Review 2019 Leadership Group - Changes for next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had no chance of succeeding in 2019 with a rabble of a leadership group.

Heppell, Merrett, Myers, Daniher, Fantasia

Seeing Hurley play with a sore shoulder and literally cry when we lost (as did Hooker), those 2 are the first selected for 2020.

We don't need any prima donnas in 2020.

New Look 2020 Leadership Group
----------------------------------------
In: Hurley, Hooker, Smith (gives 110% for the Club), Ambrose (works his guts out), Saad (one of the few that put in against Eagles)

Dropped: Heppell, Merrett, Myers, Daniher, Fantasia
Heppell and Merrett are not being dropped.

I'd follow the Richmond model (which makes sense with Rutten and Caracella) of a captain and two vice captains, and that's it.

Captain: Heppell
Vice C's: Zerrett and Hurley
Agree 100%

We had no chance of succeeding in 2019 with a rabble of a leadership group.

Heppell, Merrett, Myers, Daniher, Fantasia

Seeing Hurley play with a sore shoulder and literally cry when we lost (as did Hooker), those 2 are the first selected for 2020.

We don't need any prima donnas in 2020.

New Look 2020 Leadership Group
----------------------------------------
In: Hurley, Hooker, Smith (gives 110% for the Club), Ambrose (works his guts out), Saad (one of the few that put in against Eagles)

Dropped: Heppell, Merrett, Myers, Daniher, Fantasia
Smith, Ambrose and Saad all worthy imo.

Smith and Ambrose also have that physical aggression that you actually want to see on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to see raz and joe staying in the group. Besides joe currently not wanting to play for the club it seems he could do without the extra attention. Possibly similar for raz.

Yeah it’s a no brainer that Joe & Raz step down. I think just having them focus on fitness & footy is the goal.

Dev/Shiel/Saad seem like logical candidates to replace them for me.
Would make sense to have a few that haven’t been fully Essendoned in there. Also seems ridiculous to not have hooker or Hurley in there.

Heppell is a nice kid and everybody likes him. Is he a great leader though?

We are a perennial disappointment. I don't know why we treat the captaincy as a position set in stone. The captain should share some of the blame.

If we want to move forward as a football club then change is required. I'd recommend that a new captain and fresh leadership group, completely detached from the supplement scandal, should feature along with the shift towards Rutten.
Although I agree with some of your points, I’m not sure we have enough leaders to choose from. Only person I feel could captain the club outside of Heppell is Merrett but he really stunk it up in the final. The captain needs to show the most effort of every player and be the most selfless in every game they take the field.

I'm not fussed on Merrett as a leader. Just seems a pretty meh communicator. Prefer Shiel and Saad.

Devon Smith leads by example but not sure if he is much of a connector of people. You need leaders who will bring the youngsters along.

But of course I'm basing this on what we see... inside the club, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back