Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If thats the case, i think you can forget having a team. I think one of the major reasons a team hasnt been offered already is the level of government funding thats going to be required and maintained through its various commercial and government arms, and Government trying to have a say in the operation of the football team itself is going to be a non starter with the league.

Any chance Tas could take a leaf out of the WA template? Government involvement to offer clean cheap stadium deals, not run the clubs.

Any chance Tas could take a leaf out of the WA template? Government involvement to offer clean cheap stadium deals, not run the clubs.

yeah thats definitely the way I would see it going. If they can get a WA/Geelong type stadium deal - and they should - that would be ideal.

Honestly Id prefer to see a license in Tasmania with a Tasmanian Football Commission (like the WAFC) being able to collect royalties and spend it on local footy. The WAFL, after some teething issues, really did get it right in terms of sustainability and delivering benefits to the comp, while allowing the AFL teams representation on the WAFC.

Wont happen though - the league will do the same thing its done in Western Sydney and Gold Coast again.

The State Government would have no roll in trying to run an AFL club. They help Cricket Tasmania but don't run it Why would they want to?

They might have various stipulations around community involvement, behaviour codes & the like. That'd be about it.

Probable active years of birth as of 2024 (Tassie's first possible draft) along with earliest year of debut possible and that player's age:

2008 (U16.) (2027.) (16.)
2007 (U18's and underage.) (2026.) (17.)
2006 (U18's and draft eligible.) (2025.) (18.)
2005. (U18's, over age or first season in the seniors.) (2024.) (19.)
2004. (2nd season at the max.) (2023.) (20.)
2003. (3rd season at the max.) (2022.) (21.)
2002. (4th season at the max.) (2021.) (22.)
2001. (5th season at the max.) (2020.) (23.)
2000. (6th season at the max.) (2019.) (24.)
1999. (7th season at the max.) (2018.) (25.)
1998. (8th season at the max.) (2017.) (26.)
1997. (9th season at the max.) (2016.) (27.)
1996. (10th season at the max.) (2015.) (28.)
1995. (11th season at the max.) (2014.) (29.)
1994. (12th season at the max.) (2013.) (30.)
1993. (13th season at the max.) (2012.) (31.)
1992. (14th season at the max.) (2011.) (32.)
1991. (16th season at the max.) (2009.) (33.)
1990. (17th season at the max.) (2008.) (34.)
1989. (18th season at the max.) (2007.) (35.)
1988. (19th season at the max.) (2006.) (36.)
1987. (20st season at the max.) (2005.) (37.)

Scouting for talent should start about now and should have about twelve 16 year old players born in the January-April 2007 window signed up in 2023 as well as zoned players.

Hugh Dixon, who Fremantle drafted in 2017, is a name that should be at the front of any Tassie recruiters' minds.
He could be their No. 1 forward and, at 25, would be right in his prime.

Perhaps players born in the mid '90's would serve as leaders and experienced voices.

If thats the case, i think you can forget having a team. I think one of the major reasons a team hasnt been offered already is the level of government funding thats going to be required and maintained through its various commercial and government arms, and Government trying to have a say in the operation of the football team itself is going to be a non starter with the league.
No
yeah thats definitely the way I would see it going. If they can get a WA/Geelong type stadium deal - and they should - that would be ideal.

Honestly Id prefer to see a license in Tasmania with a Tasmanian Football Commission (like the WAFC) being able to collect royalties and spend it on local footy. The WAFL, after some teething issues, really did get it right in terms of sustainability and delivering benefits to the comp, while allowing the AFL teams representation on the WAFC.

Wont happen though - the league will do the same thing its done in Western Sydney and Gold Coast again.
yeah i agree. With the government they have already said there will be two clean stadium deals Which will be a good help they have also suggested the money currently going to hawthorn and north for there deals 8 million a year would also go to a local team to have those two things is a great start

No

yeah i agree. With the government they have already said there will be two clean stadium deals Which will be a good help they have also suggested the money currently going to hawthorn and north for there deals 8 million a year would also go to a local team to have those two things is a great start
. The team needs to be able to stand on its own two feet,it won't go down well with the Tasmanian public if they are partly funding a team year after year.It would be a bad start straight away if you require government to keep the team running,no other state governments partly fund national league teams.

