Training It’s a big preseason for .......

Remove this Banner Ad

How does Ainsworth get his skills to AFL standard though? The ball drop is really awkward /unconventional and I don't know too many players who have rebuilt their action once in the system.

Happens all the time in professional sports, from golfers adjusting their swing to sprinters fixing their form. You have the athlete work with a biomechanists to gradually change the technique.

While it's easier to teach a child the proper technique, there's nothing that prevents adults from changing their technique as well. I recall reading it takes 120hrs of repetition to change the muscle memory, so that equates to 8hrs per week over a 4 month pre-season.

With Ainsworth, I imagine it wouldn't be that hard either. He only needs to automate 1) how he holds the ball and 2) timing the new drop onto his boot.
He may never have Hurn like disposal, but you can still fix a lot.

Gov and Barrass need to be able to play more than prima-donna interceptors! (bit harsh I know). They got rag-dolled, were victims of dirty play off the ball and going for the ball, were held accountable, made to defend...a need to adapt.

The coaching needs to be tweaked, certainly hope we don't roll out the same brand as 2019. We've been worked out.

Venners missed a season of on-field development, but you'd expect him to return more beefed and skilled.
Petch must work on his other skills, or get a footy-brain implant?- pace 'aint everything if you don't know what to do when you arrive there?
Cole and Duggs might return as improved soldiers.
JK might surprise many in 2020. I never bought into all that "tired old workhorse' jive.
Nelson could capitalise on 2019 and finally find his groove. It's his to lose.
AhChee...???...what can he be? Will they work on him preseason, can he improve?
Cameron will work on his body no doubt and can only improve.
Brander, Rotham and Watson >>>>> thunderbirds are go!
Dont know enough about Ainsworth, Brayshaw, Williams, O'Neill, Foley...(smith?)
Hopefully there's a good midfielder in there somewhere...
Imagine an improved OAllen, Waterman, Ryan and Cameron?
Jeez, it looks like a big preseason for everybody including the water-boy and the tea-lady.....
(*forgot the big fella, NN - please drop some kegs and build that fitness base)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although I don't think Gov was as good as last year, still AA.
Wouldn't call that a so so year TBH.

IMO - All Australian selections don't always reflect the true picture.

Unless there is an outstanding 'replacement' reputations see some selected. For mine McG was probably lucky no other CHB had a 'better' year - if Rance was up an about I reckon McG wouldn't have got a gig this year.

I guess a number of players are already hitting the gym at our new center, putting on the beef. Saw Brander and Oscar there in the TK interviews. Does anyone have any updates on what the players are up to at the moment?

Waterman for me. I’d love to see us run with a marking option off the wing.
If we need a marking option on the wing I think Ah Chee offers more than Waterman. I hope he gets regular games next year.

AFLX

It really needs to just go train the house down, and hopefully come back stronger and fitter than ever to force its way back into the side and back into our hearts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back