Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
OK. But to get the final 7 games at the G means that you only played a few games there up until then. The teams based at the G play a set number of games there, no matter whether they are early or late in the season.

But some of those matches were as the "away" team against other MCG tenants.

Look, the AFL should have spaced the games that Richmond played at the MCG better than they did throughout the fixture by scheduling a couple of away games against MCG tenants early in the season, and thrown in a game interstate or against St. Kilda or North at Marvel towards the end of the season, to break things up.

It is an anomoly. It also helped that you didn't play West Coast in Perth this year.

QueenslanderTiger

Naughty boy
Aug 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
What are Cats fans general thoughts on next season? Obviously with the trade period to come there will be change as usual.

Can't see you dropping from the top 4 myself, but surely some pressure is on Scott to deliver in finals if they find themselves there again?

Obviously many fans would give their left tit to even be in finals, but the Cats always manage to get the H&A job done efficiently. Best win/loss record of all clubs in the last decade or so iirc?

QueenslanderTiger

Naughty boy
Aug 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Look, the AFL should have spaced the games that Richmond played at the MCG better than they did throughout the fixture by scheduling a couple of away games against MCG tenants early in the season, and thrown in a game interstate or against St. Kilda or North at Marvel towards the end of the season, to break things up.

It is an anomoly. It also helped that you didn't play West Coast in Perth this year.
Absolutely the AFL should have known better than to give a recent premier (at the time) the run in they did. But does this actually surprise anyone? Every year multiple teams get nice gifts from the AFL, whilst other teams get boned.

I'm not going to lie though, if the AFL gives us or another team similar circumstances I cannot, and will not complain.

Umm yeah. Some were away games.

If we get onto the whole home ground advantage thing then that leads down some weird rabbit holes.

If you are saying that teams should not play many games in a row at their home ground, that is fine, except for the G (and Docklands to a lesser extent). We didn't play an excessive number of home game towards the end of the season. The away games we played were against MCG tenants. Because not only are there a number of MCG tenants, teams like Geelong play their home games at the G sometimes. So it's very difficult to add a layer of complexity to the fixture to avoid 'lucky' combinations that led to 7 MCG games in a row. I guess it can be done. But if it happens to Melbourne then no one would care. It's only an issue because it's a contender. How do the AFL decide on factors like that year to year, before a game has been played?

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
What are Cats fans general thoughts on next season? Obviously with the trade period to come there will be change as usual.

Can't see you dropping from the top 4 myself, but surely some pressure is on Scott to deliver in finals if they find themselves there again?

Obviously many fans would give their left tit to even be in finals, but the Cats always manage to get the H&A job done efficiently. Best win/loss record of all clubs in the last decade or so iirc?

Should make finals. The home games at Geelong go a long way to helping that. Still have Dangerfield, Hawkins, Stewart, and Duncan. Ablett may add value in a forward pocket if expectations are realistic.

The worry is if everyone is fit, will Scott follow his usual policy of squeezing as many defenders in as possible, or picking favourites even if it shreds team balance. Plus we just don’t know how big a hole Kelly will leave, plus expecting a further slight decline in Selwood, Hawkins, Ablett, and Taylor.

Somewhere around 5-8 I’d say.

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Revisionist history at his finest. When the trade was first suggested the overwhelming majority of Geelong posters were adamant that Caddy was best 22 and not for trading. So did Joel Selwood. And once he did go, that didn't matter, because Richmond were a basket cast / our bitches / Premiershipmond etc. etc.

It was only after September 2017 that Geelong fans got bothered. Which is exactly when Richmond went from being everyone's favourite joke to a successful football team. Suddenly they weren't very funny anymore. Amazing that. You'd think that given Geelong fans were treated exactly the same way throughout 2007 we'd know better. Some still haven't gotten over it it seems.
2 extreme cases of the modern Geelong supporter. You - a very unbiased poster with a well rounded view. :thumbsu:
And your total oppostite number in the person you quoted, Catters 070911, the one wishing broken legs on ex Geelong players. An absolute muppet

I'll just add the salt actually started a little earlier than September, it started when it was suggested that Dusty may had overtaken Danger and heaven forbid, Motchin overtaking Dangerwood. It was the nerve of Richmond supporters even suggesting such horrors that rubbed some catters up wrong. The rest is history as both calls were proven to be correct and oh my, does it burn.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
All I ever hear from people is that their list is carried by Superstars, I've looked at there list several times over the years and they have a lot of good players on each line for at least a decade now even longer.

