tree for AFL, not so other codes. So if you are looking thru AFL binoculars.

Anyhow on to current news, the bloke from NSW who wants the Melbourne Cup albeit a NSW version, same bloke to head up the NRL soon:
V’landys says that Victoria has to get over its “sense of entitlement” to spring racing — a key time when football finals are over and before the cricket season begins.

But it’s what comes next that looms as V’landys’ biggest challenge. Having ruled over racing in NSW for 17 years as chief executive of Racing NSW, he will, after October 30, become chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission, the governing body of the National Rugby League competition and overseer of the entire code

“I’m not delusional. I think rugby league is going to be hard. And there’s just as many self-interest groups as there are in racing. As long as people don’t get personal and as long as people knock me for my decisions and not my personality, then I’ll be OK.”

.... he insists he will be more of a behind-the-scenes operator while dealing with the government to win more funding for the sport — and also, within the next couple of years, negotiating the league’s next billion-dollar media broadcast rights deal.

He can’t resist firing a warning shot to rivals in Victoria who protect the AFL franchise. “I can open doors that have previously been closed to rugby league. I can bring relationships that I have built up over time. But rugby league can’t be complacent. We’ve had champagne tastes with champagne revenue. We have to make sure we maintain that champagne revenue.

One of the journos from Victoria has been telling all the AFL people, ‘You’ll be in for a ride when V’landys gets to the NRL because you’ve finally got a threat’. I find that a compliment. I’m going to do my best for rugby league as I’ve done for racing. If it means taking someone on, I’ll take them on.”

Lots more in the original article, if you've not heard of him, you will.

Last edited:
Why would you ignore the best performed games in League ? Answer: you feel like a winner.

What Wookie said.

Comparing the two Grand Finals seems completely appropriate and does not equate to ignoring Origin games.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Ummm, if you are trying to compare the codes why would you use GFs ? Hello, the GF is top of the tree for AFL, not so other codes. So if you are looking thru AFL binoculars .

Anyhow on to current news, the bloke from NSW who wants the Melbourne Cup albeit a NSW version, same bloke to head up the NRL soon:
V’landys says that Victoria has to get over its “sense of entitlement” to spring racing — a key time when football finals are over and before the cricket season begins.

But it’s what comes next that looms as V’landys’ biggest challenge. Having ruled over racing in NSW for 17 years as chief executive of Racing NSW, he will, after October 30, become chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission, the governing body of the National Rugby League competition and overseer of the entire code

“I’m not delusional. I think rugby league is going to be hard. And there’s just as many self-interest groups as there are in racing. As long as people don’t get personal and as long as people knock me for my decisions and not my personality, then I’ll be OK.”

.... he insists he will be more of a behind-the-scenes operator while dealing with the government to win more funding for the sport — and also, within the next couple of years, negotiating the league’s next billion-dollar media broadcast rights deal.

He can’t resist firing a warning shot to rivals in Victoria who protect the AFL franchise. “I can open doors that have previously been closed to rugby league. I can bring relationships that I have built up over time. But rugby league can’t be complacent. We’ve had champagne tastes with champagne revenue. We have to make sure we maintain that champagne revenue.

One of the journos from Victoria has been telling all the AFL people, ‘You’ll be in for a ride when V’landys gets to the NRL because you’ve finally got a threat’. I find that a compliment. I’m going to do my best for rugby league as I’ve done for racing. If it means taking someone on, I’ll take them on.”

Lots more, if you've not heard of him, you will.

This isnt horse racing. Its going to take more than throwing millions at an event - which is almost literally the sum total of his achievement at Racing NSW.

(and yes I know its literally not)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
well for a start its a grand final comparison between two domestic comps, which Origin is not part of. Such comparisons have merit. and doesnt take away from Origins ratings. This isnt a list of the best rating games of the year - it would then be apropriate to bring up Origin.

Yep, but the crowd want AFL to be numero uno, say no more, AFL footy has no Origin, international or World Cup equivalent ... ignore it?

I do understand your point, i'm not denying the GF comparison simply pointing out it may not be apples with apples despite the obvious.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep, but the crowd want AFL to be numero uno, say no more, AFL footy has no Origin, international or World Cup equivalent ... ignore it?

well its not particurlarly germane in this instance.

I do understand your point, i'm not denying the GF comparison simply pointing out it may not be apples with apples despite the obvious.

Id think anyone in this thread would - or should - already know this without you telling them they are blind

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ummm, if you are trying to compare the codes why would you use GFs ? Hello, the GF is top of the tree for AFL, not so other codes. So if you are looking thru AFL binoculars.

Lots more in the original article, if you've not heard of him, you will.

Geepers is this vlandys dude got a bit of the Donald Trumps about him or what?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
This isnt horse racing. Its going to take more than throwing millions at an event - which is almost literally the sum total of his achievement at Racing NSW.

(and yes I know its literally not)

I've always wondered where and how the * did racing NSW get so much money to throw at a ******* horse race like the Everest?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Haha, it was on Friday night and originally on the main channel of the public broadcaster that was the "home of soccer" for decades!

