Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cody Brand will be the KPD 10+ year player after we draft him next year - better than Mason (no offence)

He BZT and Franga would make a nice trio for the future with Ambrose leading the charge whenever Hurls and Hooksy retire

Jan 10, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Both are quite mobile; think they'd play together OK

Hooker is really the only dinosaur KPP we have. Brown does his best work up the ground or leading wide, Jenkins & McKernan are your more straight line players. McKernan runs in a straight line at opposition players, Jenkins away from them.
Not true about Jenkins. Reason why he gets in behind the defence to score goals is that he is a gut runner. His defender
cant keep up.

McKernan improved a lot this year, but his final against West Coast was a freaking disgrace. We were relying on him so
much to play well. He had 1 possession to half time and kept ducking his head when attempting to mark. It is as
though he was frightened of McGovern who probably told him I will biff you behind the ear each mark you take.
McKernan was put into the ruck and was crushed there as well. He finished with 2 hitouts and 4 possessions.

Jenkins scores on average 2+ goals a game. He is a class player.

I reckon Jenkins is exactly what we need if we are to feature in finals in 2020. I hope like hell that we get him.

What I like most is that he is to be groomed as a key defender. Getting a free hit at a key defender is great for list balance but would still like a young key forward through the draft.
Trouble is there are limited KPF prospects in the draft. This year is certainly a t"take best available" draft so we may not end up covering all needs.

Trouble is there are limited KPF prospects in the draft. This year is certainly a t"take best available" draft so we may not end up covering all needs.
Riccardi I feel should be the one we draft in the 3rd round.

Riccardi I feel should be the one we draft in the 3rd round.
Given the lack of KPFs in this group of kids do you think that might push him even higher in the draft?

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Dunno if this is the right thread.....

With the two Irishman we have just signed in Ross McQuillan and Cian McBride, it will be interesting to see who we list as a Cat A rookie and Cat B rookie.

AFL rules keen you can only have one rookie on your Cat B list. I imagine we will use it for McBride as he is a bigger unit and will take longer to develop as a KPF.

McQuillan will end up Cat A, will be interesting to see how both go.

As an aside, between McKenna, McGrath, McKernan now McBride and McQuillan and possible McCartin - is this the new St Kilda 'Jack' thing?

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Given the lack of KPFs in this group of kids do you think that might push him even higher in the draft?
VFL (state leaguers in general) players barely get picked up before the 3rd round for whatever reason unless they are absolute elite prospects (I.e Kelly and Isaac Smith).
The lack of KPF stocks might slide him into the top 50, however I doubt Riccardi goes before the 3rd round.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Another Irish bloke on the list! 3 would have to be the record at one time correct? Time for another blockbuster game, the annual Saint Paddy’s game.

I reckon Carlton might have had 4 or 5 at one stage.

Two "Kierans", Toohey and Setanta. Possibly another small.

McBride is a good signing.

The interesting thing is whether they will be settled in defence and be given full time minutes.

They almost certainly wont be viable AFL selections next year so it has a short term impact on depth.

Last edited:
I reckon Carlton might have had 4 or 5 at one stage.

Two "Kierans", Toohey and Setanta. Possibly another small.

McBride is a good signing.

The interesting thing is whether they will be settled in defence and be given full time minutes.

They almost certainly wont be viable AFL selections next year so it has a short term impact on depth.

What could possibly go wrong.......

die waiting

Debutant
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Not true about Jenkins. Reason why he gets in behind the defence to score goals is that he is a gut runner. His defender
cant keep up.

McKernan improved a lot this year, but his final against West Coast was a freaking disgrace. We were relying on him so
much to play well. He had 1 possession to half time and kept ducking his head when attempting to mark. It is as
though he was frightened of McGovern who probably told him I will biff you behind the ear each mark you take.
McKernan was put into the ruck and was crushed there as well. He finished with 2 hitouts and 4 possessions.

Jenkins scores on average 2+ goals a game. He is a class player.

I reckon Jenkins is exactly what we need if we are to feature in finals in 2020. I hope like hell that we get him.
McKernan is at the stage of stretching his career out, no point getting injured in a game we cant win, snagged a contract, now see if he can get another one , 30 years old

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt it. He's no Tim Kelly, which is basically the level you need to be to go first two rounds
Dunno if this is the right thread.....

With the two Irishman we have just signed in Ross McQuillan and Cian McBride, it will be interesting to see who we list as a Cat A rookie and Cat B rookie.

AFL rules keen you can only have one rookie on your Cat B list. I imagine we will use it for McBride as he is a bigger unit and will take longer to develop as a KPF.

McQuillan will end up Cat A, will be interesting to see how both go.

As an aside, between McKenna, McGrath, McKernan now McBride and McQuillan and possible McCartin - is this the new St Kilda 'Jack' thing?
Yeah, definitely think McQuillan will be the Cat A.
100% this
If we can take Riccardi with 33 I wouldn't be too upset if we didn't offer Mitch Brown a new contract. Gives us a young power forward to develop and someone who could play as early as 2020.
I don't think 33 is the place. I think he lasts to the 3rd round honestly.

So we addressed ruck depth, added a bit of bulk and AFL experience to the midfield group, added 2 monster Irish athletes and retained everyone we wanted to retain.

A job well done, 31 and 33 are handy selections, as is having 61, 64 and 65 together in a bunch.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
How many players left to delist?

Assuming Zac Clarke is the first guy out the door.

Long and Clarke, and I'm not phased on Hartley either. I'd prefer to give BZT the games that require a KPD to come into the side.

Hope we can move around and get creative with 61, 64 and 65.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
So...

About that midfield. Still missing a prolific ball winner or two.

How far away is Dylan Clarke as a pure inside mid? I think we need to look at mids in the state league like Hibberd

How many players left to delist?

Assuming Zac Clarke is the first guy out the door.

Main List:

Out: Myers (retired), Baguley (retired), Houlahan (delisted)
In: Draper (upgraded), Phillips (Carlton), Cutler (Brisbane)

Picks, 31, 33, 61 (Draper upgrade)

Means Hartley and Brown can't be kept (to use picks 31 and 33).

I keep forgetting to point it out, but on the player list on the club's website Will Snelling is on the senior list. Dunno if someone goofed or if he's being upgraded and we haven't been told yet. He's an out of contract rookie last I heard.

Main List:

Surely we get rid of Jake Long before Brown?

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Main List:

Well Long will go also. So either Hartley or Brown gone, Hartley being the reasonable assumption. Though I'd have no problem at all with both.

As far as rookies go. Dea is gone, Draper upgraded and you'd assume Clarke is gone too. McNiece/Lavender gone too but they were cat b. So Snelling in, 1 of the Irish lads in, which leaves 1 rookie spot also.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
The way i see it z clarke and jake long need to be delisted and both Brown and Hartley need to be put on the rookie list. We can have 40 on the main list, we only had 38 this year. So with the addition of Drapes, Cutler and Phillips, they take the places of Bags, Myers and Houlahan. So still 38. Downgrade both Brown and Hartley to the rookie list takes us to 36. Use 4 picks at the national draft brings us back up to 40. We then can have 7 on the rookie list including cat bs. Jok, Mynott, Snelling, Hartley, Brown and the 2 new irish lads are the 7 rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back