Young players that continually are in their best 22 playing great footy, I don't know how many excuses you can make for a club.

They had us on the ropes in the first half of a prelim that should show that their list is good enough.

They have had their opportunities since 2011 to win another flag.

In the end though, I think they have came up against more hungry more mentally stronger teams.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
All I ever hear from people is that their list is carried by Superstars, I've looked there list several times over the years and they a lot of good players on each line for at least a decade now even longer.

Young players that continually are in their best 22 playing great footy, I don't how many excuses you can make for a club.

They had us on the ropes in the first half of a prelim that should show that their list is good enough.

In the end though, I think they have came up against more hungry more mentally stronger teams.

Think this is a fair call. If we'd played the first half of the 2019 PF in the first half of the 2017 QF it's doubtful that Richmond would have come back to win. They didn't have that mental strength that they do now. It came from dominating that September and at least partly, by a couple of incredibly poor performances by the teams who fin i shed above them on the ladder.

It was a bit like the 2007 GF. If Port had been able to keep in it, maybe their recent premiership experience and Geelong's GF jitters would have kicked in. Maybe Geelong had to win a flag like that to build the mental strength that you need or they never would have.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The worry is if everyone is fit, will Scott follow his usual policy of squeezing as many defenders in as possible, or picking favourites even if it shreds team balance. Plus we just don’t know how big a hole Kelly will leave, plus expecting a further slight decline in Selwood, Hawkins, Ablett, and Taylor.

Somewhere around 5-8 I’d say.

I don't think Taylor can afford any more slight decline, he looks completely past it. I fully expected him to retire at the end of the season.

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Absolutely the AFL should have known better than to give a recent premier (at the time) the run in they did. But does this actually surprise anyone? Every year multiple teams get nice gifts from the AFL, whilst other teams get boned.

I'm not going to lie though, if the AFL gives us or another team similar circumstances I cannot, and will not complain.

Sorry but where are we meant to play ?
Seriously move on . Stop sucking up to the Geelong sooks . I only wish we had a perpetual home ground advantage like they have had FOR years .
The issue is that too many clubs have home games at the MCG , including those sooks from Geelong . They take the gate when it suits .hypocrites .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Fixturing like that doesn't just happen by accident!

The AFL want Richmond and Collingwood in the finals, because they sell more tickets. Join the dots!
Which is why we played finals every year between 1982 and... hang on a minute!!! :eek:

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think Taylor can afford any more slight decline, he looks completely past it. I fully expected him to retire at the end of the season.

I thought once Ablett had agreed to go around again they couldn’t possibly keep Taylor too. Now we have the fascinating “how do you fit Taylor / Henderson / Henry / Kolodjashnij / Blicavs all in one team?” conundrum to go through again.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Ablett jr is one of the all time greats of the game, amazing player and obviously past his prime.
I’d like to see him play on another year but if l had to say l think Geelongs pace needs to step up in 2020.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
All I ever hear from people is that their list is carried by Superstars, I've looked at there list several times over the years and they have a lot of good players on each line for at least a decade now even longer.

Young players that continually are in their best 22 playing great footy, I don't know how many excuses you can make for a club.

We’ve always had a good side. With the exception of this year and maybe 2013 you’d really struggle to build a case to say we SHOULD have won the flag in any of those years.

And worth remembering that this year where we were entitled to hope for a grand final berth (and let’s be honest in hindsight, if we made it, we’d have won it), we were missing our lone genuine key forward for the prelim and our third best midfielder for the whole series (Duncan). Also worth noting that we’ve never had a decent ruckman in the post 2011 period. Our backline has always been stacked and rucks aside our midfield has too, but our forward line has been a huge weakness. Sure we’ve still kicked good scores but that’s largely been on the back of a midfield consistently pumping it in there and Hawkins playing a lone hand.

Making out like we’ve just had a ready made premiership side all along is a bit of a stretch

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
2 extreme cases of the modern Geelong supporter. You - a very unbiased poster with a well rounded view. :thumbsu:
And your total oppostite number in the person you quoted, Catters 070911, the one wishing broken legs on ex Geelong players. An absolute muppet

I'll just add the salt actually started a little earlier than September, it started when it was suggested that Dusty may had overtaken Danger and heaven forbid, Motchin overtaking Dangerwood. It was the nerve of Richmond supporters even suggesting such horrors that rubbed some catters up wrong. The rest is history as both calls were proven to be correct and oh my, does it burn.

I think it is you who should remember what it was like back when you were a joke.

