Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Collingwood drew inspiration from the South Australia kit of the 1890's and early 1900's https://www.footyjumpers.com/images/SA-1891.png
These predate the Port Adelaide Prison bars which came onto the scene in 1902.
Ah yeah. I'm forbidden from viewing the link, but cheers.

I've only ever heard port fans going on about the pies stealing the bars and the magpie from them. Always assumed it to be true. Bit more nuanced it seems.

Ah yeah. I'm forbidden from viewing the link, but cheers.

I've only ever heard port fans going on about the pies stealing the bars and the magpie from them. Always assumed it to be true. Bit more nuanced it seems.

It seems the link for the 1891 uniform is broken? Mero

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
All these years, all these port fans telling me collingwood ripped everything off them, and now refuse to play nice and let port have anything back.

If that was a lie, what else have the port fans lied about? Do they actually really love Hinkley?

All these years, all these port fans telling me collingwood ripped everything off them, and now refuse to play nice and let port have anything back.

If that was a lie, what else have the port fans lied about? Do they actually really love Hinkley?
1570853521346.png

Also here's confirmation from footyjumpers.com that PB's first used by Port in 1902.

Yeah but they can't let facts get in the way of a good argument
Indeed, it certainly does help to know the history behind these jumpers.
I don't think those Port fans were attempting to decieve you on purpose. I'd hope you find most of them in the know that Collingwood didn't rip the black and white from PA (rather inspired from the SA design), while their main contention rests with whether they should be able to wear them in the AFL, an entirely different topic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't think of any other Heritage jumper ideas for Port
Allegedly they're going for something like this next year to commemorate their very first jumper in 1870:

Port-1870.gif

Though Magenta/Pink was worn for a fair while from 1877-1901, so who knows if that's more appropriate (ruling out PB's as it's been said somewhere that they're only wearing them for Showdowns IIRC).

On another note, Mero do you happen to know why Port changed from Magenta to the PB's in the first place? Did they simply like the look of the SA jumpers of the time?

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s

It seems the link for the 1891 uniform is broken? Mero
It's working for me.
You should be able to click on the image from that link and get the larger version

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Allegedly they're going for something like this next year to commemorate their very first jumper in 1870:

Port-1870.gif

Though Magenta/Pink was worn for a fair while from 1877-1901, so who knows if that's more appropriate (ruling out PB's as it's been said somewhere that they're only wearing them for Showdowns IIRC).

On another note, Mero do you happen to know why Port changed from Magenta to the PB's in the first place? Did they simply like the look of the SA jumpers of the time?
I don't know if there was a definitive answer.
I've heard they were regarded as more representative of Port Adelaide.
The white stripes represented the white pylons of the wharves.
However, I don't know if that was the initial brief or someone's interpretation after the design was used.
1570899717687.png

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Port-1870.gif

The colour change was only made because we were having problems sourcing decent magenta dye at the time. Pretty funny really.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
The colour change was only made because we were having problems sourcing decent magenta dye at the time. Pretty funny really.
Quite possible.
90% of commercial dye in the world up until WW2 was made in Germany.
(The main suppliers, Bayer & BASF are still massive companies today)
The Boer War was under way, maybe there was an issue getting ships to deliver it to Australia.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back