Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep thats about the size of it!I cant see anything more the A league can do to boost interest and ratings.Even playing over summer hasnt worked and they now have the AFLW to contend with as well.

AFLW sure, but I think BBL (and to a much lesser extend WBBL) and other cricket really prevented them from finding any real ground. At this point, they may as well just go back to a march start and finish on the AFL bye week,

It was a stinker of an attendance in a brand spanking new stadium for their first A League match.....particularly given they were apparently giving away tonnes of free tickets and by all reports there were several thousand less than the announced attendance.

This is the franchise that produces the likes of pippen that call the Giants "the short people" and come on to here to insist that there is a great fraud happening in the counting of Giants crowds.
Source???

I swear this is what a lot of people say about GWS. They give out free tickets and their attendance figures are dodgy. But like GWS, it is all guesswork and useless at that. Who cares if they give away free tickets if they are planning on growing the game and how the hell would you know what the official attendance figures are.

I am sure, if roles were reversed, you would have callled whoever done this a "soccer-RL" troll by now.....

Wookie's of the view - if I am getting him right - that you can't make any judgement whatsoever about the impact of Kayo because there is no primary data released.

Don't think you would be agreeing with me and I am the only other person who has given a view on it (apart from Pippen the tormented wanderer). The evidence that is available suggests that it doesn't go close to explaining the drop off in ratings.

The reality is, the FTA ratings have collapsed as well. Mates i know who got Kayo for the football would still watch Ch 7 for the FTA games cos terrestrial is more reliable.

The loss of the EPL probably had some effect at least to give the downward spiral a kick start but there was never much evidence of large volumes of people watching the premier league on foxtel. Between foxtel and telstra there wasn't enough justification to trump optus from paying $50/60m for the rights

thats what i meant. It is impossible to say what impact Kayo has had. Any theoretical impact is just that; guesswork. I think it is an easy excuse and doesn't explain everything anyway

Getting this fabled "large support for soccer" is going to be hard because it doesn't exist!

This is the A League's biggest problem (of the FFA's problem previously and now the franchisees' problem). It has to deal with ridiculous expectations for growth based on delusional belief in the size of the games popularity.

The reality is the A-League is a second rate version of a sport that most Australian sports fans have either little to moderate interest in.
whatever. you can ignore the huge crowds the touring teams get, the high rate of participation and the fact that Optus uses overseas soccer as the mantlepiece to sell Optus sports subs.

Just look at bigfooty, the soccer forum is the 2nd biggest sports forum outside cricket, not counting the subject sport.. not many NSW or Qld RL fans here either of course

Of which, only 200K of the 1.5M posts are on the football Australia sub-section... for me, that outlines the issue soccer has in this country to the tee. Heck,I am one of those "euro snobs" and it is up the A-legaue to get me to care about the local product. They have massively failed here and can do way better.

Source???

I swear this is what a lot of people say about GWS. They give out free tickets and their attendance figures are dodgy. But like GWS, it is all guesswork and useless at that. Who cares if they give away free tickets if they are planning on growing the game and how the hell would you know what the official attendance figures are.

I am sure, if roles were reversed, you would have callled whoever done this a "soccer-RL" troll by now.....

thats what i meant. It is impossible to say what impact Kayo has had. Any theoretical impact is just that; guesswork. I think it is an easy excuse and doesn't explain everything anyway

whatever. you can ignore the huge crowds the touring teams get, the high rate of participation and the fact that Optus uses overseas soccer as the mantlepiece to sell Optus sports subs.

Just look at bigfooty, the soccer forum is the 2nd biggest sports forum outside cricket, not counting the subject sport.. of course, not many NSW or Qld RL fans here either.

Of which, only 200K of the 1.5M posts are on the football Australia sub-section... for me, that outlines the issue soccer has in this country to the tee. Heck,I am one of those "euro snobs" and it is up the A-legaue to get me to care about the local product. They have massively failed here and can do way better.
I'm sure certain people had a huge fear of the soccer world cup coming to Australia when there was nothing to fear.
Only the insecure fear soccer.

I'm sure certain people had a huge fear of the soccer world cup coming to Australia when there was nothing to fear.
I dont think people feared it. I think people were pissed off at the assumptions soccer people made. Specifically that the AFL and NRL should roll over, just for a pat on the head from THE WORLD GAME.

