Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Mod Notice:-

Continued from here:-

Just like to thank Aphrodite and the other Carlton mods who started the Bluemours NON Discussion Thread and who have kept it free of chat over the past few years.

It helps so much when you just don't have the time to read through this thread, cheers and great job.

Adrain is chest beating however IMHO will buckle and blink on Wednesday.
A player is not kept aganist his wishes especially on3 year before he becomes a RFA. It woukd be a foolhardy thing for Adrian to restrict Daniher to remain at the EFC.
There is the other possibility that Dodoro may be quietly crapping his pants....if Daniher goes, and they are only left with McKernan, Brown and Stewart as their remaining tall forward options, the Board would be well within their rights to ask the question about their overall list management.

AND their first pick this year is currently 31....which will slide even further after the academy, f/s's etc, so have no trade currency except if they dip into future picks again.

So it's no wonder why Dodo's asking for a quality player, because their current situation is completely ****ed...

There is the other possibility that Dodoro may be quietly crapping his pants....if Daniher goes, and they are only left with McKernan, Brown and Stewart as their remaining tall forward options, the Board would be well within their rights to ask the question about their overall list management.

AND their first pick this year is currently 31....which will slide even further after the academy, f/s's etc, so have no trade currency except if they dip into future picks again.

So it's no wonder why Dodo's asking for a quality player, because their current situation is completely ****ed...
I hear Josh Jenkins is available - that seagull would fit right into there side. Comes from a comparable culture too 😃

I think it's a period we would all like to forget..
(Bar Crippa), but I don't know if that was great foresight or just pot luck. I seem to remember reading we were keen on McCarthy, who went one pick earlier.

Lennon was drafted by Richmond one pick earlier, McCarthy was the pick after Cripps

Never said he did

But you or anyone else think that Papley, Martin and Betts are our only targets and or we will definitely land all 3 and no one else, then you might be in for a surprise

Pittonet of course. Maybe even another fringe.

But yeah, although certainly not impossible, I shall be surprised if we get a different gun between now and Wednesday night.

They can always switch Hooker forward and M.Brown played some pretty good football when given the opportunity one year. Stewart was all the rage at trade time.
Other forward options = Stringer, D.Smith (midfield), AMT, Fantasia

It's the more or less the same. The only difference is that Gibbs was on a heavily front ended contract so he was going to get paid little for the last few years of his contract.

Sydney didn't find out about Papley trade request through the media, so it's not really the same - professionals on both sides in this instance

Last edited:
They can always switch Hooker forward and M.Brown played some pretty good football when given the opportunity one year. Stewart was all the rage at trade time.
Other forward options = Stringer, D.Smith (midfield), AMT, Fantasia
Sorry Bighouse, we're talking tall forwards.....31yo Hooker on his last legs and plays his best footy down back, M.Brown a good ordinary player, and Stewart couldn't even crack it for a senior game this year.
They lose Daniher and they are horribly lacking in that area.

I just realised I’m ‘that’ guy. I’ve now successfully argued we should neither (a) over pay for Papley AND I’ve argued we should do whatever it takes to get him....
At least one of you will win the argument :p

Sorry Bighouse, we're talking tall forwards.....31yo Hooker on his last legs and plays his best footy down back, M.Brown a good ordinary player, and Stewart couldn't even crack it for a senior game this year.
They lose Daniher and they are horribly lacking in that area.

Stewart was injured as was Daniher.
They make an approach for another target. 2 x 1sts next year + 2021; King, Cameron (FA), McKay etc

Jenkins would be an able replacement for someone available this year.

I don't think so.
I for one am sick of players who still have years left on contracts expecting to be traded to their clubs of choice.
They are NOT free agents and should not expect their club to bend over backwards to get them to another club.
I hope more clubs take this stance. I would be pi**ed if Carlton let a good player go and didn't fight to keep them.

Things change, club and player relationships change, personal relationships change, job opportunities for wives and partners present themselves, family dynamics and family issues arise. Many things can happen from when a contract is signed until the time it ends.

Why would you want Carlton to fight to keep a player who wants to be somewhere else? For the principle?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear Josh Jenkins is available - that seagull would fit right into there side. Comes from a comparable culture too 😃
I'm not so sure that he'd be all that keen to go back there. He was lucky to have jumped ship just in time after starting his career as an Essendon player :p

At the end of the day, all people can report is what they hear from the club re when they expect the deals to be done.

Papley - Contracted for 2-4 more years depending on who you listen to. Swans don't want him to go. There is a go home factor for Papley because of his girlfriend being based in Melbourne, but he has had no falling out at the Swans and isn't unhappy there. SOS himself can't predict when it will happen or if the Swans will suddenly decide not to deal at all. We can only go off the latest talks and how they come across.

Martin - Out of contract, Suns can't keep him. Problem is they have overpriced him based on what he cost them, not based on performance. If we pay a first rounder and have a terrible year next year for whatever reason, we could pay a massive premium on a player who is not a guarantee. The knives will be out for SOS again if we start the year badly in such a scenario. Lack of a second rounder this year is our big hurdle to jump. The Suns don't want our second rounder next year because they have so many picks to play with, nothing short of a top 20 pick appeals to them anymore. They may figure a late 20s picks is worth throwing away to make us pay for their poor trades over time. Now that they have vocalised their wants and are stubbornly sticking to it, this could go right to the deadline.

Betts - Contracted for a year. A late pick is not a problem for us, although SOS believes we shouldn't have to pay anything. It's not his preference to bring Eddie in, although Martin's words may have changed that recently. I can't believe that price is an issue for a season because we didn't get our big fish so there will be heaps of money still there.

Pittonet - Hawks are trying to get him to re-sign so we need to give him a decent offer to switch. I think other clubs must surely be interested as well. If a team like Geelong calls, you'd think he could get more game time there, so while I think he would fancy being second ruck behind Kreuzer and getting a lot of games, this one is looking good but not across the line.

Cutler - I like our chances here but it's a last minute Newman type deal IMO.

I don't think so.
I for one am sick of players who still have years left on contracts expecting to be traded to their clubs of choice.
They are NOT free agents and should not expect their club to bend over backwards to get them to another club.
I hope more clubs take this stance. I would be pi**ed if Carlton let a good player go and didn't fight to keep them.
So you think the AFLPA would be happy players are being kept to the terms of their contract and not traded like almost every other player has been in the past?

I find that doubtful. You might like it but they won't. Not one little bit.

Last edited:
They're not going to look great if the hold him, he takes mental health leave, hardly plays in 2020, then walks as a Free Agent on a reduced contract and they end up with a 2nd rounder as compo.
And piss off the Daniher family as well in the process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back