News Gone: Eddie Betts traded to Carlton for 2020 4th Round Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope is written somewhere how good Crows have been for him on the whole. Was no chance of being a Hall of Famer when left Carlton, now is a lock. When he gets in will be as a Crow and career montage will be his Blues goal vs Collingwood then all the Crows ones - plus maybe one he'll get in first few weeks back next season. If they'd have stumped up a bit to keep him six year ago he'd likely be retired by now.

Week two at Adelaide Oval would be great to see him, especially if we have mural or something by his pocket. The joy he's given to the club over won't be forgotten.

If you didnt have enough reason to be furious at our club's administration, this is it. They ruined one of the few genuinely special relationships in football, the love affair between Eddie Betts and Adelaide.

We loved Eddie, unconditionally. He had a relationship with our fans that maybe only one or two had. And right up until that camp, I believe that he loved the club the same. And from then on something changed, to the point where Carlton- who he always had a soft spot for- became a more attractive option.

It was probably the right football decision, but ******* hell am i sad it's come to this.

If you didnt have enough reason to be furious at our club's administration, this is it. They ruined one of the few genuinely special relationships in football, the love affair between Eddie Betts and Adelaide.

We loved Eddie, unconditionally. He had a relationship with our fans that maybe only one or two had. And right up until that camp, I believe that he loved the club the same. And from then on something changed, to the point where Carlton- who he always had a soft spot for- became a more attractive option.

It was probably the right football decision, but ******* hell am i sad it's come to this.
The twins happened....

That’s why we can’t have nice things.

The fact we've had several indigenous players leave in the last 2 years shows something must have not been liked at the camp
Eddie Betts
Ellis-Yolmen
Charlie Cameron
Curtly Hampton
Seems a bit too odd to be pure coincidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact we've had several indigenous players leave in the last 2 years shows something must have not been liked at the camp
Eddie Betts
Ellis-Yolmen
Charlie Cameron
Curtly Hampton
Seems a bit too odd to be pure coincidence

Cameron left prior to it.

So, just watched Eddies interview. Very measured. Didnt want to say a bad thing about the Crows. But, you could just tell by the look on his face and they way he was speaking he has had a massive weight lifted from his shoulders.

Faark I'm deflated.
If we ever hoped to be a destination club I think Eddie just put paid to that.

Or shits changed.

3 years ago and we have a list not only capable of challenging for a premiership, we are.

The past 2 years have seen this club implode, and via that, made the only option left to pick up the pieces, refresh the list and start the process ago. It's not wronging anyone, it's just things change and on our end, Betts is one of the players we need to move on due to his age, and how we've focused small forwards last year.

It's the price of such failure. If we were still top 4-6, you'd probably find that only Douglas, and Jacobs would be moved on, and we'd pony up for Greenwood/Keath.

Either way the club makes us speculate because no one is allowed to know what's really going on behind those doors, that's a secret that members and fans will never be privy to, unless this club wants to actually change for real. What I know for a fact is the club moved on a much loved player who is still capable of playing good AFL footy and had 1 year left on his contract, we moved him on, got basically nothing in return and we're also paying some of his salary. It's more than just the price of failure, we're doing Eddie a solid for some reason, most likely we reneged on promises made, but I wouldn't put it past this club that something more harmful happened.

In before one of our usual suspects pops up with another of the world's falsest dichotomies.

"Well, you weren't happy when we wouldnt play the kids, and now you're not happy when we ruin the relationship with a club legend to the point that he no longer wants to be associated with the club. Just can't win with you, can we? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:"

Sad day for the club. In his first four years here, Eddie thrived in our environment, we were on the ride with him and I’m grateful we saw the best of Betts. Through all those goals of the year, it was that preliminary final night that I’ll remember the most. You knew you were in Eddie’s house, the tone he set to start that game was just electric.
Today, in my view, Eddie looked like a man who was just relieved to be out of our football club. What happened in the events post Grand Final day 2017 (the camp) and even pre-2017 (appointing a Burton-type as head of football) hopefully never ever repeats at this club again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back