Have we ever seen an exodus like what is taking place at Adelaide right now?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Crazy thing is if they win the GF... camp never happens
Players stay happy
Who knows what would of happend

If they dont pull the statue trick in grand final?
Honestly weve had some calls about indigenous sportsmen not singing the anthem, but the power stance was plain disrespectful. Never gets mentioned

Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
interesting several prospective coaches publicly indicating they are not interested in the job (Burns, Lyon, Kingsley)

It's staggering they haven't done a clean-out of the stink (Burton, Roo et al.)

Blues90

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
interesting several prospective coaches publicly indicating they are not interested in the job (Burns, Lyon, Kingsley)

bad considering gold coast had multiple applications

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I've had a look at the Crows' list, and with those who have already exited, I've worked out a few more names I think they can afford to lose this off-season, as long as they can get some currency back (in terms of draft picks). I've gone with this structure for the side:

1 ruckman 199cm+ - O'Brien
1 forward/ruck 198cm+ - Himmelberg
2 forwards 193cm+ - Walker, Lynch
3 sub-193cm forwards - Galluci, Murphy, Stengle
3 backs 193cm+ - Talia, Keath, Hartigan
3 sub-193cm backs - Smith, Laird, Kelly
3 wingers/outside mids (2 on-field, one on the bench) - Seedsman, Milera, Poholke
6 centre square/inside mids (3 on-field, 3 on the bench) - Sloane, Crouch bros, Gibbs, Wilson, Jones

1570932490554.png

Honestly don't think they're in too bad a spot there, if they get a full crack at this year's National and Rookie Draft to re-fill with a fresh set of 18-year-olds, and really utilise the SANFl as a development tool. Not too much "square peg into a round hole" work needed when structuring up, too. For the most part, players are playing their best and most natural role. Note too that only one player in the main 22 is under 21 (Chayce Jones, who I'd begin using as a rover, as he projects to be and was used as at SANFL level this year), so they've still got a fair bit of experience mixed with youngsters who have been in the system long enough to deserve a proper crack ahead of tired (exiting) older guys.

Now obviously at this stage, it's hard for them to be that aggressive with the restructure, particularly as some of those name I'd exit have 1-2 years left on their deals. However, keeping them (if they want to stay) isn't necessarily problematic. I think a lot of the issue with the Crows is their gameplan and playing style. Clarify the roles, and give license to attack and be more direct, and they'll at least be mid-table, rather than the doomsday predictions that some have made.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
In 2015 Carlton lost Henderson, Yarran, Bell, Menzel (recent first round pick) and had Judd, Carazzo, Ellard, Warnock and Watson retire. That came after 2014 where we lost Waite, Robinson, Garlett, Scotland, Lucas, Bootsma and McLean, and 2013 where we lost Betts, Laidler and Hampson

That Malthouse inflicted apocalypse was therefore a 3 year stretch where we had 11 players leave to other clubs, 6 long-term players retire somewhat early, and 5 first round draft picks (and 3 other second rounders who I didn’t mention) all end up retiring before age 23 (were they all just duds? There’s a fair nature vs nurture argument there...)

It did not end well - 4 years later and we haven’t really recovered.

The other exodus that springs to mind is Brisbane’s ‘go-home 5’ - Docherty, Yeo, Polec, Longer, Karnezis

Adelaide have a lot this year - it’s like they got a year of grace after making the GF where players were unhappy and stayed, then it has all bubbled over. That’s both ways - both the club hanging onto a few guys too long and the players walking.

As someone else mentioned, though, they’ve done a solid job of bringing in young talent given they were in a Gf not long ago - Lever, McGovern departures and some shrewd moves have helped with that. I don’t think the apocalypse is Carlton in 2015 bad... but to have all this, no coach, etc... it’s probably a tough year or two ahead
Surely Silvagni Bears a lot of responsibility for the poor state of Carlton's list?

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast

Might be Roo, or it might be the Adelaide powerbrokers. There's clearly a personality or two at the club coaches are hoping to avoid.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
The fact that Adelaide held onto every old player they could since 2017 has led to the need for a massive clean out this year.

Don’t think the Crouch players will be leaving, and besides them every other player departing this year is dispensable.

How many players on your list aren't?

twiggy4PM

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Quite a few of the previous departures left because Adelaide wouldn't offer exorbitant money.
Tippet & McGovern are/were expensive busts for the teams they left for.
Lever wanted a sum that Adelaide wouldn't match as they had Doedee and Keath in reserve.
Gunstan walked out to go back home.

Jacobs and Douglas are cooked.
Greenwood & CEY are both useful, but Adelaide has a squad of useful players. What we lack are stars and having a squad of overpaid "useful" players means you cannot afford the stars.

Key now is to get the next couple of drafts right and get the squad playing as a team.

So, free agency has closed (other than delisted free agency which is after the draft)
Trade period has what, 30 hours left?

