List Mgmt. Do we REALLY have a cap problem? Lets (attempt to) figure it out

Do you believe our salary cap squeeze is such an emergency as the media says?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

jsdsgn

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lakers
I'm sick of the media i.e Tom Browne and his schoolyard friends pushing the agenda of Collingwood being 18 million dollars over the salary cap.
I thought why not lets just apply our expertise guesswork and see what our salary cap is roughly.

If you/we know of an actual figure a player is on, comment it down below and Ill update the list. As we near a completed list, we can calculate and see if we are REALLY as close to the cap as many make out to be. I have a feeling were comfortably under.

If a player is 'reportedly' on for example 400-500k Ill just round it off like I have done with Cox and Mayne already

PLAYING LIST
???k - Adam Treloar
???k - Anton Tohill
???k - Atu Bosenavulagi
???k - Ben Crocker
???k - Ben Reid
???k - Brayden Maynard
???k - Brayden Sier
???k - Brodie Grundy - The Trade Game (TV Show, hereafter 'TTG') has him on 650k to 1mil. Need a more precise figure to average out.
???k - Brody Mihocek
???k - Callum Brown
$550k - Chris Mayne
???k - Darcy Moore - TTG has him on 450k to 900k. Need a more precise figure to average out.
???k - Dayne Beams
???k - Flynn Appleby
???k - Isaac Quaynor
???k - Jack Crisp
???k - Jack Madgen
???k - Jaidyn Stephenson - would be on a small contract. TTG said hes on 150k to 450k. Need a more precise figure to average out
???k - James Aish
$450k - Jamie Elliott
???k - Jeremy Howe
???k - John Noble
$800k - Jordan De Goey - turned down 5m/5yrs from North. Deal reportedly around 800k
???k - Jordan Roughead
???k - Josh Daicos
???k - Josh Thomas
???k - Levi Greenwood
???k - Lynden Dunn
???k - Mark Keane
$450k - Mason Cox - reportedly 400k to 500k.
???k - Matthew Scharenberg
???k - Max Lynch
???k - Nathan Murphy
???k - Rupert Wills
???k - Sam Murray
$1mil - Scott Pendlebury
???k - Steele Sidebottom
???k - Taylor Adams
???k - Tim Broomhead
???k - Tom Langdon
???k - Tom Phillips
???k - Travis Varcoe
???k - Tyler Brown
???k - Will Hoskin-Elliott
???k - William Kelly

Last edited:

Thats not how contracts work. Most are not linear. Some are front ended and some are back ended. In my line of work i have seen many contracts, one that stood out was an interstate player who's contract was $1 million 1st year, $1.3 mill 2nd year and 300k for the 3rd year. He has never ever been mentioned as one of the highest paid players in any articles i have read and it would surprise pretty much everyone who it was.
anyway the point of this post is that this exercise is futile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats not how contracts work. Most are not linear. Some are front ended and some are back ended. In my line of work i have seen many contracts, one that stood out was an interstate player who's contract was $1 million 1st year, $1.3 mill 2nd year and 300k for the 3rd year. He has never ever been mentioned as one of the highest paid players in any articles i have read and it would surprise pretty much everyone who it was.
anyway the point of this post is that this exercise is futile.
Yeah i understand that but this post is investigating whos getting what money next year alone, and i understand that front end back end etc makes it impossible to do but im not investigating the average of a players contract as much as i am investigating their 2020 earnings
i know we will never know the exact numbers but we arent going to be miles off i dont think

why would it get locked? ive seen heaps of people suggesting we make a thread like this
Won't get locked because this board doesn't do that.

No one here has any idea on what players are on.

It's an absolute exercise in futility.

You're gonna trigger a whole bunch of people here - I'd just back off slowly with your hands in the air and not make eye contact if I were you...

Ultimately every AFL club has to pay at least 95% of the cap in any year and any contract needs to be signed off the AFL to ensure a club remains under the cap. The below tweet provides a great summary - further to it Wills, Varcoe and Noble have reportedly either signed or have contracts in front of them. Anyone signed for 2020 (and beyond fits under the cap).

With Wells and Goldsack retired and Murray delisted for 2020 that leaves just Crocker, Lynch, Broomhead, Madgen (who can remain on the rookie list for another year) and possibly Dunn. Nothing too bank breaking there.

For 2021 Pendlebury should be on a reduced contract, likewise Mayne if he goes around again. No one other than Grundy, De Goey and Moore will command massive pay increases. Plus the longer we can extend that trio for the lower the immediate impact of their pay rises needs to be. Geelong, Richmond and Sydney have only ever lost mid range or young players to accommodate various recruits, so I can't see why we'd do anything different.

Worth it for that graph above alone :thumbsu:

Back