What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol @ Dunkley and Dickson both being identical categories. Dunkley made the All-Australian squad at 22. Dickson was dropped in preference for a literal 3rd gamer 1st year player in our final game of the season. I've had plenty of robust debates with people on this board about he value of our players but absolutely none of them as blatantly incorrect as that believing that as it stands now Dunkley and Dickson are in the same tier as players.

I know, but Hunter and Crozier a C+ the same as Trengove, Jong, Cavarra, Hayes and Gowers. Spare me.
No saying I agree with his ratings but my opinion is no more right or wrong than his. Personally Crozier is a solid B and Hunter a Solid B+ with some improvement in kicking moves to an A

No saying I agree with his ratings but my opinion is no more right or wrong than his. Personally Crozier is a solid B and Hunter a Solid B+ with some improvement in kicking moves to an A

I stand by my point, no supposed list expert could possibly rank Hunter and Crozier in the same category as Jong, Cavarra, Hayes and Gowers. In this case his opinion is just plain wr wr wr wrong.

I stand by my point, no supposed list expert could possibly rank Hunter and Crozier in the same category as Jong, Cavarra, Hayes and Gowers. In this case his opinion is just plain wr wr wr wrong.

it’s a puff piece to promote discussion. Errors make it more provocative. It’s toilet paper.

Facts can be proven and disproven. I think games played, times dropped, best and fairest results etc is ample evidence to prove those players aren't on the same level.

Never been a fan of his, not fussed if he writes positive or negative comments about us.

Our boy Landsberger has a story linking us as one of four clubs looking to woo Ben King.
He would be a huge get for us. Imagine having him and Naughton. Two quality mobile talls that can play either end of the ground. That would be huge having that kind of flexibility

Gary Buckenara analyses the Western Bulldogs’ list after the 2019 season
Gary Buckenara, Herald Sun
October 11, 2019 7:00am
Subscriber only
The Bulldogs are building something special and we could see another piece of silverware heading to Whitten Oval as soon as next year.

I rate the list so highly. We saw glimpses of what this group of players — led by stars Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Jason Johannisen and Easton Wood — is capable of in the second half of the season, despite bowing out in the first week of the finals.

The Bulldogs have been able to overcome adversity in the years since its 2016 premiership and again endured disruptions this season with the retirements of Liam Picken and Tom Boyd and injuries to key players, including Tom Liberatore and Caleb Daniel.

After missing the finals in 2017, the club has been able to rejuvenate its list in the space of two years and I expect Luke Beveridge’s team to be a serious premiership threat in 2020.

The emergence of Aaron Naughton, who is going to be a superstar, Josh Dunkley, Bailey Smith, Ed Richards, Bailey Dale and Tim English has the Bulldogs in the enviable position of having one of the most exciting young lists in the AFL.

The signs for Josh Schache are also positive after struggling at Brisbane and despite being in and out of the senior side this year. He kicked 24 goals in 14 matches, including hauls of four and three goals in four games and was held goalless just three times. His last quarter against Hawthorn in Round 2, where he kicked three goals in the final term to finish with four for the game, showed exactly what he’s capable of. I’m really excited to see what he can produce over the next 6-7 years.

I see eight potential stars of the future on this current Bulldogs list, players who have the talent to develop into A or B-grade players, and if they can realise their potential then they will form the nucleus of a seriously good side as they play alongside already established stars Bontempelli (23 years old), Macrae (24), Johannisen (26) and Liberatore (27).

The Bulldogs have gone into this year’s trade period with a plan and have a clear understanding of what their list needs and will address two needs — key position players forward and back through the expected additions of Josh Bruce from St Kilda and Alex Keath from Adelaide.

Bruce is a flexible player who is athletic for his size and has been a good goal kicker for the Saints.

He’ll form a nice partnership with Naughton and Schache and will likely get the second or third defender. This forward line is going to create some serious headaches for opposition coaches in the coming years. I think the Dogs’ pick No.32 is a fair trade.

Keath is an interesting one. He’s shown good signs as a key defender who can intercept mark but he’s only really played one good season, and that was this year.

He will shore up the Dogs’ defence and be the man who can play on the bigger forwards. The Crows will want top dollar for him but I’d offer pick No.44 or a future second or third-round pick.

LIST NEEDS
The Bulldogs’ list is well balanced and has a great spread of top-end, mid-range and developing talent and its two needs — a key forward and key defender — will be met during the trade period.

For depth of talent, I’d love to see another quick and classy goal kicking small forward added, as well as an experienced ruckman to help Tim English.

Overall though, this list is in excellent shape not only for the present but for the future. A big pat on the back goes to the club’s list management and recruiting team.

