Traded Marc Pittonet [traded with #61 to Carlton for #54 and #63]

BluesWagon

Debutant
Sep 26, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Hawthorn's 202cm ruckman is out of contract. McEvoy and Ceglar keeping him out of the side, only 23 and might be a good option as a back-up ruckman. Currently has a deal on the table from the Hawks but reportedly weighing up his options.

Has played 7 games for the Hawks since 2016. Finished =4th in the J.J Liston Trophy this year averaging 38.3 hitouts and 16.7 touches. What's he worth?

Really annoyed that after developing him into a ready made ruck he is going to get poached probably a year before he transitions into the role.

Last 2 years deserved more game time but has been behind Ceglar and McEvoy, both who have been in there peak years 26 - 30.

Perfect Moneyball pick up.

Jun 7, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’d be very disappointed to lose him, especially considering Hawthorn wouldn’t get anything better than a late third rounder for him.

I hope Hawthorn can convince him to sign the contract we’ve offered but he’ll only have a spot in the best 22 next year through injury to McEvoy or Cegs.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is he any good? How is he travelling at vfl level?

Pretty dominant at vfl level. He and Meese the 2 best rucks by a margin IMO. Finished 4th in the vfl Brownlow equivalent. averaged basically 40 hitouts, plenty to advantage. Runner up in the B&F.

whether it tranlates to afl remsins to be seen.

(would hate to lose him but would understand him seeking greater opportnity given he is at one of the few clubs with 2 afl quality 1st rucks)

Last edited:
Hawthorn's 202cm ruckman is out of contract. McEvoy and Ceglar keeping him out of the side, only 23 and might be a good option as a back-up ruckman. Currently has a deal on the table from the Hawks but reportedly weighing up his options.

Has played 7 games for the Hawks since 2016. Finished =4th in the J.J Liston Trophy this year averaging 38.3 hitouts and 16.7 touches. What's he worth?

I see Pittonet being similar to Witts. When Witts left Collingwood he was around 23 years old and had dominated in the VFL. Maybe Carlton see Pittonet as their future number one ruck with Kreuzer approaching the twilight of his career.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pitto is a real old school ruckman in the mould of Damien Monkhorst.
He ia a very good tap ruckman but i always worried about his mobility whenever he made the leap to AFL as he seems to have the turning circle of the titanic

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Timing is everything with ruckman.
Sounds like he is ready for senior opportunity but only 3rd in line at the hawks.
With Kreuzer physically unable to play week in week out and approaching the end, Pittonet would get plenty of senior game time at Carlton.
The Blues have moved on Lobbe and possibly trading Phillips to efc.
Bringing in Pittonet cheaply makes good sense.
The veteran Kreuzer
The ready Pittonet
The developing De Koning
The backup Casboult
Sounds about right ...

Are the Giants still interested too?

As to trade value, no idea. Pick in the 30’s?

Worth that on talent but i dont think you will get offered that much.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Worth that on talent but i dont think you will get offered that much.

Whatever we get for him, will be going straight over to the Giants for Patton anyhow.

Carlton's pick 48 for our 61 & Pitto sounds about on the money....Effectively makes him pick 58 by a points equivalency.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We play two rucks, so really he’s first cab off the ranks aswell, he’d be in the same position at Carlton, big boy only has a year or two left, same as kreuzer. Would hate to see him go for nothing after putting this amount of time into him.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
We play two rucks, so really he’s first cab off the ranks aswell, he’d be in the same position at Carlton, big boy only has a year or two left, same as kreuzer. Would hate to see him go for nothing after putting this amount of time into him.
Seems like timing is everything especially for a ruckman. I honestly cant see Kreuzer cracking 15 games this year at absolute best...he is always playing injured or sore. We are looking for a ruckman who has had a few years in the system and can step in. However because Pionette hasnt played that many games his price will be low.

Don't worry, there will be another Pionette around to trade in for loose change in the future. How about we can give you Phillips for Pionette?

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seems like timing is everything especially for a ruckman. I honestly cant see Kreuzer cracking 15 games this year at absolute best...he is always playing injured or sore. We are looking for a ruckman who has had a few years in the system and can step in. However because Pionette hasnt played that many games his price will be low.

Don't worry, there will be another Pionette around to trade in for loose change in the future. How about we can give you Phillips for Pionette?
Lol nah I think we’ll be right

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reportedly going to the Blues on a 2 year deal.

Disappointing for Hawthorn with McEvoy nearing retirement which at the moment leaves Ceglar as the only decent ruck on the list. Doubt we'll get fair value given lack of AFL which is a shame for a 23 year old ruck entering his prime. Understandable on Pitto's part though given he is behind 2 others (and reportedly only offered a year at the Hawks).

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
It will be pick 48 or 43/48 for Pitto & 61.

Hope if he leaves though that at least we'll be able to see a lot more of him. He deserves games and unfortunately there's two rucks ahead of him at Hawthorn atm.

Back