News Gone: Eddie Betts traded to Carlton for 2020 4th Round Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

This feels like the trading of Modra, whilst it's in the best interest of the team moving forward this is a disaster PR wise as a club.
He was the most popular player at the club, thousands of kids idolized him and proudly wore 18 on their backs and single handedly sold more indigenous jumpers than any other club did combined.

The club ****ed up, we all know this, the collateral is this and I hate every bit of it.
People will be going full Lindy at the club for the next week.

Wishing Eddie all the best, is a superstar of the game and we be held in high regard in all Crows fans hearts for as long as they live.

And keep paying him 300k year? That’s an expensive assistant coach. I don’t remember the Hawks keeping Hodge around for an extra year to play VFL.

It's a fair point, but I wouldn't have thought the salary is a big issue given everyone else we're shedding.

The Hawks already had other player leaders they could rely on, and from memory shipped him to Brisbane for a similar pick while paying none of his salary.

Eddie is a player you can build an entire indigenous program around and it doesn't sit well with me that we are shipping him to Carlton and paying for that privilege

This feels like the trading of Modra, whilst it's in the best interest of the team moving forward this is a disaster PR wise as a club.
He was the most popular player at the club, thousands of kids idolized him and proudly wore 18 on their backs and single handedly sold more indigenous jumpers than any other club did combined.

The club f’ed up, we all know this, the collateral is this and I hate every bit of it.
People will be going full Lindy at the club for the next week.

Wishing Eddie all the best, is a superstar of the game and we be held in high regard in all Crows fans hearts for as long as they live.
Yep.

While it may be good in terms of developing our list, it's on his terms not ours. More fallout from disfunctional management.

Much like the Vince trade for the pick that got us Crouch was a result of the draft sanctions, rather than savvy, proactive list management.

How so?

He played 100+ at both clubs.

But you get the child more interested in your club than the other by having the child around the club. Lewie is a huge Adelaide Crows fan. He's been adorable to watch at SANFL games where he would get upset about other club songs being played and only wanting to hear the Crows song. Now his dad will finish his career at the other club and he will grow up associating around that club more than us.

It's a fair point, but I wouldn't have thought the salary is a big issue given everyone else we're shedding.

The Hawks already had other player leaders they could rely on, and from memory shipped him to Brisbane for a similar pick while paying none of his salary
Tex and Sloane are the two strongest leaders at our club, our youth will be fine in that respect

If that is the deal then why did it take so long for this trade to happen? This could have been sorted out in the first couple of days of the trade period.

Thanks for the memories Eddie, good decision to move him on and bring some kids in but still a sad day to see one of our greats leave.

Yep.

While it may be good in terms of developing our list, it's on his terms not ours. More fallout from disfunctional management.

Much like the Vince trade for the pick that got us Crouch was a result of the draft sanctions, rather than savvy, proactive list management.
Why is it on his terms? He was told he may not get regular games next year, didn’t agree and decided to go back to Vic a year early.

For a pick that poor, in a draft thats weaker than this one, and paying some of his salary, this isn't a win.
Of course it's a win. Instead of paying $500,000 we're paying $100,000. AND we have a spot now for a youngster to make his mark. If Eddie was there, the temptation would have been too strong to play him.

Why is it on his terms? He was told he may not get regular games next year, didn’t agree and decided to go back to Vic a year early.
He's clearly initiated it, the story has been around forever.

Besides, how can we tell him what our plans our for next year? We dont even have a coach or senior assistant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He moves back to Melbourne and Carlton are more likely to get his F/S kids should they choose to pursue football

If they play footy they will choose the club in the state they are living at that time.

People need to look at the big picture.

Shedding these salaries now means we can upgrade existing contracts in 2020 which then frees up money in 2021 and beyond.

It's not just about next year.

Of course it's a win. Instead of paying $500,000 we're paying $100,000. AND we have a spot now for a youngster to make his mark. If Eddie was there, the temptation would have been too strong to play him.
I've heard we're paying anywhere from 25-50% of his salary.

The irony of Betts not playing against the Blues for us last year and Im sure will be a deadset lock to play against the Crows next year.

He is a bona fide lock to kick a bag against us. Those who say he is cooked. Bookmark this.

He will play a handful of games that are cherry picked and he will do well in them.

Geez we got bent over on that Betts deal. Furture 4th round pick?? we need picks this year! and a 4th rounder? thats going to be a pick 55-80ish.
Should have been at least a 3rd rounder. Agree we had to move him on.. 33 years old but think we should have got more than a future 4th round pick. Hopefully that means we are going to be paying him very minimal next year? less than 20%?

The irony of Betts not playing against the Blues for us last year and Im sure will be a deadset lock to play against the Crows next year.

He is a bona fide lock to kick a bag against us. Those who say he is cooked. Bookmark this.

He will play a handful of games that are cherry picked and he will do well in them.
he is still good for 30-40 goals and will kick 4 or 5 against us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back