Thus far:

Richmond lost: Ellis (176 games over 8 years)
Adelaide lost: Ellis-Yoleman (39 games over 8 years)
Greater Western Sydney lost: Tomlinson (139 games over 8 years)
Geelong lost: Kelly (48 games over 2 years)
Hawthorn lost: Birchall (248 games over 14 years)
Melbourne lost: Frost (91 games over 7 years)
Fremantle lost: Langdon (68 games over 5 years)

Gold Coast gained: Ellis
Brisbane gained: Ellis-Yoleman, Birchal
Melbourne gained: Tomlinson, Langdon
West Coast gained: Kelly
Hawthorn gained: Frost

What exodus are we talking about?
If you call Adelaide an exodus what do you call those other teams?

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Tex Walker would be burning up a big phone bill, calling all the defectors and abusing them, like he did to Jake Lever.

Yeah, that's a captain you want to play under.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Geez Walker cops some crap. For one they are leaving even though he has stood down, and hasn't been sole captain for a year, and has been acknowledged league wide multiple times as a good captain, and has been reported as a strong voice for the players when needed to stand up to the club.

From an outsiders perspective he could be criticised for going hard to find "the leak", but even then it could be argued he was trying to protect the playing group as a whole.

Walker is harshly criticized all because he stood straight during some anthems. Big ******* woop.

Maybe it is that he calls up players who leave and abuse them. Just ask Jake Lever.

Maybe it is that he takes an hour to speak one sentence.

It....takes.....him.....so....long....to.....finish....what.....he....is....saying.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Famous exoduses.

In order of how many people left.

Adelaide 2019
Gold Coast 2015-2019
Brisbane (the year Docherty, Yeo, etc) left
Carlton (Betts, Garlett, Yarran)
Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt.

Famous exoduses.

In order of how many people left.

Adelaide 2019
Gold Coast 2015-2019
Brisbane (the year Docherty, Yeo, etc) left
Carlton (Betts, Garlett, Yarran)
Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt.
Funny, Geelong lost more in 2010 than Adelaide in 2019.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Funny, Geelong lost more in 2010 than Adelaide in 2019.

There is a clear difference though. Adelaide has massive issues behind the scenes. The only issue involving Geelong was Ablett going to Gold Coast and the coach giving up. The players in general were fine, as evidenced by them winning the flag the year after.

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've had a look at the Crows' list, and with those who have already exited, I've worked out a few more names I think they can afford to lose this off-season, as long as they can get some currency back (in terms of draft picks). I've gone with this structure for the side:

1 ruckman 199cm+ - O'Brien
1 forward/ruck 198cm+ - Himmelberg
2 forwards 193cm+ - Walker, Lynch
3 sub-193cm forwards - Galluci, Murphy, Stengle
3 backs 193cm+ - Talia, Keath, Hartigan
3 sub-193cm backs - Smith, Laird, Kelly
3 wingers/outside mids (2 on-field, one on the bench) - Seedsman, Milera, Poholke
6 centre square/inside mids (3 on-field, 3 on the bench) - Sloane, Crouch bros, Gibbs, Wilson, Jones

View attachment 763691

Honestly don't think they're in too bad a spot there, if they get a full crack at this year's National and Rookie Draft to re-fill with a fresh set of 18-year-olds, and really utilise the SANFl as a development tool. Not too much "square peg into a round hole" work needed when structuring up, too. For the most part, players are playing their best and most natural role. Note too that only one player in the main 22 is under 21 (Chayce Jones, who I'd begin using as a rover, as he projects to be and was used as at SANFL level this year), so they've still got a fair bit of experience mixed with youngsters who have been in the system long enough to deserve a proper crack ahead of tired (exiting) older guys.

Now obviously at this stage, it's hard for them to be that aggressive with the restructure, particularly as some of those name I'd exit have 1-2 years left on their deals. However, keeping them (if they want to stay) isn't necessarily problematic. I think a lot of the issue with the Crows is their gameplan and playing style. Clarify the roles, and give license to attack and be more direct, and they'll at least be mid-table, rather than the doomsday predictions that some have made.

Are you saying we should get rid of Brown & Doedee?

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Are you saying we should get rid of Brown & Doedee?

Not saying they're not good players who'll likely be good contributors going forward. However, in an aggressive trading strategy designed to refresh the list, they could be tradeable currency (could each net a draft pick inside the top 30), who in the setup I outlined could conceivably be expendable.

Got to give something to get something, and if the Crows have depth anywhere, it's in guys who can play HB and BP. Why not use that to fill other areas of need (via incoming draft picks, or undervalued young talent from elsewhere)?

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not saying they're not good players who'll likely be good contributors going forward. However, in an aggressive trading strategy designed to refresh the list, they could be tradeable currency (could each net a draft pick inside the top 30), who in the setup I outlined could conceivably be expendable.

Got to give something to get something, and if the Crows have depth anywhere, it's in guys who can play HB and BP. Why not use that to fill other areas of need (via incoming draft picks, or undervalued young talent from elsewhere)?

I'd trade Brad Crouch and Sloane before Doedee!

Back