Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough,I don't know the history a lot,I was only a kid at the time.
Yeah vfl team was travelling very well last time went to a couple roster games with crowds of over 10,000 at Bellerive were consistently getting crowds between 5-10 k made it to a prelim final then the genius at the afl decided to align them with north Melbourne which pretty much destroyed the team!

more nsw teams please... basic economics says tasmania is a terrible idea... whats the point of converting afl fans from one team to the other when you can set up grassroots programs in high populated areas in nsw take rugbys market all the while having massive sydney sponsorships.
Ha Yeah I mean look at the thousands of supporters gws have taken of nrl clubs 😂I mean there averaging a massive 12,000 to there home games from a population area of 4 million that’s a great conversion rate not lol

I've said before, if 18 year olds don't want to live on the Gold Coast, they are hardly going to prefer Hobart.
Even if you are allowed to keep every Tasmanian, up to 30 players extra players will be needed.
That's a lot.
Not saying impossible, but a huge challenge.
ps personally, I'd like to see a Tassie team, and I like Hobart and Lonnie
The main reason players don’t want to play on the Gold Coast is because it has been an utter disgrace from day 1 extremely poorly set up and run very unprofessional set a club up properly from day 1 one with professional and experienced people be competitive on field and players will stay !

I agree the benifits are going be to huge if we get an NBL team,so the government will be silly to ignore something soo major.I look forward to signing up as a member of both an AFL and NBL team,and I'm more than happy to travel from Scottsdale to Hobart to see our own teams play.

The plan certainly will be to play AFL & NBL in both Hobart & in Launy, maybe an NBL game along the NWC at some stage

Ha Yeah I mean look at the thousands of supporters gws have taken of nrl clubs 😂I mean there averaging a massive 12,000 to there home games from a population area of 4 million that’s a great conversion rate not lol
Key word is grassroots programs... The 10 year olds of 2012 aren't suddenly 30 year olds with kids and influencing their kids to be fans of the club. GWS are already challenging clubs like north for membership, in 20 years time GWS will be a powerhouse. I know as Saints fans you and I are used to being a massive powerhouse club with tons of fans but put into perspective that not all clubs have massive followings like us especially ones established 7 years ago

The main reason players don’t want to play on the Gold Coast is because it has been an utter disgrace from day 1 extremely poorly set up and run very unprofessional set a club up properly from day 1 one with professional and experienced people be competitive on field and players will stay !

Well the AFL set both of them up so what would be the difference in that to get such different outcomes thus far?

The plan certainly will be to play AFL & NBL in both Hobart & in Launy, maybe an NBL game along the NWC at some stage
Yes, the NBL have stated the Silverdome will only host a couple of games a season unless it gets a major upgrade and the nw will only likely host pre season games due to lack of big enough venue.

Well the AFL set both of them up so what would be the difference in that to get such different outcomes thus far?

The AFL has a hand in it, but for the most part the setup and operation of the teams in run by the board of each club, with the AFL effectively acting as a financier with a huge say when it has to. This can lead to large differences in the management of clubs as the AFL doesnt particularly want to be micro managing each club where it has a some measure of board control. (look at the differences between Sydney, GWS and Gold Coast - and t a lesser extent Adelaide and Port - all of whom have the AFL as the overlord of the board at the moment)

The AFL has a hand in it, but for the most part the setup and operation of the teams in run by the board of each club, with the AFL effectively acting as a financier with a huge say when it has to. This can lead to large differences in the management of clubs as the AFL doesnt particularly want to be micro managing each club where it has a some measure of board control. (look at the differences between Sydney, GWS and Gold Coast - and t a lesser extent Adelaide and Port - all of whom have the AFL as the overlord of the board at the moment)

Ok, but surely the AFL vetted the boards & had input into the structures the clubs set up, & of the football departments staffing?.

It is still seems unbelievable the different outcomes, club culture & performance GCS, that we've seen over their respective journeys thus far.

Ok, but surely the AFL vetted the boards & had input into the structures the clubs set up, & of the football departments staffing?.

It is still seems unbelievable the different outcomes, club culture & performance GCS, that we've seen over their respective journeys thus far.

The AFL approves the board, but rolls with the plan the board puts together - for the most part these boards consist of local successful business and football folks who should be more aware than a Melbourne based Commission - until it needs to intervene.

In some ways you can see a variant of this in the differences between Fremantle and West Coast as well.

The AFL approves the board, but rolls with the plan the board puts together - for the most part these boards consist of local successful business and football folks who should be more aware than a Melbourne based Commission - until it needs to intervene.

In some ways you can see a variant of this in the differences between Fremantle and West Coast as well.