Old reliable, Jack Macrae just gets the job done for the Dogs. Picture: Michael Klein
Old reliable, Jack Macrae just gets the job done for the Dogs. Picture: Michael Klein
LIST BREAKDOWN
A: Marcus Bontempelli

B+: Jack Macrae, Jason Johannisen

B: Easton Wood, Tom Liberatore

B-: Matt Suckling, Josh Dunkley, Tory Dickson

C+: Mitch Wallis, Lachie Hunter, Jackson Trengove, Hayden Crozier, Toby McLean, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel, Lin Jong, Ben Cavarra, Sam Lloyd, Taylor Duryea, Will Hayes, Billy Gowers

C: Zaine Cordy, Fletcher Roberts, Lukas Webb, Roarke Smith

C-: Nil

Developing*: Josh Schache, Ed Richards, Patrick Lipinski, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Williams, Tim English, Bailey Smith, Rhylee West

Developing: Lewis Young, Callum Porter, Fergus Greene, Brad Lynch, Laitham Vandermeer, Lachie Young, Buku Khamis, Jordon Sweet

Please note: Developing* refers to players aged 21 or under with the talent and potential to become A or B-grade players.

DRAFT STRATEGY
The Bulldogs could come out of the trade period still holding onto their first-round pick, currently No.13, which would be massive given they are addressing their need for a key defender and key forward. I would go best available with that selection, then draft for needs with their later picks, which likely won’t be until the back end of the draft.

CRYSTAL BALL
I’m very confident the Bulldogs will not only be a finals team in 2020 but they will definitely finish top four and challenge for the premiership.

Obviously I can’t predict what sort of luck they’ll have with injuries to key players but if they have a good run then there’s no doubt the Bulldogs will be one of the teams to beat next year.

Get ready for a fun ride, Bulldogs fans.
I am really enjoying the love for the dogs atm, but hope it is not a bad omen for 2020. if we get keath and bruce and pick 13 as best available we will be pretty good if the injury curse stays away. next year i am off to brazil so will make sure i get some MACUMBA DONE. GO DOGS.

I know, but Hunter and Crozier a C+ the same as Trengove, Jong, Cavarra, Hayes and Gowers. Spare me.
Agreed..... I actually don’t really agree with hardly any of his ratings with the exception of maybe Cordy but even then I’m not sure how you could rate him lower than a player like Cavarra who hasn’t even played a game. Bont is an A+ player who just finished a season as the winner of the coaches association player of the year, Macrae made the All Australian team and he rates him a B+, and don’t get me started on Dunkley, Crozier, Hunter etc....

Overall it’s a good article but it was like he just made the ratings up when he was running out of time to get the article finished.

Gary Buckenara analyses the Western Bulldogs’ list after the 2019 season
Gary Buckenara, Herald Sun
October 11, 2019 7:00am
Subscriber only
The Bulldogs are building something special and we could see another piece of silverware heading to Whitten Oval as soon as next year.

I rate the list so highly. We saw glimpses of what this group of players — led by stars Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Jason Johannisen and Easton Wood — is capable of in the second half of the season, despite bowing out in the first week of the finals.

The Bulldogs have been able to overcome adversity in the years since its 2016 premiership and again endured disruptions this season with the retirements of Liam Picken and Tom Boyd and injuries to key players, including Tom Liberatore and Caleb Daniel.

After missing the finals in 2017, the club has been able to rejuvenate its list in the space of two years and I expect Luke Beveridge’s team to be a serious premiership threat in 2020.

The emergence of Aaron Naughton, who is going to be a superstar, Josh Dunkley, Bailey Smith, Ed Richards, Bailey Dale and Tim English has the Bulldogs in the enviable position of having one of the most exciting young lists in the AFL.

The signs for Josh Schache are also positive after struggling at Brisbane and despite being in and out of the senior side this year. He kicked 24 goals in 14 matches, including hauls of four and three goals in four games and was held goalless just three times. His last quarter against Hawthorn in Round 2, where he kicked three goals in the final term to finish with four for the game, showed exactly what he’s capable of. I’m really excited to see what he can produce over the next 6-7 years.

I see eight potential stars of the future on this current Bulldogs list, players who have the talent to develop into A or B-grade players, and if they can realise their potential then they will form the nucleus of a seriously good side as they play alongside already established stars Bontempelli (23 years old), Macrae (24), Johannisen (26) and Liberatore (27).

The Bulldogs have gone into this year’s trade period with a plan and have a clear understanding of what their list needs and will address two needs — key position players forward and back through the expected additions of Josh Bruce from St Kilda and Alex Keath from Adelaide.

Bruce is a flexible player who is athletic for his size and has been a good goal kicker for the Saints.

He’ll form a nice partnership with Naughton and Schache and will likely get the second or third defender. This forward line is going to create some serious headaches for opposition coaches in the coming years. I think the Dogs’ pick No.32 is a fair trade.

Keath is an interesting one. He’s shown good signs as a key defender who can intercept mark but he’s only really played one good season, and that was this year.

He will shore up the Dogs’ defence and be the man who can play on the bigger forwards. The Crows will want top dollar for him but I’d offer pick No.44 or a future second or third-round pick.

LIST NEEDS
The Bulldogs’ list is well balanced and has a great spread of top-end, mid-range and developing talent and its two needs — a key forward and key defender — will be met during the trade period.

For depth of talent, I’d love to see another quick and classy goal kicking small forward added, as well as an experienced ruckman to help Tim English.

