Opinion Which players are worth pick 1?

Who would you trade this year's first pick for?

• De Goey

Votes: 82 30.4%
  • Bontempelli

Votes: 207 76.7%
  • P.Cripps

Votes: 218 80.7%
  • L.Neale

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • D.Martin

Votes: 157 58.1%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 152 56.3%
  • J.Cameron

Votes: 130 48.1%
  • T.Greene

Votes: 45 16.7%
  • C.Cameron

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • H.Andrews

Votes: 47 17.4%
  • L.Whitfield

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Dangerfield

Votes: 66 24.4%
  • B.Brown

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • A.Naughton

Votes: 62 23.0%
  • C.Rozee

Votes: 38 14.1%
  • J.Gresham

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • N.Blakey

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • J.McGovern

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • B.Grundy

Votes: 141 52.2%
  • Max Gawn

Votes: 54 20.0%
  • Tom Lynch

Votes: 65 24.1%
  • Josh Kelly

Votes: 99 36.7%
  • Isaac Heeney

Votes: 36 13.3%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 82 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As far as I know, no single player has ever been traded in a straight swap for pick 1. It was recently rumoured that Treloar could be on the table for pick 1. It's not going to happen, it seems, but I've often felt that draft picks (even the first) are still an overrated gamble, and that if I was a list manager with pick one, I'd go to town.

So this is an invitation to go to town. Who is worth pick one this year?

Edit: I changed this to a poll, I tried to think of all players who might be worth pick 1. If you have a suggestion, I'll add it.

Last edited:

You would want more than just pick 1 for those players, u would want more than 1 for Sam Walsh

The O/P post never stipulated anything about extras.....Just who would demand pick 1.

Sam Walsh aint in the same convo as those players as yet.....But he's off to a good start.

Less than half your list would secure pick 1.

Martin
Fyfe
It'd have to be a pretty poor draft to give up pick 1 for a 28 year old, especially when a club with pick 1 is pretty unlikely to be pushing for a flag in the close future, which you'd need to be if giving up 1 for 28 year olds.

The O/P post never stipulated anything about extras.....Just who would demand pick 1.

Sam Walsh aint in the same convo as those players as yet.....But he's off to a good start.
He’s not, but he is 100% worth pick 1- pick 1 is a gamble (a short priced one- but still a gamble). Given his performance to date- u have to say he’s worth pick 1 (if not a little more)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think part of why the number one pick rarely gets traded is that the bottom club is almost always beginning a rebuild... therefore getting elite talent in their prime is pointless.

But I'm one of maybe very few that looks at GC's trade for Lachie Weller as pretty even. It sounds crazy, because he was so 'unproven', but so was Andy Brayshaw, and there's not a lot between them in age. Both look like being decent, but not game-changing players for their clubs. In addition, Weller wants to be there.

Too many of those are too old imo

As I suspected, most fans really seem to have an irrational fascination with pick 1. Historically it just doesn’t yield the best player in the draft class, and often not even close.

Consider all the players listed... only one top pick among them. They are best/most valuable players in the league and the vast majority were taken outside the top ten.

Back