List Mgmt. Do we REALLY have a cap problem? Lets (attempt to) figure it out

Do you believe our salary cap squeeze is such an emergency as the media says?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

No one would know what players get paid....it would just be a guess

Which in itself is the real issue, if no one knows, how can people make an assumption about our Cap (hint: they can't, they are guessing too)

No one would know what players get paid....it would just be a guess

Which in itself is the real issue, if no one knows, how can people make an assumption about our Cap (hint: they can't, they are guessing too)

Exactly. Even the people who have left the club in recent years - Balme, Gubby, etc. - wouldn't have a clue how the cap looks. Guy signed heaps of blokes last year on two year deals for who-knows-how-much.

I'm sick of the media i.e Tom Browne and his schoolyard friends pushing the agenda of Collingwood being 18 million dollars over the salary cap.
I thought why not lets just apply our expertise guesswork and see what our salary cap is roughly.

If you/we know of an actual figure a player is on, comment it down below and Ill update the list. As we near a completed list, we can calculate and see if we are REALLY as close to the cap as many make out to be. I have a feeling were comfortably under.

If a player is 'reportedly' on for example 400-500k Ill just round it off like I have done with Cox and Mayne already

PLAYING LIST
???k - Adam Treloar
???k - Anton Tohill
???k - Atu Bosenavulagi
???k - Ben Crocker
???k - Ben Reid
???k - Brayden Maynard
???k - Brayden Sier
???k - Brodie Grundy - The Trade Game (TV Show, hereafter 'TTG') has him on 650k to 1mil. Need a more precise figure to average out.
???k - Brody Mihocek
???k - Callum Brown
$550k - Chris Mayne
???k - Darcy Moore - TTG has him on 450k to 900k. Need a more precise figure to average out.
???k - Dayne Beams
???k - Flynn Appleby
???k - Isaac Quaynor
???k - Jack Crisp
???k - Jack Madgen
???k - Jaidyn Stephenson - would be on a small contract. TTG said hes on 150k to 450k. Need a more precise figure to average out
???k - James Aish
$450k - Jamie Elliott
???k - Jeremy Howe
???k - John Noble
$800k - Jordan De Goey - turned down 5m/5yrs from North. Deal reportedly around 800k
???k - Jordan Roughead
???k - Josh Daicos
???k - Josh Thomas
???k - Levi Greenwood
???k - Lynden Dunn
???k - Mark Keane
$450k - Mason Cox - reportedly 400k to 500k.
???k - Matthew Scharenberg
???k - Max Lynch
???k - Nathan Murphy
???k - Rupert Wills
???k - Sam Murray
$1mil - Scott Pendlebury
???k - Steele Sidebottom
???k - Taylor Adams
???k - Tim Broomhead
???k - Tom Langdon
???k - Tom Phillips
???k - Travis Varcoe
???k - Tyler Brown
???k - Will Hoskin-Elliott
???k - William Kelly

Good work having a crack at it. I reckon it'll be tough because there is such poor and conflicting information on it all.

I would've guessed Pendles was on 750k max, and soon to go back to about 500k. Sidebottom probability the same.

I've seen it be suggested that Pendles was on a fixed % of the salary cap.

wouldn't it just be easier to do that with all players? guessing match payments an so on would get muddy very quickly.

I've seen it be suggested that Pendles was on a fixed % of the salary cap.

wouldn't it just be easier to do that with all players? guessing match payments an so on would get muddy very quickly.

Probably would be easier, but it'd mean that clubs don't benefit with the extra dollars to poach a star when the cap goes up.

Probably would be easier, but it'd mean that clubs don't benefit with the extra dollars to poach a star when the cap goes up.
true

i think there should be a player salary cap within the team salary cap. :think::drunk:

true

i think there should be a player salary cap within the team salary cap. :think::drunk:
In their golden period, Hawks supposedly had a rule that no player got a salary beginning with any number greater than 7. Clarkson has said that he thinks it's the most significant reason for their long run of success - build a team around having a lot of very very good footballers with few weak links. Richmond on the other hand appear to have gone the other way - build a team around high priced stars with the rest chosen with the attributes to play a style that works with the stars.

