Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

What in the actual f*** !?! So Darryl 'Daisy' Borlase's son is tied to the crows and is a potential top 10 pick next year. How the hell is this even able to happen ?!? 😡

I'd be shocked if he's anywhere near the top 10

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
What in the actual f*** !?! So Darryl 'Daisy' Borlase's son is tied to the crows and is a potential top 10 pick next year. How the hell is this even able to happen ?!? 😡

1. The Victorian teams bitch to the AFL about the northern teams having academies.

2. The AFL gives all the clubs "Next Generation Academies" which are designed to promote football for players from backgrounds which aren't traditionally well represented at AFL level.

3. Naturally, this is used by the clubs primarily to recruit players who have grown up living and breathing footy who just happen to qualify for whatever reason.

4. 4x Port Adelaide premiership player and 246 gamer Daisy Borlase works in the agriculture industry after his career and spends a short time living in the Egypt, where his son James is born.

5. James lives in a zone which is tied to the Crows and qualifies because he was born in Egypt, despite moving over as a young child and living and breathing footy his entire life.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1. The Victorian teams bitch to the AFL about the northern teams having academies.

2. The AFL gives all the clubs "Next Generation Academies" which are designed to promote football for players from backgrounds which aren't traditionally well represented at AFL level.

3. Naturally, this is used by the clubs primarily to recruit players who have grown up living and breathing footy who just happen to qualify for whatever reason.

4. 4x Port Adelaide premiership player and 246 gamer Daisy Borlase works in the agriculture industry after his career and spends a short time living in the Egypt, where his son James is born.

5. James lives in a zone which is tied to the Crows and qualifies because he was born in Egypt, despite moving over as a young child and living and breathing footy his entire life.
But that doesnt stop him from still being a father/son! Surely as in the case of players who have played 100 games for two different clubs, the first club's father/son rights are not discarded in the process, giving the second club sole rights? Instead, the the son is allowed to choose which club he wishes to go with.

We should be picketing AFL house until they include Port in this, and allow the lad to nominate one of the two clubs

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
I've only seen Schofield play a few times- U18 Grand Final being one. Seemed to me he played as an Inside Mid/Forward rather than an Outside Mid. What position can we expect him to play when he matures?

Jace Burgoyne seems like a winger. Jones seems like a Shannon Hurn type. Anyone who has seen them more than me- have I got their likely positions right?

But that doesnt stop him from still being a father/son! Surely as in the case of players who have played 100 games for two different clubs, the first club's father/son rights are not discarded in the process, giving the second club sole rights? Instead, the the son is allowed to choose which club he wishes to go with.

We should be picketing AFL house until they include Port in this, and allow the lad to nominate one of the two clubs
Not totally across it, so someone can correct it, but I reckon Daisy needed to play like 300 games to qualify his son, or some BS like that.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not totally across it, so someone can correct it, but I reckon Daisy needed to play like 300 games to qualify his son, or some BS like that.
Why would Koch and Keith fight for Port to have Father-Son selections simply be 100 games for Port (whether Magpies, Power or a combination), with no rights to anyone else from other SANFL clubs, as symbolic of our 150th meant to be a celebration of our history? I mean we can have a bastardised logo with Teal instead!

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
200 games between certain dates (?why) so that not even Russell Ebert's son qualified under the rule. The unfairest rule implemented since the holocaust.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
As part of our 150 year stuff, we should be lobbying the AFL to bring Port into line with the rest of the VFL clubs and have only ex Magpie/ Power as F/S and to bring the games back down to 100.

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As part of our 150 year stuff, we should be lobbying the AFL to bring Port into line with the rest of the VFL clubs and have only ex Magpie/ Power as F/S and to bring the games back down to 100.
Would be nice, but it's kind of too late now. Borlase and co are the tail end of Magpies that would become eligible.

The set up was essentially engineered so that the WA/SA clubs would get pretty much zero access to any F/S picks. And now that we are getting some eligible fathers from their AFL careers, they are looking at reducing/removing the discount system (which in itself is already a watered down version of the original rules).

The whole thing is a farce.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Trent Burgoyne, son of Port Adelaide premiership star Peter Burgoyne, looms as mystery prospect ahead of AFL draft

He was in the middle of Port Adelaide’s premiership celebrations on the MCG after his dad starred on grand final day.
But Trent Burgoyne – the son of Power flag winner Peter Burgoyne and nephew of Hawthorn champion Shaun Burgoyne – is looming as a mystery prospect ahead of next month’s AFL national draft.