. The team needs to be able to stand on its own two feet,it won't go down well with the Tasmanian public if they are partly funding a team year after year.It would be a bad start straight away if you require government to keep the team running,no other state governments partly fund national league teams.

Fund? Its called sponsorship.

Such sponsorship in sport is given in exchange for the economic & social benefits the State wishes to benefit from.

Why do state Governments spend money on attracting businesses or 'events'?? The example being Formula one in Melbourne they stole from Adelaide.. I'm sure people can think of lots of others.

Which states don't spend $mega millions on stadiums etc? Its the same thing.

So its about Economic benefit & social benefit. Tourism etc etc.

See my post #981 above, & link from The Age.
C. Wilson wrote that, per year "Tasmania... contributes an estimated $10,000,000 to the the Hawks and Kangaroos".
Therefore the Tasmanian taxpayer is already making significant contributions for Melbourne clubs.

As the AFL crowd attendances have dropped significantly in recent years, it appears the Tas. AF public have tired of funding these parasites, as the VFL/AFL have contributed directly to the neglect of GR AF in Tasmania, & its elite pathways.

I am assuming Tasmanians will want their govt. to partially fund, instead, their own AFL team. The Bid team have stated they are very confident of also obtaining very significant private sponsorship funding, from private sources outside of Tasmania- who seek national exposure for their companies, from a Tas. team playing in a nationally-televised League. In 2008, Mars was the major sponsor for the Bid team .

Last edited:

Such sponsorship in sport is given in exchange for the economic & social benefits the State wishes to benefit from.

Why do state Governments spend money on attracting businesses or 'events'?? The example being Formula one in Melbourne they stole from Adelaide.. I'm sure people can think of lots of others.

Yes I know why government fund events,I just believe it's a bit different if they are having to fund a national league team on a permanent basis,it's a bit different to paying for one off sporting events.l know it brings big dollars into the local economy,but I just believe it needs to be able to stand on its own two feet and if it can't then maybe we shouldn't have a team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I know why government fund events,I just believe it's a bit different if they are having to fund a national league team on a permanent basis,it's a bit different to paying for one off sporting events.l know it brings big dollars into the local economy,but I just believe it needs to be able to stand on its own two feet and if it can't then maybe we shouldn't have a team.

Most sport wouldn't happen if it weren't for government support, local, state & probably federal money as well. Certainly here York Park & Bellerive Oval wouldn't exist.

Who paid for the MCG as it is? Victorian State Government.

Who pays for athlete development & sends athletes to the Olympic games? The tax payer does.

Who pays for public transport? It loses heaps of money. Its not self sustaining. But without it Melbourne & Sydney at least would be at a standstill.

Its about the cost benefit analysis of the economic & social factors, & politicians buying support.

Most sport wouldn't happen if it weren't for government support, local, state & probably federal money as well. Certainly here York Park & Bellerive Oval wouldn't exist.

Well technically for the most part it was the MCC and the AFL paying the MCC that built the MCG.

I

Who pays for athlete development & sends athletes to the Olympic games? The tax payer does.

Who pays for public transport? It loses heaps of money. Its not self sustaining. But without it Melbourne & Sydney at least would be at a standstill.

Its about the cost benefit analysis of the economic & social factors, & politicians buying support.
I know about the different things the government put in for sport,but should they be paying to keep a national league team running on a permanent basis,does the Vic government put in a certain amount to keep all the Melbourne AFL teams going?

I think you’re missing my point I agree the team 100% needs to be financially viable on its own no arguments there but Tasmania is very unique the tourism benefits we get from sponsoring hawthorn and north would be ten fold for a local team a small investment buy our government would pay for its easily

Couldn’t have said it better my self the old saying have to spend money 💰 to make money!

C. Wilson wrote that, per year "Tasmania... contributes an estimated $10,000,000 to the the Hawks and Kangaroos".
Therefore the Tasmanian taxpayer is already making significant contributions for Melbourne clubs.

As the AFL crowd attendances have dropped significantly in recent years, it appears the Tas. AF public have tired of funding these parasites, as the VFL/AFL have contributed directly to the neglect of GR AF in Tasmania, & its elite pathways.