If the media talk it endlessly, people start to believe it.
See it work, apparently there is a problem, so we cannot afford Elliott, whops he committed for two more years.
How about cox, we when to Essendon, must have a cap problem, missed again, it was they who went to us. Another no deal so far.
Whose next. Phillips, Aish.
Tomorrow ?

See it work, apparently there is a problem, so we cannot afford Elliott, whops he committed for two more years.
How about cox, we when to Essendon, must have a cap problem, missed again, it was they who went to us. Another no deal so far.
Tomorrow ?
Ooh Ooh I know this one, JT for GC pick

What a rip off.
It was reported a year or two ago, that he was but since dropped underneath that. I think around the 800k or even a little more. Next will not that high

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tomorrow ?
I have asked every Sports Journo who has said we have a cap problem what our TPP is

* Crickets *

Judging by the fact we’re needing to force out Aish/Wills/Phillips - id say yeah, we do have a cap problem.

Staggeringly poor list management.

Not sure if it's poor list management or the reality that Grundy continues to rise in value, Degoey made a sudden and dramatic rise, Moore looks like becoming a similar level, possibly Stepho too. We've now got some of the most in-demand players around. Thus we can no longer afford to spend as much as we had previously spent on role players.

Not sure if it's poor list management or the reality that Grundy continues to rise in value, Degoey made a sudden and dramatic rise, Moore looks like becoming a similar level, possibly Stepho too. We've now got some of the most in-demand players around. Thus we can no longer afford to spend as much as we had previously spent on role players.

Except for possibly Grundy it looks as though we are going to be paying big dollars for potential stars instead of proven stars.

Except for possibly Grundy it looks as though we are going to be paying big dollars for potential stars instead of proven stars.
But if JDG and Moore come out of the blocks like we expect them to mext year, they'll be actual stars and we'll have to pay top dollar to keep them. Gotta position ourselves for that likely outcome.

But if JDG and Moore come out of the blocks like we expect them to mext year, they'll be actual stars and we'll have to pay top dollar to keep them. Gotta position ourselves for that likely outcome.

I understand that. But what if they continue to miss so many games? What if they don't develop like we hope?

I’d be happy paying big dollars if we were winning premierships - but we’re not.

I understand that. But what if they continue to miss so many games? What if they don't develop like we hope?
If it happens before we sign them, then we don't pay them as much as we are budgeting for, thus have some space to chase a new signing. If it happens after we sign them then we've overpaid and won't do as well as we're hoping. What if Grundy does a knee? What if Dusty Martin goes off the rails? What if ...? If you want top players, you've got to sink a big portion of your salary cap into them, cross your fingers and hope they deliver on their percentage of the salary cap. If they do, you're probably challenging, if they don't you're probably not.

If we wait until we win a premiership before we pay big dollars, we're not going to keep stars and put ourselves in a position to win a premiership.
I understand that.

But should be a caveat - how many lists have fallen apart due to having to pay monster dollars for players yet to achieve the ultimate?

I’m afraid these issues might limit from addressing key list needs (KPF etc)

If it happens before we sign them, then we don't pay them as much as we are budgeting for, thus have some space to chase a new signing. If it happens after we sign them then we've overpaid and won't do as well as we're hoping. What if Grundy does a knee? What if Dusty Martin goes off the rails? What if ...? If you want top players, you've got to sink a big portion of your salary cap into them, cross your fingers and hope they deliver on their percentage of the salary cap. If they do, you're probably challenging, if they don't you're probably not.

Solid argument. :thumbsu:

I understand that.

But should be a caveat - how many lists have fallen apart due to having to pay monster dollars for players yet to achieve the ultimate?

I’m afraid these issues might limit from addressing key list needs (KPF etc)
I'm not sure I'd call the likelihood of us losing Aish, Shaz and maybe Cox is our list falling apart.

Back