I have no problem with Richmond's bragging as such. You won two flags, you have a right to.

The problem is your disrespect for other teams.

Why even mention us or other teams? Why not just wallow in your own success? What other teams do shouldn't matter to you?

When Geelong won their three recent flags (you have won two recently, we have won three. One more, then you can claim to hang with us), we didn't mock other teams all the time (others might have, but I didn't, unless someone else had a go at Geelong first). Because I cared only about our success, not every else's failures.

I admire how the Bulldogs celebrated their flag. They were down longer than Richmond, and had less success. You could say that they were probably mocked and put down as well. But the difference is that they celebrated their flag. Their supporters weren't on Bigfooty an hour after the biggest win in their life, bagging other teams, like Richmond supporters do.

The Bulldogs remained humble, because they knew where they had come from, and how hard they had to climb to do it. Richmond supporters have an entitlement mentality and think that everyone should accomodate them.

I mean, what do you have to say about some supporters celebrating MORE for the Tigers beating us in the 2017 QF than winning your first flag in 37 years a couple of weeks later. Most supporters would celebrate a flag more.

Having the media kiss your ass at every opportunity doesn't endear us to Richmond either. Caro should just wear her Richmond scarf, jumper and beanie while telling Geelong why they don't deserve a home final on "Footy Classified".

As for Caddy, my issue with him is that he lied to the club, and decides to stay one week, and costs us a deal to get Brett Deledio, a former captain and No.1 draft pick, saying that he loved the club, only for a week later to join the club anyway, because his mate Dion Prestia was going there (he knew Prestia was a chance to join Richmond anyway, since he nominated Richmond, and these deals always get done, so Caddy should have agreed to the trade, and we could have got Deledio. So Caddy screwed us for his own selfish ends, and didn't put the club first when deciding to go to Richmond. So pardon me if I think he is a flog, playing for a team with many supporters who act like flogs at the moment.

Maybe if Richmond supporters acted a bit more respectful, then you might get some respect back.

PS Didn't many Richmond supporters bag Dustin Martin over the chopsticks incident, only for him later to be proven innocent. So your supporters bag players as well. I bet many of your supporters wished that Richard Tambling broke his leg, so don't pretend to take the high moral ground.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

I think it is you who should remember what it was like back when you were a joke.

I have no problem with Richmond's bragging as such. You won two flags, you have a right to.

Why even mention us or other teams? Why not just wallow in your own success? What other teams do shouldn't matter to you?

When Geelong won their three recent flags (you have won two recently, we have won three. One more, then you can claim to hang with us), we didn't mock other teams all the time (others might have, but I didn't, unless someone else had a go at Geelong first). Because I cared only about our success, not every else's failures.

I admire how the Bulldogs celebrated their flag. They were down longer than Richmond, and had less success. You could say that they were probably mocked and put down as well. But the difference is that they celebrated their flag. Their supporters weren't on Bigfooty an hour after the biggest win in their life, bagging other teams, like Richmond supporters do.

The Bulldogs remained humble, because they knew where they had come from, and how hard they had to climb to do it. Richmond supporters have an entitlement mentality and think that everyone should accomodate them.

I mean, what do you have to say about some supporters celebrating MORE for the Tigers beating us in the 2017 QF than winning your first flag in 37 years a couple of weeks later. Most supporters would celebrate a flag more.

Having the media kiss your ass at every opportunity doesn't endear us to Richmond either. Caro should just wear her Richmond scarf, jumper and beanie while telling Geelong why they don't deserve a home final on "Footy Classified".

As for Caddy, my issue with him is that he lied to the club, and decides to stay one week, and costs us a deal to get Brett Deledio, a former captain and No.1 draft pick, saying that he loved the club, only for a week later to join the club anyway, because his mate Dion Prestia was going there (he knew Prestia was a chance to join Richmond anyway, since he nominated Richmond, and these deals always get done, so Caddy should have agreed to the trade, and we could have got Deledio. So Caddy screwed us for his own selfish ends, and didn't put the club first when deciding to go to Richmond. So pardon me if I think he is a flog, playing for a team with many supporters who act like flogs at the moment.

Maybe if Richmond supporters acted a bit more respectful, then you might get some respect back.

PS Didn't many Richmond supporters bag Dustin Martin over the chopsticks incident, only for him later to be proven innocent. So your supporters bag players as well. I bet many of your supporters wished that Richard Tambling broke his leg, so don't pretend to take the high moral ground.

nacnud

motw
Dec 3, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

did you really have to write an essay, champ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back