I am assuming Tasmanians will want their govt. to partially fund, instead, their own AFL team. The Bid team have stated they are very confident of also obtaining very significant private sponsorship funding, from private sources outside of Tasmania- who seek national exposure for their companies, from a Tas. team playing in a nationally-televised League. In 2008, Mars was the major sponsor for the Bid team .
No one is saying it needs to happen on a permanent basis but if government support can help get the bid over the line and give them a bit of a flying start for the first 5-10 years the most difficult period for a new club until its stable then I don’t see the problem with it and you would think the afl would be happy knowing the club has strong support from government look at the suns they got the opposite from the Queensland gov and look how that’s turned out !

You mean the mainland taxpayer because the Tasmanian government is dependent of money redistributed from the other states?

No one is saying it needs to happen on a permanent basis but if government support can help get the bid over the line and give them a bit of a flying start for the first 5-10 years the most difficult period for a new club until its stable then I don’t see the problem with it and you would think the afl would be happy knowing the club has strong support from government look at the suns they got the opposite from the Queensland gov and look how that’s turned out !
Fair enough,I'm hoping we get a team just as much as any one else,my whole family plan on buying memberships from day one.

Maybe, but for 'some' reason, in 2018 Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews announced $500,000,000 for the MCG & Etihad.

Nice of Government to hand that sort of money out. :)

Actually he didnt. He announced no funding for the MCG at all. He did announce $225 million for Etihad - which Ill note is about 10 million a year for each grand final in the extended period, about what the NSW Gov pays for the NRL Grand Final at the moment.

The 500 million was for all the sporting funding that included an additional 242 million in funding for
  • $64.6 million for a major upgrade to the State Netball and Hockey Centre
  • $20 million to redevelop Ikon Park into the home of women’s football
  • $15 million for the Female Friendly Facilities Fund to boost access for women and girls across Victoria
  • $13 million for Stage 2 of the Moorabbin Oval redevelopment, to enable the Saints AFLW team to play there from 2020
  • $10 million to improve playing conditions at Casey Fields and Whitten Oval for AFLW competition
  • $2 million for infrastructure upgrades for AFLW clubs at Victoria Park
  • $15.4 million to go towards upgrades at Albert Park, Yarra Bend and other key suburban sporting precincts
  • $17.7 million for the Significant Sporting Events Program, which will fund more than 75 national and international sporting events every year – more than half of them in regional Victoria.
  • $60 million for community sporting grants and $5 million for Community Sports Infrastructure Loans, which will unlock up to $100 million to upgrade local facilities.

Actually he didnt. He announced no funding for the MCG at all. He did announce $225 million for Etihad - which Ill note is about 10 million a year for each grand final in the extended period, about what the NSW Gov pays for the NRL Grand Final at the moment.

The 500 million was for all the sporting funding that included an additional 242 million in funding for
  • $64.6 million for a major upgrade to the State Netball and Hockey Centre
  • $20 million to redevelop Ikon Park into the home of women’s football
  • $15 million for the Female Friendly Facilities Fund to boost access for women and girls across Victoria
  • $13 million for Stage 2 of the Moorabbin Oval redevelopment, to enable the Saints AFLW team to play there from 2020
  • $10 million to improve playing conditions at Casey Fields and Whitten Oval for AFLW competition
  • $2 million for infrastructure upgrades for AFLW clubs at Victoria Park
  • $15.4 million to go towards upgrades at Albert Park, Yarra Bend and other key suburban sporting precincts
  • $17.7 million for the Significant Sporting Events Program, which will fund more than 75 national and international sporting events every year – more than half of them in regional Victoria.
  • $60 million for community sporting grants and $5 million for Community Sports Infrastructure Loans, which will unlock up to $100 million to upgrade local facilities.

MCG apart then, I got that off a news article. It just confirms what I said about sports/clubs & events are dependent on Government of all levels.

The reason being the economic & social benefit derived. And some votes.:)

MCG apart then, I got that off a news article. It just confirms what I said about sports/clubs & events are dependent on Government of all levels.

The reason being the economic & social benefit derived. And some votes.:)

The big question is what happens if a Tasmanian government wants to cease being a sponsor, for whatever reason. How many $$$ is a typical sponsorship deal, in comparison to what the Tasmanian Government would be contributing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back