By the time they realised that wasn't enough and other codes would actually need appropriate compensation, it was pretty close to being to late.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

This fear crap, was always that...crap.

The AFLs issue was around the operation of its venues and season, not to mention the commercial implications it would have on the League. Throwing in Docklands and the MCG without even asking anyone about the ramifications of that was outright stupid, but not as stupid as threatening to get Docklands compulsorily acquired for the event.

There's probably an element of fear there.

You can imagine the Commission sitting around a big table, sipping tea out of their finest China, discussing the next multi billion dollar deal, and someone says what about that opening round of the A-League!

What about it?

75,000 turned out!

For one game?! Geez, that's pretty good!

No...that's for the whole round.

Oh....

And they might have reached 200k in ratings on Foxtel.

For a single game?!

No, that's for the whole round.

Source???

Yep, that's right.

The source was a combination of twitter talk and me using the same framework that GWS knockers use. I.e. the stadium looked comfortably less than half full and the announced crowd was 60% full

Point is, Wanderers obsessed with the Giants like Pippen need not offer us his own revised estimates for Giants games like he did all year

I agree mostly....it is not complete guesswork though. We know from Kayo's official release that it is not possible Kayo is responsible for anything close to a majority of the collapse in ratings

They didn't even mention the A League in their release. Apparently the NRL's highest games were getting reach figures of almost 70K.

As a potentially relevant comparison the Oztam streaming figures (for foxtel now / go) for an NRL game of 68K stream starts (which may exceed reach numbers if it counts multuple starts from the same device...not sure but still marginal) produced a VPM rating of only 18K

So you would need to believe that Kayo is concealing its good news story on the A League outperforming its foxtel ration many many fold to believe it is even half of what the NRL is getting.

Also the fact that FTA TV ratings are so very very dire points further to Kayo not being responsible for much at all

That's precisely the problem I am talking about. Completely misreading the significance of people that rock up to one off events (where the crowd in attendance often exceeds the TV ratings) and high participation rates which are mostly people who follow other sports but soccer represents a fun, easy and safe game to play

Optus soccer numbers provides a good example of how soccer is far less popular in this country than some of its more deluded adherents are convinced.

The champions league final between two big 6 english clubs had a total of 16.5 million live minutes streamed across all of its devices. This translates to about an average of 140K.

Just look at bigfooty, the soccer forum is the 2nd biggest sports forum outside cricket, not counting the subject sport.. not many NSW or Qld RL fans here either of course

Yep, soccer is a moderately popular second tier sport in this country. Maybe just ahead of basketball

If the FFA / A League have failed at anything they have failed at expectations management. Just because a decent number of people take an interest in the top end of european soccer it doesn't follow that something can be done that can lock in interest of casual soccer fans in a second rate soccer comp here

There's probably an element of fear there.

You can imagine the Commission sitting around a big table, sipping tea out of their finest China, discussing the next multi billion dollar deal, and someone says what about that opening round of the A-League!

What about it?

75,000 turned out!

For one game?! Geez, that's pretty good!

No...that's for the whole round.

Oh....

And they might have reached 200k in ratings on Foxtel.

For a single game?!

No, that's for the whole round.

Brilliant!

#smellthefear

A bit of joy at 9:

The NRL grand final gives Nine another ratings week win
October 14, 2019 9:07
by ZOE WILKINSON
Seven was the most watched network on Saturday night, earning a 31.8% audience share. Seven News attracted 772,000 metro viewers, and its 7pm broadcast of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban had 351,000 metro viewers.
Up against Ten’s broadcast of the Bathurst 1000 Supercars Championship, Seven’s telecast of the Caulfield horse racing attracted just 94,000 metro viewers.
Nine-versus-Seven.png

Seven Network’s weekly share was 27.3%. The most-watched multi-channel was a tie between 7Two and 10 Bold, on 3.8%.
Nine won the week on 30.7% after topping Sunday through Wednesday nights, thanks to juggernaut reality program The Block and the NRL Grand Final – which was broadcast on Sunday night in prime time and earned a 46.4% share for the evening.

Be interesting to see the regionals ratings for the Bathurst 1000 & Fox, particularly given 7s new CEOs involvement in motorsport.

