Teammates that didn't like each other

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably been mentioned as old ongoing thread.

Leigh Matthews and Don Scott went about their business, played well together but they didn’t speak to each other.

As Leigh once said, we didn’t have anything to say to each other so we didn’t.... didn’t affect their games.
Punching different clocks those 2 .

That was just the straw that broke the camels back.

All year he was sooky, whiny, disloyal, two-faced and a troublemaker around the club, and it all came to a head after that game (and on Mad Monday).

In usual Justin Murphy form, he turned up at Mad Monday (after being told he wasn't welcome) and tried to act like everyone's mate (all the while he was trying to get traded back to Carlton).
He was told numerous times to ____ off, and wouldn't take the hint, so Scarlett took him outside and gave him a hiding.

It's a shame really because Murphy was a gifted footballer, but he was just soft and a pretty poor bloke (hence why he was traded 4 times)

Scarlett should have been charged with assault to be honest.

Dog act

The way he carried on about Nick Maxwell when he retired shows the class of the bloke.

Would suggest that six All Australians and three premierships probably shows his class a bit more.

Scarlett's an abrasive personality, everyone knows that. But how did he "carry on" about Maxwell? It wasn't like he was holding press conferences or hijacking interviews: he put a bit of context through his biography to some of his actions during the 2011 grand final and why he and others felt there was a score to settle with Maxwell in particular. Who's buying the book? Geelong supporters. What do they want? Well from Scarlett, some clarity and his perspective on incidents like this and considering his pull no punches personality, some appraisals of his former teammates and opponents would be good too. Who he rated, who he didn't.

Then people in the media buy the book, look for anything which could be considered slightly juicy, contact the other party and his current and past teammates for a comment and perhaps milk another story or two out of it.

I can't remember Scarlett saying anything besides what's in the book about Maxwell or their interactions in the 2010-11 finals since then. I haven't read the book in a long time, but I remember being a bit disappointed really. It wasn't particularly interesting.

Would suggest that six All Australians and three premierships probably shows his class a bit more.

Scarlett's an abrasive personality, everyone knows that. But how did he "carry on" about Maxwell? It wasn't like he was holding press conferences or hijacking interviews: he put a bit of context through his biography to some of his actions during the 2011 grand final and why he and others felt there was a score to settle with Maxwell in particular. Who's buying the book? Geelong supporters. What do they want? Well from Scarlett, some clarity and his perspective on incidents like this and considering his pull no punches personality, some appraisals of his former teammates and opponents would be good too. Who he rated, who he didn't.

Then people in the media buy the book, look for anything which could be considered slightly juicy, contact the other party and his current and past teammates for a comment and perhaps milk another story or two out of it.

I can't remember Scarlett saying anything besides what's in the book about Maxwell or their interactions in the 2010-11 finals since then. I haven't read the book in a long time, but I remember being a bit disappointed really. It wasn't particularly interesting.

Oh. So 6 x AA 3x Premiership player gives you the right to assault a guy.

Ok

Oh. So 6 x AA 3x Premiership player gives you the right to assault a guy.

Ok

Of course not. I was responding to a completely different incident.

The version that I've heard from the Mad Monday incident is that it was a follow on from Murphy's open displeasure at the Milburn incident in the last game of the season. For what it's worth, my mood was pretty much the same as Murphy's at the time. It was understandable. But... you burn bridges doing that publicly, you're not part of the club.

Murphy was told not to come to the end of season function, he showed up anyway, he was told repeatedly to leave and ignored those requests and ultimately Scarlett took him outside and the rest is history. Hardly heroic from Scarlett, but not exactly a coward punch either. Perhaps if Scarlett had been a female and Murphy had a blowtorch handy, he would have given a better account of himself.

Last edited:
Of course not. I was responding to a completely different incident.

The version that I've heard from the Mad Monday incident is that it was a follow on from Murphy's open displeasure at the Milburn incident in the last game of the season. For what it's worth, my mood was pretty much the same as Murphy's at the time. It was understandable. But... you burn bridges doing that publicly, you're not part of the club.

Murphy was told not to come to the end of season function, he showed up anyway, he was told repeatedly to leave and ignored those requests and ultimately Scarlett took him outside and the rest is history. Hardly heroic from Scarlett, but not exactly a coward punch either. Perhaps if Scarlett had been a female and Murphy had a blowtorch handy, he would have given a better account of himself.

You defended a bloke by his playing record .

And bashing a guy unconscious is not ok. Even if the guy wasn’t welcome.

And by the way. I’ve never defended Murphy. He’s a grub too. But to defend Scarlett is interesting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back