The Power have access to Trent, 18, as a father/son selection and they are understood to be very keen on the smooth-moving wingman/half-forward from Woodville-West Torrens.

A quandary for other clubs who weigh up a potential bid for him is they do not have a lot to judge him on this year. In fact, Trent played just one half of football this past season due to issues with his left hamstring. He has torn that hamstring four times in about 12 months, including twice in 2019, missing the Eagles’ under-18 premiership this year and last.

There has been some scepticism from rival recruiters about whether Port might have asked Trent, who is a member of its father/son academy, to sit on the sidelines during the back half of 2019, so he could fly under the radar.

Trent was on show for scouts on Saturday when he was one of 24 players testing at the SA draft combine at Prince Alfred College.

200 games between certain dates (?why) so that not even Russell Ebert's son qualified under the rule. The unfairest rule implemented since the holocaust.
How incompetent and negligent did the previous club custodians have to be to not run a couple sums just to QC and, oh I dunno, make sure thatcat least the greatest and most decorated player in our club's history was eligible?

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
Trent Burgoyne, son of Port Adelaide premiership star Peter Burgoyne, looms as mystery prospect ahead of AFL draft

He was in the middle of Port Adelaide’s premiership celebrations on the MCG after his dad starred on grand final day.
But Trent Burgoyne – the son of Power flag winner Peter Burgoyne and nephew of Hawthorn champion Shaun Burgoyne – is looming as a mystery prospect ahead of next month’s AFL national draft.

The Power have access to Trent, 18, as a father/son selection and they are understood to be very keen on the smooth-moving wingman/half-forward from Woodville-West Torrens.

A quandary for other clubs who weigh up a potential bid for him is they do not have a lot to judge him on this year. In fact, Trent played just one half of football this past season due to issues with his left hamstring. He has torn that hamstring four times in about 12 months, including twice in 2019, missing the Eagles’ under-18 premiership this year and last.

There has been some scepticism from rival recruiters about whether Port might have asked Trent, who is a member of its father/son academy, to sit on the sidelines during the back half of 2019, so he could fly under the radar.

Trent was on show for scouts on Saturday when he was one of 24 players testing at the SA draft combine at Prince Alfred College.

LOL what a load of bullshit, he's not that good to hide , campaigners

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

What a load of ******* bullshit. I can’t believe they printed that s**t.

trent was viewed as a sub 177cm small forward rookie pick years back when he was injured and not getting on the park.
Like port would ask a guy viewed as a rookie pick to sit out the better part of two years

the reporter that suggested this ought to be humiliated, sacked and ostracised such is the poor judgment and sheer stupidity of such a suggestion.
I’ll wager that no genuine recruiter has ever suggested such and if I met this so called reporter would love to challenge him on this.
It’s behind a paywall so I can’t see what numbskull put his name to that crap.

What a w***er

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
What a load of ******* bullshit. I can’t believe they printed that s**t.

trent was viewed as a sub 177cm small forward rookie pick years back when he was injured and not getting on the park.
Like port would ask a guy viewed as a rookie pick to sit out the better part of two years

the reporter that suggested this ought to be humiliated, sacked and ostracised such is the poor judgment and sheer stupidity of such a suggestion.
I’ll wager that no genuine recruiter has ever suggested such and if I met this so called reporter would love to challenge him on this.
It’s behind a paywall so I can’t see what numbskull put his name to that crap.

What a w***er

Matt Turner, The Advertiser

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
LOL what a load of bullshit, he's not that good to hide , campaigners
We just need to nominate Trent as a potential father-son pick and we'll likely auto draft him as a rookie when the national draft concludes. Worst case scenario we match a late bid on him and he goes to our senior list for two years on a small salary.

It'll be nice to bring in two father-son selections this year with T.Burgoyne and J.Mead.

Is NGA the same as father son? Could James just not nominate his NGA status at the draft?
I don't know if that's possible. If NGA is anything like the northern academies then James would only have the choice if he was eligible as a father-son selection for another club (Nick Blakey and Bailey Scott are recent examples of this). Having said that, we always knew James was ineligible for us as a father-son selection so we haven't lost anything here. Just feels like we have because he'll likely become a Crow.