Probably based on the GF for AFL footy, Origin for the NRL, World Cup for soccer ...

Naaah it's precisely not that

it's based on the fact that:

-the AFL pulls maybe about 300 million adult viewer hours a year, RL maybe about 200 million odd......and soccer would be a much smaller amount despite the massive volumes of it globally that are accessible through various means

-the AFL particularly can pull over 1 million average adult viewers to games more weeks than not during the season...rugby league probably gets to 750K averages with similar frequency......soccer never gets anything like that outside of world cups

Naaah it's precisely not that

it's based on the fact that:

-the AFL pulls maybe about 300 million adult viewer hours a year, RL maybe about 200 million odd......and soccer would be a much smaller amount despite the massive volumes of it globally that are accessible through various means

-the AFL particularly can pull over 1 million average adult viewers to games more weeks than not during the season...rugby league probably gets to 750K averages with similar frequency......soccer never gets anything like that outside of world cups

& thats why the World Cup numbers encourage the belief that there are people out there that follow the game, just not the A- League. I dont watch WAFL footy, how are the VFL ratings/ bums on seats?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you can disagree all you like - but the number of times ive seen soccer folks on my twitter feed crap on about the relevance of participation figures to potential popularity, you'd probably have a different opinion.

So not the Euro snob effect, think thats what its was referred to, too good for A- League.
Twitter feed, good luck with your projects. :'(

This fear crap, was always that...crap.

The AFLs issue was around the operation of its venues and season, not to mention the commercial implications it would have on the League. Throwing in Docklands and the MCG without even asking anyone about the ramifications of that was outright stupid, but not as stupid as threatening to get Docklands compulsorily acquired for the event.
That's what the AFL said, but there was so much anti soccer rhetoric at the time which i put down to fear. Fear that kids would take to soccer.
For non AFL fans it came over as insular by the AFL and some AFL fans.
I really can't see any fear of the biggest sporting event in the world coming to Australia, if it gets kids playing sport and away from computer games.
I await the obvious attacks by the insular fans

That's what the AFL said, but there was so much anti soccer rhetoric at the time which i put down to fear. Fear that kids would take to soccer.
I really can't see any fear of the biggest sporting event in the world coming to Australia, if it gets kids playing sport and away from computer games.

Can you provide links in support of your claim that...

"there was so much anti soccer rhetoric at the time"

I reckon you need to establish it is not a strawman before you can "put it down to fear"

Apologies if you take this question as a an attack!

I think the main reason is that non-AFL fans are uneducated about the sporting landscape in Australia. Many are still of the view that the Government handed Docklands over to the AFL for nothing. Many don't understand that it's the AFL which makes a 100,000 capacity stadium like the MCG possible.

There was this expectation that the AFL should not play their season, and you'd have to wonder what kind of a moron would have such an expectation?

Then there was surprise expressed by these fans that the AFL had long-term leases over their two primary stadiums.

Then there was surprise by these fans that the Government had zero sway over Docklands and that the AFL's hold on it was watertight. There were calls to change the laws! To send in the troops!

Then there was surprise that even getting a hold of the MCG was going to result in tens of millions of dollars in compensation being paid to the AFL.

Soon after, we received one vote...

& thats why the World Cup numbers encourage the belief that there are people out there that follow the game, just not the A- League. I dont watch WAFL footy, how are the VFL ratings/ bums on seats?

Which is a major source of delusion. Just because people jump on a bandwagon once every 4 years doesn't make them followers of the game in any serious sense of the term. Likewise people that just watch the AFL Grand final or the state of origin aren't serious followers of those codes

The point is the AFL has 27 hours of football each weekend for half the year averaging 450k viewers per hour (FTA and STV) or about 18 at 600k if you account for overlapping games. Not to mention the 35k average going to games

If I am correct in trying to disentangle the point you are trying to make the state leagues aren't that relevant apart from providing a small top up to the total popularity of the game.

The state of origin is on for 6 hours a year and Socceroos world cup games normally 6 hours every four years. There are 600 hours of AFL games each year.

Last edited:

The World Cup issue was well covered here at the time, nothing gained then - so much finger pointing, it cost $mils plenty.
We all lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back