Certainly. In WA WCE had the place to themselves for about 8 years prior to Freo's creation. Similar in SA with about a 6 year head start for the crows over Port.

It put both Freo & Port behind the 8 ball from the start.

Maybe if they'd started them together the level of 'successes' might have been closer. Maybe.

Certainly. In WA WCE had the place to themselves for about 8 years prior to Freo's creation. Similar in SA with about a 6 year head start for the crows over Port.

It put both Freo & Port behind the 8 ball from the start.

Maybe if they'd started them together the level of 'successes' might have been closer. Maybe.

It would be different in WA, south of the river club supporters may have been attracted to Freo.

The AFL invovement in both GWS & the Suns is very evident in the admin. I believe Tas would have a local admin not blokes parachuted in by HQ, & taken back or tossed out at the whim of HQ, e.g Travis Auld at the Suns (wasnt his brother given a role in Tas then taken back to Q too?).

I believe Tas would have a local admin not blokes parachuted in by HQ, & taken back or tossed out at the whim of HQ, e.g Travis Auld at the Suns (wasnt his brother given a role in Tas then taken back to Q too?).

I doubt its going to be independent of the league until its proven financially stable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt its going to be independent of the league until its proven financially stable.

89590, member: 123650"]
It would be different in WA, south of the river club supporters may have been attracted to Freo.

The AFL invovement in both GWS & the Suns is very evident in the admin. I believe Tas would have a local admin not blokes parachuted in by HQ, & taken back or tossed out at the whim of HQ, e.g Travis Auld at the Suns (wasnt his brother given a role in Tas then taken back to Q too?).
[/QUOTE]

Robert Auld ('the cheese maker') was parachuted into the roll as boss of AFLTas. He achieved absolutely nothing. Was then promoted out. As they say 'accountants make great employees, but lousy managers'. How true!

I have no doubt the AFL would control & oversea any AFL team started in Tasmania. And so they should. One would hope they would have learned from their many mistakes in starting the number of clubs they already have ;)

Maybe they'd get it right here. That'd be a first for the AFL here.

I find it hard to believe that Tassie is required to sign up 50000 members before the team gets the go ahead,that is more than a fair few of the AFL teams have.Im not saying it will be impossible but it is a big ask for a small market and it would be sad to see it all fallover just because we are unable to get enough members.

Last edited:
The afl had there own people heavily involved at the suns Travis auld second in charge at the afl was put in as ceo at the suns at the beginning a guy that had no experience whatsoever in running professional sporting clubs he appointed a rookie coach a second rate list manager and inexperienced assistant and development coaches whe n you look at the giants who were left alone buy the afl they organised things themselves appointed sheedy mark willams for coaches gubby Alan as list manager it’s pretty easy to look now and see why things have turned out so differently at the two clubs

Yeah Robert auld who was a salesmen at pura milk 😂 and had no experience whatsoever in sports administration Travis brother was put in charge at afl Tasmania in two years at helm we had two state league clubs leave the competition and the whole state league on the brink of collapse it was a disaster then unbelievably he was promoted to afl head office!

If only the AFL didn't give them the license instead of the Gold Coast. Not having a team from Tasmania is a disgrace, especially in Aussie Rules Football. Leigh Matthews was right about 2 teams in Queensland.

I imagine our state government will have a lot of input on the running of the team since there the ones really pushing for the license

If thats the case, i think you can forget having a team. I think one of the major reasons a team hasnt been offered already is the level of government funding thats going to be required and maintained through its various commercial and government arms, and Government trying to have a say in the operation of the football team itself is going to be a non starter with the league.

Yeah Robert auld who was a salesmen at pura milk 😂 and had no experience whatsoever in sports administration Travis brother was put in charge at afl Tasmania in two years at helm we had two state league clubs leave the competition and the whole state league on the brink of collapse it was a disaster then unbelievably he was promoted to afl head office!

His bro was promoted from the Gold Coast leaving a toxic culture, was Blueys fault he got the DCM.

Developing clubs need respect by HQ not a training ground.

The afl had there own people heavily involved at the suns Travis auld second in charge at the afl was put in as ceo at the suns at the beginning a guy that had no experience whatsoever in running professional sporting clubs he appointed a rookie coach a second rate list manager and inexperienced assistant and development coaches whe n you look at the giants who were left alone buy the afl they organised things themselves appointed sheedy mark willams for coaches gubby Alan as list manager it’s pretty easy to look now and see why things have turned out so differently at the two clubs
That plus extra draft picks and salary cap $ and its really quite obvious why the two teams have had quite different outcomes ! Hopefully tassie is done right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back