On the bright side, we'll be able to draft Taj Schofield next year and he's rated as a top 30/40 prospect so we'll still have a talented father-son pick coming to us in 2020. Then we have Jase Burgoyne, Will Francou and Tex Wanganeen coming through the following year.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The list of father-son prospects earlier in the thread was missing some names. Below has more names included in bold.

2019 - Trent Burgoyne
2019 - Jackson Mead
2020 - Oscar Lade
2020 - Owen Montgomery
2020 - Taj Schofield
2020 - Noah Wilson
2021 - Jace Burgoyne
2021 - Will Francou
2021 - Tex Wanganeen (also FS eligible for Essendon)
2022 - Harper Montgomery
2023 - Oliver Francou
2023 - Jack Lade
2024 - Ky Burgoyne (also FS eligible for Hawthorn)
2024 - Rome Burgoyne
2024 - Eddy Cornes
2025 - Jake Bishop
2025 - Ben Francou
2025 - Darcy Thurstans
2025 - Gillon Wakelin (also FS eligible for St Kilda)
2025 - Charlie Wilson
2025 - Tom Wilson

2026 - Raphael Cornes
2026 - Louis Salopek
2026 - Nate Tredrea
2026 - Tevita Rodan
2027 - Percy Burgoyne (also FS eligible for Hawthorn)
2027 - Sonny Cornes
2028 - Jordan Pearce (also FS eligible for Fremantle)
2028 - Max Salopek

2028 - Leo Tredrea
2029 - Bodi Westhoff
2030 - Maikeli Rodan
2031 - Beau Schulz
2032 - Tomasi Rodan
2033 - Jack Dew
2033 - Anthony Surjan
2033 - Zander Surjan
2033 - Alipate Carlile Jr
2033 - Jude Carr
2033 - Jack Dew
2034 - Billy Salopek
2035 - Arlo Carr

2035 - Leo Ebert
2036 - Ed Salopek
2037 - Remi Westhoff

Special mention to Zane Fiacchi (father George played 236 SANFL games for us between 1985-1997) who may be father-son eligible for us in 2022. George must have fulfilled the 200 SANFL game quota prior to us joining the AFL in 1997 so that would mean his son Zane is eligible for father-son status with us, right?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
The list of father-son prospects earlier in the thread was missing some names. Below has more names included in bold.

2019 - Trent Burgoyne
2019 - Jackson Mead
2020 - Oscar Lade
2020 - Owen Montgomery
2020 - Taj Schofield
2020 - Noah Wilson
2021 - Jace Burgoyne
2021 - Will Francou
2021 - Tex Wanganeen (also FS eligible for Essendon)
2022 - Harper Montgomery
2023 - Oliver Francou
2023 - Jack Lade
2024 - Ky Burgoyne (also FS eligible for Hawthorn)
2024 - Rome Burgoyne
2024 - Eddy Cornes
2025 - Jake Bishop
2025 - Ben Francou
2025 - Darcy Thurstans
2025 - Gillon Wakelin (also FS eligible for St Kilda)
2025 - Charlie Wilson
2025 - Tom Wilson

2026 - Raphael Cornes
2026 - Louis Salopek
2026 - Nate Tredrea
2026 - Tevita Rodan
2027 - Sonny Cornes
2028 - Jordan Pearce (also FS eligible for Fremantle)
2028 - Max Salopek

2028 - Leo Tredrea
2029 - Bodi Westhoff
2030 - Maikeli Rodan
2031 - Beau Schulz
2032 - Tomasi Rodan
2033 - Jack Dew
2033 - Anthony Surjan
2033 - Zander Surjan
2033 - Alipate Carlile Jr
2033 - Jude Carr
2033 - Jack Dew
2034 - Billy Salopek
2035 - Arlo Carr

2035 - Leo Ebert
2036 - Ed Salopek
2037 - Remi Westhoff

Special mention to Zane Fiacchi (father George played 236 SANFL games for us between 1985-1997) who may be father-son eligible for us in 2022. George must have fulfilled the 200 SANFL game quota prior to us joining the AFL in 1997 so that would mean his son Zane is eligible for father-son status with us, right?
Better start trading future picks for the 6 players in the 2025 draft.

Back