Yeh, it was a strange comment by Hinds, not to mention, that early on the SBS ratings for the A-League were pretty good, certainly a lot better than what they were getting in the final season on One, a lot, lot better.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
The China issue has reared its head recently. For those not keeping up to date,

Essentially, an NBA Houston Rocket GM tweeted his support for HK and China censors don't like that and have tried to censor the NBA, which other people don't like and boom. More detail in the article. The NBA isn't the only own goal by China censors this week. #Blizzardboycott has been trending on twitter, in relation to E-sports player who shared similar sentiments and was banned for a year. Raises the question of how close should you get to China. The morals of accepting money and then being forced to be silent. Of course, Port have that China game(and $6 million in revenue) but it has got much broader issues than that. I am sure people can find money from Chinese companies in all our major sports. It is also a much bigger issue overseas, as we have seen in the NBA. The WTA, for example, has huge revenues from China, probably the most % of revenue from a major sports organisation. If a player tweeted on Hong Kong, I wonder what would happen.....I shudder to think.

I, personally, don't really fear or dislike China(outside the 3 T's and the U) but I am not happy that players/fans are being forced to censure themselves in our own country. My line is there.

This is a touchy subject, as it draws politics into sport and that is something I do dislike and try to avoid. But I just hope the AFL/NRL etc do not compromise its own governing edicts over the Chinese goldmine. As South Park put it "anybody who would betray their ideals just to make money in China isn't worth a lick of spit"
There is nothing in China that is not "political". Something sports organisations, and everyone else, needs to remember.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeh, it was a strange comment by Hinds, not to mention, that early on the SBS ratings for the A-League were pretty good, certainly a lot better than what they were getting in the final season on One, a lot, lot better.

There are a bunch of sports journalists not from a primary soccer backround that seem desperate to ingratiate themselves with the parts of the Australian soccer community that are either deluded about (and more often than not in combination):
-a co-ordinated and malicious persecutory agenda against soccer (often assumed to be governed out of AFL house)
-the prospects of soccer becoming far more popular than it is in this country

Hinds is probably the worst of them and this article has a little bit in it for both of these

Anyway, what is for sure is that the ABC will not meet the expectations of these people and will join the conga line of media outlets that includes ch 7, SBS, foxtel, Ch 10 that have all "let down" Australian soccer and are "against it" probably at the behest of the AFL

Richard Hinds might be all on board skewing coverage towards a private owned franchise sporting competition but I doubt his efforts will be replicated across "ABC platforms". It's not like that is going to have any material effect anyway. People don't watch the A League because they are not interested in it

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seems like a dodgy bloke that V'landy fella. Typical type part of the Sydney establishement who think Sydney is the centre of the ******* Universe!
Will be interesting how as NRL Chairmen he intends to sell the NRL to the good people in Melbourne when he says this sort of insulting stuff -

“Melbourne has the smelly Yarra river, it’s got the most dreary city on Earth with the worst weather ..."

“In stark contrast Sydney has the most beautiful city in the world and without any doubt the best harbour in the world ...”

... and he then has the audacity to tell Melbourne to move back the Melbourne Cup and the whole Spring Carnival (Australia's biggest racing carnival) to late November/December!

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Will be interesting how as NRL Chairmen he intends to sell the NRL to the good people in Melbourne when he says this sort of insulting stuff -

“Melbourne has the smelly Yarra river, it’s got the most dreary city on Earth with the worst weather ..."

“In stark contrast Sydney has the most beautiful city in the world and without any doubt the best harbour in the world ...”

... and he then has the audacity to tell Melbourne to move back the Melbourne Cup and the whole Spring Carnival (Australia's biggest racing carnival) to late November/December!

It's not just V'landy a lot of people from Sydney especially the establishment mob are so jealous of what Melbourne has especially in terms of the world stage. So they try to convince themselves that Sydney is always the bigger and better City and should have all those wonderful events too because you know.. "Sydney should be the center of everything and Melbourne is just the ass end of the world afterall". So they come up with fake City dick measuring rivalries because they think it upsets us and its somehow makes them backslapping relevant. But all it does it make them all look like a bunch of ******* knobs.

oh and who give a * about a harbor and a silly bridge anyway. I certainly don't wake up every morning thinking I wish my city at one of those.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
It's not just V'landy a lot of people from Sydney especially the establishment mob are so jealous of what Melbourne has especially in terms of the world stage. So they try to convince themselves that Sydney is always the bigger and better City and should have all those wonderful events too because you know.. "Sydney should be the center of everything and Melbourne is just the ass end of the world afterall". So they come up with fake City dick measuring rivalries because they think it upsets us and its somehow makes them backslapping relevant. But all it does it make them all look like a bunch of ******* knobs.

oh and who give a fu** about a harbor and a silly bridge anyway. I certainly don't wake up every morning thinking I wish my city at one of those.

Really giggler?

We can't go 5 mins without get forcefed how glorious Melbourne supposedly is. So please end the whole Sydney does all the chestbeating garbage.

It's bad from both sides. Your post is evidence of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back