Overall though, this list is in excellent shape not only for the present but for the future. A big pat on the back goes to the club’s list management and recruiting team.

LIST BREAKDOWN
A: Marcus Bontempelli

B+: Jack Macrae, Jason Johannisen

B: Easton Wood, Tom Liberatore

B-: Matt Suckling, Josh Dunkley, Tory Dickson

C+: Mitch Wallis, Lachie Hunter, Jackson Trengove, Hayden Crozier, Toby McLean, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel, Lin Jong, Ben Cavarra, Sam Lloyd, Taylor Duryea, Will Hayes, Billy Gowers

C: Zaine Cordy, Fletcher Roberts, Lukas Webb, Roarke Smith

C-: Nil

Developing*: Josh Schache, Ed Richards, Patrick Lipinski, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Williams, Tim English, Bailey Smith, Rhylee West

Developing: Lewis Young, Callum Porter, Fergus Greene, Brad Lynch, Laitham Vandermeer, Lachie Young, Buku Khamis, Jordon Sweet

Please note: Developing* refers to players aged 21 or under with the talent and potential to become A or B-grade players.

DRAFT STRATEGY
The Bulldogs could come out of the trade period still holding onto their first-round pick, currently No.13, which would be massive given they are addressing their need for a key defender and key forward. I would go best available with that selection, then draft for needs with their later picks, which likely won’t be until the back end of the draft.

CRYSTAL BALL
I’m very confident the Bulldogs will not only be a finals team in 2020 but they will definitely finish top four and challenge for the premiership.

Obviously I can’t predict what sort of luck they’ll have with injuries to key players but if they have a good run then there’s no doubt the Bulldogs will be one of the teams to beat next year.

Get ready for a fun ride, Bulldogs fans.
All the ratings make me think he didn’t watch that much of the Dogs last year.

Wood was lucky to get a game for a long stretch. JJ doesn’t excel often enough to be considered one of our best. Meanwhile Crozier has been a revelation. I still don’t understand how he’s so under-rated. He’s a spectacular player but also does the simple things well. What more do you want from the guy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s pretty surprising the level of ignorance Buckenera has, even if not fully aware a quick statistical analysis would surely allow him to dispel some of his more blatant inaccuracies...

suppose he can’t be bothered with that and just pumps the articles out for his paycheque.

it’s a puff piece to promote discussion. Errors make it more provocative. It’s toilet paper.
I mean there's minor errors of interpretation to induce debate, but there's blatantly incorrect statements that render the whole thing pointless, ie, it's so objectively wrong (like the Dunkley/Dickson same tier example I put out) that it just makes the whole article obsolete that nobody wants to engage with it. Honestly, what is the point of the HS publishing it. I don't get it.

I mean there's minor errors of interpretation to induce debate, but there's blatantly incorrect statements that render the whole thing pointless, ie, it's so objectively wrong (like the Dunkley/Dickson same tier example I put out) that it just makes the whole article obsolete that nobody wants to engage with it. Honestly, what is the point of the HS publishing it. I don't get it.
If you live in Melbourne you must surely know that the Herald-Sun (and before that The Sun News Pictorial) has never had accuracy as its main focus. It's about grabbing momentary attention from those with short attention spans.

Ignore it. We should be no more flattered by such articles than we were offended by articles criticising us in past years.

BF makes far better assessments and provides better factual support and reasoning - as long as you are prepared to wade through a lot of fluff and repetition to find it.

If you live in Melbourne you must surely know that the Herald-Sun (and before that The Sun News Pictorial) has never had accuracy as its main focus. It's about grabbing momentary attention from those with short attention spans.

Ignore it. We should be no more flattered by such articles than we were offended by articles criticising us in past years.

BF makes far better assessments and provides better factual support and reasoning - as long as you are prepared to wade through a lot of fluff and repetition to find it.
I seem to remember reading a similar thread about buckys player ratings from the year before. Believe much the same stuff was said then.

I mean surely he’d even do something basic like look at best and fairest results???
Perhaps he saw Wood the same way our coaches did, which was ahead of Crozier

Perhaps he saw Wood the same way our coaches did, which was ahead of Crozier

I doubt that - the fact that he has Dunkley the same level as Dickson is enough to show that isnt at all how he is approaching things.

Take the point that Wood's influence isn't something that can be pinned down by a basic statistical analysis.

It’s pretty surprising the level of ignorance Buckenera has, even if not fully aware a quick statistical analysis would surely allow him to dispel some of his more blatant inaccuracies...

suppose he can’t be bothered with that and just pumps the articles out for his paycheque.

But for some reason he’s considered a guru.

I like the fact he's so different to many other AFL media. IIRC he was the lone voice in having Tom Boyd no 2 in his draft year, backing in a late season bolter named Marcus to be his no 1.

I like the fact he's so different to many other AFL media. IIRC he was the lone voice in having Tom Boyd no 2 in his draft year, backing in a late season bolter named Marcus to be his no 1.
If I Remember Correctly = IIRC, thanks Mofra that's a lot better than what I assumed it meant. I am not that
rude. :$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back